The United States has distanced itself from the killing of the Hamas leader, Ismail Haniyeh.
Hamas confirmed in a statement on Wednesday that its leader was killed by a “treacherous Zionist” attack on his residence in Tehran, Iran.
The slain leader was in Iran to attend the swearing-in ceremony of the country’s new president when he was killed in a suspected Israeli attack.
The U.S. Secretary of State, Antony Blinken, told Channel News Asia (CNA) on Wednesday that his country was not involved in the Hamas leader’s assassination.
Blinken, who is on a visit to Singapore, reiterated the need for a ceasefire in the Gaza Strip to reduce tensions in the Middle East.
He said the U.S. would continue to work for a ceasefire in the area.
The post U.S. distances self from Hamas leader’s killing appeared first on Latest Nigeria News | Top Stories from TVN.
U.S. distances self from Hamas leader’s killing
Afenifere hails FG for offering rice at lower price

The pan-Yoruba socio-political organisation, Afenifere, on Wednesday, commended the Federal Government for rolling out N50kg bags of rice to be sold for N40,000, lower than the current N70,000 market rate.
The Federal Government announced the cheaper rice on Monday as part of measures to forestall the planned hunger protest scheduled to start on Thursday, August 1, 2024.
In a statement on Wednesday by its National Publicity Secretary, Jare Ajayi, Afenifere reiterated its call for the organisers of the protest to call it off in the interest of peace.
The organisation commended the President Bola Tinubu-led administration, saying, “This will entail the resuscitation of the defunct commodity boards that would ensure the availability, distribution and sales of the commodities in various parts of the country. Incidentally, the government has expressed readiness to do this going by the disclosure of Vice President Kashim Shettima who announced the plan of the government to set up commodity boards to regulate the soaring prices of food in the country.
“Although the reason for the delay in getting the boards to be set up since then may not be immediately known, the government should use the opportunity of bringing commodities into the public space to have the boards set up.
“Members of the boards must be people within the vicinity of where the commodities are to be distributed and marketed so that the people there would be their watchdogs. Doing so would also remove the suspicion of the government wanting to impose on the people.
“You will recall that the government had not only begun the distribution of 20 trucks of rice per state, it has also directed that a bag be sold at N40,000 instead of above N70,000 at which it is being sold currently. Reports even have it that 10 additional trucks have been dispatched making it a total of 30 trucks per state.
“Some states such as Katsina, Bayelsa, etc. have acknowledged the receipt of the commodity just as some of them have even begun its distribution. Also, given steps being taken by the government to address identified problems in the country, particularly about food, Afenifere reiterates its earlier call on those behind a nationwide, ten-days-long protest to shelve it.”
He urged Tinubu to urgently ease the trauma of farmers in the country through, among others, transparent utilisation of the N2m package recently approved on the Accelerated Stabilisation and Advancement Plan of which agriculture is a key component as put forward by the Presidential Economic Coordination Council.
BREAKING: Nationwide protest: Police deactivate explosive device in Lagos
A few hours before the commencement of the anti-government protest, the Lagos State Police Command said its anti-bomb squad had deactivated an improvised explosive device.
It was deactivated in the Ikeja area of the state.
The Police Public Relations Officer of the command, Benjamin Hundeyin, confirmed the development to TVN.
He was, however, unable to give details of the development at the time of filing this report.
TVN reports that Nigerian youths, irked by the prevailing economic hardship in the country, scheduled a 10-day nationwide protest to commence on Thursday, August 1. Security agencies, however, had issued security alerts, urging the organisers of the protest to shelve the plan.
When contacted about the deactivation of the explosive device, Hundenyin simply said, “Yes, it happened today.”
BREAKING: Nationwide protest: Police deactivate explosive device in Lagos
NADECO USA asks international community to monitor hunger protest

Ahead of the August 1 nationwide protest against economic hardship, the United States of America chapter of the National Democratic Coalition has called on the international community to closely monitor the protest to ensure the safety of every Nigerian partaking in it.
NADECO USA chapter said it is wrong for the government to criminalise protests by targeting its organisers.
The President of NADECO USA, Dr Lloyd Ukwu, made the call during a news briefing in Port Harcourt, Rivers State capital on Wednesday.
Ukwu warned that using force or intimidation to quell the protest would be a violation of democratic principles and a serious threat to fundamental rights.
He noted that for several years, Nigerian leaders have deployed tribalism, ethnicity and religion to divide the the citizenry in a bid to suppress popular demands.
