Home Blog Page 648

WhatsApp may exit Nigeria over $220m fine

0

One week after Nigeria’s Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Commission imposed a $220 million fine on WhatsApp for a data privacy breach, the Meta-owned company may suspend its operations in the country due to further regulatory demands.

Sources close to the situation indicate that Meta, WhatsApp’s parent company, is contemplating withdrawing certain services from Nigeria.

Alongside the substantial fine, the FCCPC has directed WhatsApp to cease sharing user data with other Facebook companies and third parties without explicit user consent. The commission also requires WhatsApp to disclose details about its data collection practices and to enhance user control over data usage.

“It would be impossible to provide WhatsApp in Nigeria…” READ MORE

All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from According.

Contact: [email protected]

#EndBadGovernanceInNigeria: Abians shun hunger protest

0

Abians shunned the hunger protest that started on Thursday across the country and have opted for a sit-at-home for reasons best known to them.

Our correspondent reports that due to the electricity supply and the early morning rain that began at 4:30 am, many Abians stayed indoors.

An Abian, Chika Nwoke, who spoke to our correspondent on Thursday said, “The rain worked in our favour, not only Abians but the south-east”.

Meanwhile, in Umuahia, there was no unusual assembly of people and therefore no protests, even though some shops were closed, including banks.

While in Aba, there were skeletal movements, but no mass assembly or protest anywhere. Though shops were closed and streets deserted. Aba remained peaceful as of the time of filing this report.

Similarly in the Ohafia area, there was no protest as the area was peaceful.

Earlier in the week the state Commissioner of Police, Kenechukwu Onwuemelie, had revealed the preparedness of the police to ensure peaceful protest.

Aba area during #EndBadGovernanceInNigeria protest
Aba area during #EndBadGovernanceInNigeria protest

All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from According.

Contact: [email protected]

Kaduna: Protesters set KASTLEA office ablaze, loot property

0

What started like a peaceful protest on Thursday morning in Kaduna eventually turned violent as protesters set ablaze the office of the Kaduna Traffic Law Enforcement Agency, KASTLEA.
Our correspondent reports that the protesters also looted property in the agency.
It was gathered that the protesters went on the rampage when they discovered that they outnumbered the security operatives.
The protesters also looted property at private residences around the KASTLEA office.
The Police Public Relations Officer in the state is yet to speak on the incident as he did not pick his calls
Kaduna: Protesters set KASTLEA office ablaze, loot property

Kano gov declares 24-hour curfew

0

The Governor of Kano State, Abba Yusuf, has declared a 24-hour curfew in the state after the protest against economic hardship in the state turned violent.

This was contained in a statement issued by the governor’s spokesperson, Sunusi Tofa, on Thursday.

According to the statement, the decision comes after an Emergency State Security Council meeting dedicated to addressing the escalating violence and disruptions that have emerged amid civil demonstrations.

Tofa said to safeguard lives and preserve public and private property, the decision to implement a curfew was made unanimously during the emergency meeting.

“The imposition of this curfew is a necessary measure to restore order and ensure the safety of our communities.

“It is paramount that we protect our citizens from further harm and preserve the sanctity of our state’s institutions and businesses,” he said.

The governor called on all citizens to remain vigilant and united during this challenging time.

“Let us not allow the actions of a few selfish individuals to divide us.

“Together, we can navigate these challenges and fortify our resolve to build a stronger, more resilient Kano State,” he said.

The statement noted that all security agencies in the state have been directed to ensure full compliance with the curfew, and citizens are urged to heed this directive for their safety and the well-being of all.

According Online reports that hoodlums earlier looted the newly built Nigeria Communication Commission Industrial Park in Kano State.

Photos and videos circulating online shows the hoodlums setting the building on fire and making off with valuable equipment like computers, furniture, and electronics.

Octogenarian calls for end to #EndBadGovernanceInNigeria protest

0

An octogenarian, Olasupo Oluleye, has pleaded with the #EndBadGovernanceInNigeria demonstrators to end the ongoing protest on Friday, August 2.

Nigerians have stormed major cities, protesting against the dire economic situation in the country.

While offering his support for the demonstration, Pa Oluleye emphasised the need for efficient resource management.

“Nigerians do not need to suffer, depending on palliatives. President Bola Tinubu must sit up now and take bold steps to alleviate the plight of the masses.

“Probably maintaining the removal of the oil subsidy while putting the complete revival of electricity tariff in place,” the 85-year-old said.

