Home Blog Page 647

Fire guts Lagos plank market

0

Property worth millions of naira was, on Thursday, razed in an early morning fire that gutted three shops at the Ladipo Baale Roundabout Plank Market, Orile-Iganmu, Lagos.

The Permanent Secretary, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, Dr. Femi Oke-Osanyitolu, said no death was recorded in the incident.

The fire, which occurred at midnight, affected a section of the plank market.

According to Oke-Osanyitolu, further investigations revealed that the inferno started from a pile of planks due to power surge before spreading quickly to three other shops within the market.

He said, “No casualties, nor injuries were recorded in the incident. A significant quantity of planks and properties equally worth millions of naira, were salvaged by responders during the operation.

“Collaborative efforts of the responders were able to quickly bring the fire under control before it could spread to more shops.

“The agency’s Response Team and members of the Plank Market Association conducted Public Advocacy on preventive measures, to avoid such incidents in the future.

“LASEMA Response Team, Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service and the Nigerian Police Force responded to the emergency.”

All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from According.

Contact: [email protected]

According photojournalist arrested in Abuja

0

A photojournalist with The According newspaper, Kayode Jaiyeola, is currently held at the FCT police command.

Jaiyeola in a distress call to one of his colleagues said he was arrested at the Eagles Square by an officer attached to the Office of the National Security Adviser.

Jaiyeola said the officer then handed him over to men of the FCT police command while he was currently being held.

He added that his phone and camera had been seized by the police.

“An officer attached to the NSA picked me up at the Eagles Square and handed me over to the police command. I am currently at the police command. They have taken my phone and camera away from me,” he said in a distress call to our correspondent.

All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from According.

Contact: [email protected]

EndBadGovernance protest: Nigerians already winning – Oby Ezekwesili declares

0

Former Education Minister, Oby Ezekwesili has given an update on the ongoing nationwide protest.
Ezekwesili said despite attempts by the Nigerian Government to muzzle the protest, Nigerians are already winning.
She reminded the political class that no force on earth has ever successfully oppressed a set of people permanently.
Posting on X, Ezekwesili wrote: “With The People of Nigeria.
“Is it not now evident that the Citizens of our country have already won this?
“How else can one explain this massive counter-operation of @NigeriaGov to muzzle Citizens and quell a protest that is themed #EndBadGovernanceInNigeria ?
“Wisdom should have the Nigerian Political Class know that historically, no force on earth has ever successfully oppressed a People permanently.
“Bad Governance has factually oppressed and destroyed the lives and future of Citizens.
“When the People then muster the courage to ask that you stop it, listen! All these attempts to throw the kitchen sink at the people is unwise. Tragically unwise.
“Two Wise Game-changing Moves that the @NGRPresident @nassnigeria
@NGRSenate @HouseNGR, Governors and State Assemblies can make out of the #EndBadGovernaceInNigeriaProtests
“Use it as the *Golden Moment of Opportunity* for a *Reset of Nigeria* being offered by our Citizens! Launch a
* A Credible National Conversation on the most Effective Structure and Direction for Good Governance in Nigeria at all Levels* for productivity, competitiveness, prosperity, justice, equity, equality, order, peace, harmony, stability and resilience.
“Come out to the Protest Grounds all over the Country and ENGAGE your Citizens. Hear them express their Demands to you directly. Do not lock yourselves away behind the High Gates of your publicly-funded State and Government houses enjoying indulgent lives while your Citizens are crying out in pain from the severity of economic hardship. Come out.
“Whether you do right or continue to do wrong by your people is entirely your Choice, Nigerian Governments led by
@officialABAT.
“As for the Nigerian People, the die is now cast and the rubicon is also now crossed on the matter of their knowledge of the supremacy of their collective Power over that of the Politicians, their Governments and the Bad Governance they give daily.
“It is easy to understand this. Between the People and their Politicians, who is fretting with Fear over the Protests?
“Whatever be your answer to that Question is in totally your hands.”
EndBadGovernance protest: Nigerians already winning – Oby Ezekwesili declares

Ex-minister, cleric lead #EndBadGovernanceInNigeria protest in Plateau

0

Hundreds of residents in Jos and several groups and associations on Thursday joined the ongoing #EndBadGovernance protest in the country.

This is in spite of several warnings and pleas by the government and some Civil Society Organisations in Plateau State to citizens to shun the nationwide protest against bad governance.

The protesters who came out as early as 7 am marched through various streets calling for an end to bad governance and prevailing economic hardship in the country.

They were led by a former Minister of Sports, Solomon Dalung, and a cleric, Prophet Isa Elbuba, who is the convener of the Initiative for a Better and Brighter Nigeria.

Security agents were, however, on the ground to forestall any form of violence during the protest which lasted for several hours

Addressing the protesters, Dalung, who was Minister of Youth and Sports Development under former president Muhammadu Buhari’s administration, asked security operatives not to intimidate protesters, because the amended Nigerian constitution gives rights to citizens to stage such peaceful protests.

He noted that the suffering currently being faced by Nigerians is becoming unbearable.

Meanwhile, Elbuba who is also the General Overseer of Evangelical Bible Outreach Ministries International called on President Bola Tinubu to resign for failing to address the situation.