He said the body supports the planned peaceful protest as long as the participants confine themselves within the law.
Ukwu explained that freedom of expression is a fundamental human right under Article 19 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights inherent to all individuals irrespective of ethnicity, gender, nationality, religion and social status.
To that extent, he said protests are a catalyst to change, to reshape agendas and to spark positive debate.
He said, “Today marks a crucial juncture in Nigeria’s political history and development. It is with utmost concern and unwavering resolve that I speak on behalf of NADECO USA regarding the forthcoming protest by the Nigerian people, dubbed ‘End Bad Governance In Nigeria.’
“NADECO USA unequivocally endorse and support the planned peaceful protest, provided that it adheres to non-violence principles.
“Freedom of expression is a fundamental human right under Article 19 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, inherent to all individuals irrespective of ethnicity, gender, nationality, religion or social status.
“Protests are age-long ways for citizens to express themselves. The constitutional right to expression, be it political or social is safeguarded in Nigeria’s legal framework.
He added, “NADECO wishes to remind President Bola Tinubu and the Nigerian people that Tinubu himself is a product of incessant and numerous protests beginning with Chief MKO Abiola’s June 12, 1993, annulled elections.
“In 2014, prominent figures like President Tinubu, Pastor Tunde Bakare, Pastor Enoch Adeboye and Professor Wole Soyinka, exercised their rights to dissent, including symbolic acts that criticized the government.
“Why then should Nigerians be denied the right to peaceful protest today? While President Tinubu referenced revolution, it is essential to clarify that revolutions emerge originally rather than being orchestrated. It is disingenuous for the government to criminalise protest by targeting its organisers.
“We call on the international community to monitor this planned peaceful protest closely, ensuring the safety of every Nigerian Participant.
“This protest may evolve similarly to the one he supported in 2014. NADECO USA therefore considers it an irony of a circumstance and hypocrisy of the highest order for people to run all over the place to attempt to intimidate the Nigerian people who are genuinely desirous of defending their rights to good governance.”
EFCC creates new section to probe immigration frauds
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, has established an Immigration Fraud Section in some of its commands across the country.
EFCC spokesperson Dele Oyewale, in a statement on Wednesday in Abuja, said its chairman, Ola Olukoyede, disclosed this on Tuesday while receiving a delegation of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, RCMP.
The delegation was led by its Director General, Superintendent Rabhi Abdallah, to the EFCC corporate headquarters, in Abuja.
Olukoyede said the measure was to tackle immigration fraud and the accompanying reputational damage it was causing the country.
He said that the new section was established barely two weeks ago.
“Apart from what we have done in the foreign exchange market, two weeks ago, we set up an Immigration Fraud Section.
“They are in Lagos, Abuja, Port Harcourt, Kano and in all our zonal commands where we have embassies because we have seen quite a lot of fraud in that area.
“They have scammed people a lot, so we want to devote our attention and resources to that area to ensure that Nigerians and diplomatic missions in Nigeria will not be victims of visa and immigration scams again,” he said.
Olukoyede expressed the readiness of EFCC to partner with RCMP in the fight against corruption.
EFCC creates new section to probe immigration frauds
Police deactivate explosive device in Lagos
31st July 2024
Lagos State Police Public Relations Officer, SP Benjamin Hundeyin
The Lagos State Police Command anti-bomb squad has deactivated an improvised explosive device in the Ikeja area of the state.
The state Police Public Relations Officer, Benjamin Hundeyin, confirmed this to According Online on Wednesday.
He said the device, which was wrapped in a bag, was dropped by the roadside from an unregistered vehicle along Mobolaji Bank Anthony Way.
Details later…
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from According.
Contact: [email protected]
Kano won’t tolerate unruly conduct, says gov Yusuf

Kano State Governor, Abba Yusuf, on Wednesday, appealed to residents of the state to avoid any form of provocation during and after the hunger protest, expected to commence on Thursday.
Yusuf, who appealed, while addressing business leaders, traditional rulers, and religious leaders at the Government House on Wednesday, emphasized that protests will neither yield the desired results.
He said, “I urge those, who desire to exercise their human right to protest to refrain from any form of conduct that could be exploited by agents of destruction.”
“We have received credible intelligence reports that certain disgruntled individuals are recruiting thugs to incite trouble in the state.
“I assure you that the government will not tolerate such actions. Instead, I extend an invitation to those, who wish to demonstrate to come to the Government House, where I will be happy to listen to their grievances and engage them in constructive dialogue.”