The elder statesman proposed merging the ministries to around 25, a task he believes can be confidently managed by three permanent secretaries to avoid undue lobbying.

Looking ahead, he expressed hope that the next election in 2027 would be conducted in a better environment.

The According reports that some protesters said the protests would continue unless President Tinubu meets their demands.

They called on the president to do the needful and the
protests would be immediately called off.

Addressing journalists in Abuja, the Director of Mobilisation, Take It Back Movement, Damilare Adenola lamented that the oppression under the president’s leadership had lasted too long.

He said, “The various court orders restricting protesters to particular locations are an aberration.

”Our presence here today is an announcement that we have been oppressed for too long.

“Today, we have risen. We are saying to the president that unless President Bola Tinubu accedes to our demands, we will remain on the streets. We want to see the president on the street. During the protest, he was on the street.”

One of the leaders of the Take It Back Movement, Ayoola Babalola, said the show of force around the premises of the Moshood Abiola is an embarrassment to the nation.
He vowed that protesters would not be intimidated.

BREAKING: Gov Yusuf imposes 24 hours curfew in Kano as looting, killings mar protest

0

Kano State Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf has imposed a 24 hours curfew in the state in a bid to check the breakdown of law and order following incidents of looting recorded during the ongoing protest.
The governor who addressed the media after an emergency meeting with heads of security agencies, said, “It is with heavy hearts that I address you today regarding the unfortunate events in the names of protests, which was hijacked by hoodlums and thugsm
“We organized a stakeholders meeting with traditional leaders, including the four Emir’s of Karaye, Rano, Karaye and Gaya, including Kano, to ensure that we dialogue with the organizers.”
He said during the meeting, he acknowledged that protest is a constitutional right but urged the organizers to conduct themselves in an orderly manner with a promise to receive their message and forward same to President Bola Tinubu.
“Our goal was to facilitate a peaceful dialogue with the protesters, and in the morning I received the protesters and received their message.
“While I commend those who conducted themselves peacefully, however the protest was hijacked by thugs and hoodlums who went on looting properties and maiming innocent lives, aided by the enemies of the state,” Yusuf added.
According to the governor, his administration has already reported those suspected of sponsoring the hoodlums to the security agencies.
He eventually announced that, at the emergency security meeting, it was agreed that a 24 hours curfew be put in place until peace and tranquility returns to the state.
“Under the provisions of the Constitution and the powers vested in me as the Governor of Kano, I hereby order a 24 hours curfew in and around the state, till peace is returned,” he said.
The governor confirmed that some persons were reportedly killed during the protest, while some thugs went on rampage, breaking into shops and houses to loot properties.
BREAKING: Gov Yusuf imposes 24 hours curfew in Kano as looting, killings mar protest

Hoodlums attack journalists in Kano

0

A bus belonging to the Channels Television carrying about 11 journalists from different media houses, both print and broadcast, covering the hardship protest, was attacked by the rampaging hoodlums.

The attackers who were carrying sticks and machetes along Sokoto Road, were said to have smashed the glasses of the vehicle and those inside were showered with glass particles with a TVC Correspondent receiving minor injury.

Earlier in the morning, some hoodlums were also reported to have smashed the rear glass of the WAZOBIA FM radio official vehicle while covering the protest.

As the protest continues, some youths were said to have set ablaze the Nigerian Communications Commission Office located along State road after looting the place.

Similarly, the protesters have continued to reck havoc in the ancient city by attacking shops and other business places as well as looting the places.

Meanwhile, hundreds of protesters wearing face caps with the inscription “Peace” on them were said to have stormed the streets chasing away protesters who engaged in looting shops and other business premises.

The ‘Peace’ protesters, in their green face caps, chanted “Mu yanci mukeso ba ruwan mu da kayan kowa,” meaning, “We need freedom from the government, we don’t want anybody’s property.

All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from According.