Elbuba said, “President Bola Tinubu must resign, we can not wait for 2027 to change him, hunger will not allow us to endure that long.”

He added that he would mobilise more persons to join the protest in the coming days.

He said the economic challenges being visited on ordinary Nigerians were deliberate. According to him, Nigeria as a country has all it takes to cater for all citizens adequately.

Elbuba lamented that the government had enslaved its citizens in their land, and insisted that such must stop.

“We are going to be here for the next ten days, if you don’t stand up for your rights, no one will do it for you,” Elbuba said.

He further said government officials were afraid of the ongoing protest because they knew that the policies and programmes being implemented were anti-people.

The clergymen insisted that they would not retreat until the demands of the masses for a better living were achieved.

Also, a civil society organisation, Citizens Coalition against Corruption and Injustice led by Chris Iyama called on Tinubu to declare a state of emergency on food security with immediate effect.

Iyama also said the current administration under Tinubu was executing anti-people policies and demanded that the president set machinery in motion to take a review of his cabinet members and sack underperforming ministers as a way of restoring good governance.

“Tinubu policies have not addressed hunger, economic hardship, and insecurity been experiencing in Nigeria is a consequence of poor governance,” he said.

The convener further argued that there is no country in the world without a subsidy, but Tinubu removed the oil subsidy without effective management.

He said, “We demand a reversal of electricity tariff, transportation, and price control on commodities. We also want the government to cut down bogus spending on VIPs and other unwarranted demands.”

The executive director of CLEEN Foundation, Gad Peter, said Nigerian youths were only out for good governance and nothing else.

“The era of rhetoric is over… We want to see a practical solution by the government, ensure the protection of lives and properties, an economy that works for all,” Peter said.

UK’s Starmer warns social media firms to uphold law over misinformation

0

UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer warned social media companies Thursday they must uphold laws around spreading incendiary misinformation, following unrest blamed on the sharing of unverified details about the Southport knife attack.

“It’s also a crime and it’s happening on your premises,” Starmer said of the proliferation of misinformation “whipped up online”, which helped spark two nights of violence in English towns and cities after Monday’s stabbings.

All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from According.

Contact: [email protected]

Protests: Act quickly, address hunger issues – Alagbada urges Tinubu

0

An Abuja-based social crusader, Mr Kehinde Alagbada has called on President Bola Tinubu to hastily address the rising hunger in the country so as to end protest by angry Nigerians.
TVN reports that despite earlier efforts by the government, Nigerians trooped out in their numbers across the country, protesting the level of hardship and suffering they are going through.
In an open letter to the President amid the ongoing protest, Alagbada told Tinubu that, “while I still have faith in your administration and your vision for Nigeria, you must act quickly now.
“Hungry people are angry people, and I have witnessed this firsthand. I urge you to take immediate action to address the issue of hunger and prevent violent protest.”
“Please do everything you can to address these issues and bring Nigerians with better ideas to the table,” he appealed.
Alagbada, who said that he is a lover of Nigeria and President Tinubu, noted that he has seen several letters and complaints from Nigerians, with both realistic and unrealistic demands.
He said he was making a case for the realistic demands of Nigerians to be addressed as quick as possible.
“I share in President Tinubu’s vision and dream for our country where the children of the poor can breathe, the blind can see again, farming becomes attractive, and every child can access quality education.
“I commend you for your achievements so far, including local government autonomy, student loans among other life touching policies.
“For instance, the millions of naira allocations given to federal lawmakers for rice distribution in December was a waste as the rice never reached the intended beneficiaries.
“Instead, some lawmakers used only about five percent (5%) of the funds for the project and pocketed the rest for personal gain.”
“Mr. President, even those who love and believe in you are angry, mainly due to the ineffective of your cabinet members.
“Most of them have not performed well, and the Renewed Hope agenda is bigger than these individuals,” Alagbada, who is also an entrepreneur added.
He advised President Tinubu to also act quickly and replace cabinet members who were cogs in the wheel of the progress of his administration, adding that there were thousands of Nigerians out there with the capacity to bring better results to his administration if he employed them.
He also urged the President to create employment and empowerment opportunities for Nigerian youths “so that they won’t be idle and become devil’s workshop”.
Protests: Act quickly, address hunger issues – Alagbada urges Tinubu

Activist begins seven-day hunger strike in Anambra

0

A human rights activist and the Chairman of the Civil Liberties Organisation, Anambra State, Vincent Ezekwueme, has embarked on a seven-day hunger strike as his means of protest.

Ezekwueme said the hunger strike was his way of expressing dissatisfaction with the current socio-economic situation in the country.

“The escalating hardship, hunger, anger, poverty, unemployment, high cost of foodstuff, insecurity, and hopelessness forced me to embark on this journey as self-sacrifice since all pleas for leaders especially politicians to curtail the sufferings of Nigerians fell on deaf ear.