He highlighted the state government’s efforts towards implementing policies and programmes aimed at enhancing the well-being of citizens, showcasing Kano’s blessings.
“We are united in our quest for positive change that will yield the desired objectives of peace, progress, and political stability.”
“However, I must emphasize that social media has had a negative impact by allowing the abuse of leaders, which will not help us to achieve our goals,” he added.
The governor’s appeal for calm and restraint comes as the state prepares for planned protests, urging residents to maintain peace and avoid any actions that could lead to unrest.
BREAKING: Court restricts protesters in Abuja to National Stadium
A High Court of the Federal Capital Territory has restricted participants in the August 1 hunger protest against the federal government to the MKO Abiola stadium, also known as the National Stadium.
Justice Sylvanus Oriji issued the order on Wednesday in Abuja while delivering a ruling in an ex-parte application brought before him by the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory.
In the ex parte application argued by Chief Ogwu James Onoja, the FCT Minister had applied for an order of interim injunction restraining the five leaders of the protesting groups from gathering or parading themselves along any roadway, streets, offices and public premises within the FCT between August 1 and 10, or any other day thereafter, pending the hearing and determination of the motion on notice.
He also applied for another order of interim injunction mandating the security agencies to prevent the protesting leaders from gathering or parading themselves along any roadway, office or public premises within the FCT between August 1 and 10, pending the hearing of his motion on notice.
The minister, who said that the federal government was not averse to the protest, claimed that intelligence and security reports reaching him indicated that some elements within the leadership of the protesters intend to capitalise on the planned protest to cause havoc and irreparable damage to public facilities and block roadways to prevent movement of persons and vehicles and disturb public peace.
He claimed that when he contacted the security agencies to ensure that the planned protest did not degenerate into criminality and disturbance of public peace and order, he was told that they are not well equipped to manage any crisis that may arise from the planned protest at short notice; hence, they advised him that prevention is better than cure.
The minister tendered an exhibit from the “Take it Back Movement, FCT”, signed by one Damilare Adenola, in which they threatened to invade the Presidential Villa and also threatened to pull down the outer wires facing the Aso Rock villa during the protest
Besides, they demanded that the FCT provide them with light as well as toilets during the duration of the protest.
In his ruling, Justice Oriji, who recognised the rights of the protesters to embark on the protest, restricted them to the stadium because of the genuine fears expressed by the minister.
“In the light of the above, the court considers it appropriate and expedient to grant an order under the omnibus or general prayer to ensure that the rights of the protesters are guaranteed and that the protest does not negatively or adversely affect the rights of other citizens to move about and to ensure that properties and other public facilities are not destroyed,” the judge held.
He therefore ordered the 1st to 5th respondents to “use the Moshood Abiola Stadium” only for the protest.
Meanwhile, the court ordered the service of processes in the suit as well as the confinement order on the respondents by placing the same in the newspapers.
Defendants in the suit are Omoyele Sowore, Damilare Adenola, Adama Ukpabi, Tosin Harsogba, persons unknown, Inspector General IG of Police, Commissioner of Police, Director General of the State Security Service, Director General, Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, Chief of Army Staff, Chief of Air Staff, and Chief of Naval Staff as 1st to 12th respondents.
BREAKING: Court restricts protesters in Abuja to National Stadium
Naira recovers, trades N1,608/$1 at official window
The naira recovered slightly against the American dollar on Wednesday.
Data from the Nigerian Autonomous Foreign Exchange Market (NAFEM) showed that the domestic currency gained N13 to close the month at N1,608/$1, down from N1,621/$1 recorded on Tuesday.
The intra-day high and low recorded during the day were N1,645/$1 and N1,399/$1 respectively, representing a wide spread of N246$1.
READ ALSO: Naira sheds N2 to begin week at N1,611/$1 at official window
The naira lost N15 against the dollar at the parallel section of the foreign exchange market to trade N1, 610/$1 as against the N1, 595/$1 it recorded the previous day.
The naira also shed N5 against the British Pound to trade N2,085£1 as against the previous trading day’s N2,080£1.
The Canadian dollar continues to close flat against the naira to trade at N1,200| CA$1.
The naira lost N10 against the Euro to trade ₦1,750/€1 as against the previous ₦1,740/€1.
By: Babajide Okeowo
The post Naira recovers, trades N1,608/$1 at official window appeared first on Latest Nigeria News | Top Stories from TVN.