Contact: [email protected]

Delta: Banks, offices shut as protest grounds Asaba

0

The #EndBadGovernance protest is going on in Delta State, especially Asaba, the state capital.
Asaba city was completely locked down as shops, businesses, markets and offices were under lock and key.
The streets were also deserted as banks and other financial institutions in the city were closed.
The protesters converged at the popular Interbau Roundabout, from where they proceeded through Nnebisi Road to the main market, Ogbeogonogo.
Prior to their departure from Interbau Roundabout, police and soldiers tried to restrict their movement.
But later, the protesters maneuvered their way, moving in a file towards Nnebisi Road and Ogbeogonogo market.
None of the banks officially announced a closure, but their employees said they were advised not to report for work on Thursday as the financial institutions monitor the protest.
A civil servant based in Warri simply said, “I’m not going to work,” when asked. A staff of a hotel said they were advised to exercise caution.
The Delta State House of Assembly Complex was also closed.
A supervisor with the NNPC filling station said “We will closely monitor the situation and provide further communication, depending on the developments of the protest.”
However, the secretariat of the Warri South Local Government Council, as well as health centres and markets controlled by the Council, were fully operational on Thursday
The development may not be unconnected with the arrangements being perfected for the swearing in of supervisors of the Council.
The Chairman of Nigeria Union of Local Government Employees, (NULGE), Warri South Local Government Council chapter, Comrade Raymond Emiko, said normal activities were ongoing.
Meanwhile, the Commissioner of Police, Olufemi Abaniwonda, hailed the protest as peaceful.
Delta: Banks, offices shut as protest grounds Asaba

Don’t join #EndBadGovernance protest, IPOB tells Ndigbo

0

The Independent People of Biafra has called on Ndigbo across the country not to join the ongoing nationwide #EndBadGovernance protest.

The pro-Biafran group said rather than joining the protest, Ndigbo should be security alert and protect their lives and property during and after the protest.

The group added that both IPOB, Ohanaeze Ndigbo and many other Igbo groups have already warned them not to join the protest.

They alleged that a security report at its disposal indicated that security agencies had concluded plans to carry out targeted attacks against the Ndigbo during the protest.

In a statement on Thursday, the group, through its spokesman, Emma Powerful, claimed that there were also plans to sponsor criminal elements in the South-East to carry out violent protests to provide opportunities for the security agencies to launch attacks against Ndigbo during this period.

The statement said, “Therefore, Ndigbo should be careful and know that they are hated and targeted across the contraption called Nigeria.

“Furthermore, the false accusations against IPOB and Mr Peter Obi by the Federal Government as the sponsors of the proposed protest are part of the sinister plan and agenda to target Ndigbo for elimination.

“The false alarm that IPOB and Ndigbo are sponsoring the protest is another false flag operation targeted at killing Ndigbo during the protest.

“Neither, Ndigbo nor IPOB called for the Nigerians to protest against the leadership’s disastrous performance in Nigeria. Interestingly, both the IPOB, Ohanaeze Ndigbo, and many other Igbo groups have warned Ndigbo not to join the proposed peaceful national protest against hardship and hunger in the wider Nigeria.

The group said although Ndigbo are facing the same economic hardship that others are facing, they are usually the victims of any protest in Nigeria.

The statement added, “We must learn our lessons. If need be, the only protests that Ndigbo should sponsor and fully participate in are the protest for the release of Mazi Nnamdi Kanu and a call or a UN-supervised referendum.

“What we are interested in now is for President Bola Tinubu to release Mazi Nnamdi Kanu and give us a date for the Biafran referendum for Biafrans to decide their fate in Nigeria or an independent Biafra Nation.

“As the hunger protest plans rage, Ndigbo must ensure that they defend themselves and their properties against hoodlums and tribal bigots who will capitalise on the protest to loot their materials in our shops.

“Moreso, every Igbo person in the East, North and West must be on security alert during this period of their protest.  Ndigbo will be the target of the federal government’s brutal force during the proposed peaceful protest. Don’t be a victim.”

Protest against hardship turns violent in Nyanya, Abuja

0

The protest against economic hardship and hunger in Nyanya, Abuja, on Thursday, August 1, descended into violence when some individuals hijacked the demonstration, leading to clashes with the Nigerian Army.
Initially, the protesters, who had gathered at Nyanya bridge, were peaceful, voicing their concerns about the country’s economic situation. However, tensions escalated when a faction began vandalizing public property, including street lights, and hurling stones at soldiers.
Read also: Minister laments looting of Kano Tech Hub by alleged #EndBadGovernance protesters
The soldiers, deployed to restore order, faced resistance from the aggressive protesters. The scene quickly turned chaotic, with many people fleeing for safety.
Amid the unrest, some protesters were heard shouting “Bamayi” (meaning “We are no longer interested”). It remains unclear whether these individuals were part of the original protest group or had infiltrated with different motives.
The post Protest against hardship turns violent in Nyanya, Abuja appeared first on Latest Nigeria News | Top Stories from TVN.