“I took the decision (hunger strike) also in support and solidarity with Nigerians protesting for available, accessible affordable foodstuff, overarching benevolent servant governance, employment, goods and services, conducive business environment and socio-economic justice,” said the human rights activist while fielding questions from journalists  in Onitsha on Thursday

On palliatives, the CLO boss appealed to the Federal Government to channel palliatives to citizens through religious leaders, Civil Society Organisations, and not political leaders.

He said the politicians said they used it to compensate their cronies, loyalists, relations, and friends, thereby defeating the laudable intention of the government.

Major Nigerian cities are witnessing protests against bad economic situation that they said has pushed many into extreme poverty.

In Abuja, the nation’s capital, some protesters who converged at the MKO Abiola Stadium said the protests would continue unless President Bola Tinubu meets their demands.

They called on the president to do the needful and the protests would be immediately called off.

Addressing journalists in Abuja, the Director of Mobilisation, Take It Back Movement, Damilare Adenola, lamented that the oppression under the president’s leadership had lasted too long.

He said, “The various court orders restricting protesters to particular locations are an aberration.

”Our presence here today is an announcement that we have been oppressed for too long.

“Today, we have risen. We saying to the president that unless President Bola Tinubu accede to our demands we will remain on the streets. We want to see the president on the street. During the protest, he was on the street.”

One of the leaders of the Take It Back Movement, Ayoola Babalola, said the show of force around the premises of the Moshood Abiola is an embarrassment to the nation.

He vowed that protesters would not be intimidated.

Russia slaps Google, Tiktok with sanction over failure to do away with ‘forbidden content’  

0

Russia punished Alphabet’s Google and TikTok on Wednesday for failing to comply with a communications regulator Roskomnadzor ruling about illegal content, according to the Moscow courts’ press service.
The court punished TikTok 4 million roubles and Google 5 million roubles (approximately $58,038) for their failure to find and remove previously listed as illegal information.
This latest stringent measure applied by Russia illustrates its tough constant demand that foreign digital platforms erase any content it considers illegal.
According to reports, social media platform compliance has repeatedly been an issue, resulting in several fines despite multiple directions and penalties.
READ ALSO: TikToker sentenced to 24 years in prison for insulting president, first family
For many years, Russia has imposed tiny but consistent fines on multinational technology companies for failing to erase content it considers illegal.
According to Reuters, Google has come under pressure from Moscow, specifically for removing YouTube channels associated with well-known Russian media figures and state authorities.
This development reflects the continuous and escalating dispute over the regulation of digital information, with Russia steadfast in maintaining its laws and IT businesses caught in the crossfire of differing international norms and expectations.
 
 
The post Russia slaps Google, Tiktok with sanction over failure to do away with ‘forbidden content’   appeared first on Latest Nigeria News | Top Stories from TVN.

Protest: Residents stay indoors in Imo, no demonstration recorded

0

Residents stayed indoors, and no protest was recorded, in Imo State as the nationwide protest kicked off on Thursday.
TVN reports that roads were deserted while ships and offices were closed.
Residents stayed at home to monitor events.
Our correspondent who went round Owerri, the state capital, observed that security agents were seen patrolling the metropolis.
A resident, who identified himself as Chinaza Nwosu, told our correspondent that the major reason why people did not come out was because of the recent killings and shootings that took place in the state.
“People were afraid of coming out for fear of being killed following what they have witnessed recently in the city where some people including security officers were killed,” he said.
The resident added that people may likely go about their businesses on Friday, having used Thursday to monitor the situation.
The Imo State Police Command, in a statement by the Public Relations Officer, ASP Henry Okoye, said security operatives drawn from the Armed Forces, Police, DSS, Civil Defense, Road Safety, Immigration and Fire Service have been deployed across the length and breadth of the state.
“This is in addition to the strategic deployment of tactical units who are mandated to clamp down on miscreants hibernating in the State. The state is relatively peaceful,” the statement said.
Protest: Residents stay indoors in Imo, no demonstration recorded

Police warn hoodlums against hijacking protest in Bauchi

0

The Bauchi State Police Command has said that the planned nationwide hunger protest in the state was hijacked by hoodlums who took advantage of the situation to carry out illicit activities.

This was disclosed by the command’s police public relations officer, Ahmad Wakil, in an interview with journalists in the state.

According to Wakil, “The police had received intelligence reports that some miscreants had planned to hijack the protest, which was meant to be a peaceful demonstration against hunger and poverty.

“The hoodlums intended to use the protest as a cover to carry out their nefarious activities, including looting and vandalism.”

He stated that to prevent this, the police command deployed its personnel to strategic locations across the state to maintain law and order and had also engaged with the organisers of the protest to ensure that the demonstration was peaceful and did not disrupt the normal activities of residents.

Wakil also warned the hoodlums who intended to hijack the protest that the police would not hesitate to deal with them decisively.

According Online reports that a major protest erupted Thursday, August 1, across Nigeria, driven by public dissatisfaction with current economic and social conditions.

Demonstrators voiced their frustrations nationwide, calling for reforms and greater accountability.

Earlier, President Bola Tinubu appealed for patience with his policies and urged citizens not to let hoodlums exploit the unrest.

The protest underscored the nation’s desire for change while highlighting the need for peaceful and constructive dialogue.

All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from According.

Contact: [email protected]