Home Blog Page 656

PICTORIAL: Cross River residents shun #EndBadGovernanceInNigeria protest

0

Despite the ongoing protests across the nation , Cross River State remains unaffected, with residents going about their daily lives as usual. A video captured by our reporter  Emem Julius on Thursday reveals a sense of normalcy, with people engaged in their regular activities, seemingly undeterred by the demonstrations. Security guards are also in strategic

Read More

EFCC recovers over N231bn during Tinubu’s first year in office, sets up Iimmigration fraud unit

0

In its first year under President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) claimed that it recovered more than N231.623 billion.
The commission’s recoveries also included substantial foreign assets: US$70,260,544.18; £29,264.50 (GBP); €208,297.10; CAD$3,950.00; AUD$740.00; ZAR35,000.00; AED42,390.00; SAR247.00; and ¥74,754.00 (Yuan).
Between May 2023 and May 2024, the EFCC said it processed 15,753 petitions and investigated 12,287 cases. Additionally, the commission said it has introduced an Immigration Fraud Section in several commands nationwide.
The EFCC report states: “The anti-graft war under the Tinubu administration between May 2023 and 2024 has assumed a record-breaking dimension with unprecedented petitions of about 15,753.”
The breakdown of the EFCC’s activities includes: Petitions (15,753); Cases Investigated (12,287); Cases Filed in Court (5,376); and Convictions Secured (3,451).
The report further details: “The recoveries within the same period were N231,623,186,004.74; US$70,260,544.18; £29,264.50 (GBP); €208,297.10; CAD$3,950.00; AUD$740.00; ZAR35,000.00; AED42,390.00; SAR247.00; and ¥74,754.00 (Yuan).
EFCC Chairman Mr. Ola Olukoyede noted that the recent reforms under President Tinubu have improved the agency’s effectiveness.
Read also: DSS indicts domestic staff in kidnap, murder of former EKSU Deputy VC, Prof Olaofe
In a related development, the EFCC said it has established an Immigration Fraud Section in key cities including Lagos, Abuja, Port Harcourt, and Kano, in response to growing immigration fraud. This initiative aims to combat visa and immigration scams.
During a visit by a delegation from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP), led by Superintendent Rabhi Abdallah, Olukoyede highlighted the new section’s role. He explained, “Apart from what we have done in the foreign exchange market, two weeks ago we set up an Immigration Fraud Section… We have seen quite a lot of fraud in that area.”
Abdallah, who was in Nigeria to discuss potential collaboration with the EFCC, indicated that the RCMP may join forces with the commission for joint operations and investigations. He noted, “The department that I am in charge of in the RCMP is in partnership with government agencies, which includes funding utilized for various peace operations and specialized investigations worldwide.”

The post EFCC recovers over N231bn during Tinubu’s first year in office, sets up Iimmigration fraud unit appeared first on Latest Nigeria News | Top Stories from TVN.

We can’t take it anymore, Protesters vent frustration

0

Tension is high as protesters have taken to the streets to voice their frustrations with the current economic situation in Nigeria.

A yet-to-be-identified demonstrator, speaking to News Central on Thursday in Lagos, expressed the grievances driving the unrest.

“They borrow and they steal and they hit our money and they put us in poverty, they put us in penury. We cannot take this anymore,” the protester said.

The demonstration had been anticipated with some apprehension due to fears of potential violence. According Online reports that heavy security and show of force have been deployed across the country ahead of the August 1 protest which began today.

When questioned about the police presence and the concerns about possible unrest, the protester offered a pointed perspective on the history of protests in the country.

“Go back to the history of protest in this country. Instances where we had violence were instances where they are been propelled by the government,” the demonstrator said.

He further alleged that the government are the driver of violence.

He said, “The government is the number one criminal. The government are the ones that propel violence.”

The protester referring to the situation of the EndSars movement in 2020 said, “During Endsars protest, the Lagos State government had to organise BRT buses for thugs, BRT buses for thugs. There are evidences.”

Emphasising the peaceful intentions of the demonstrators in the 37-second video released by News Central, the protester said, “We are not law-breaking people.”

All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from According.

Contact: [email protected]

  • Nigerians can now earn up-to 20% returns by investing in treasury bills, fixed income, commodities and real estate. Managing investments is best on this app. start now
    Food prices are going up, but smart Nigerians are making millions from trading foods and commodities on this app. Start here

    PROFITABLE FOREX, BITCOIN, AND BINARY TRADER
    Do you require the services of a tested, trusted, and experienced trader who can help you trade your online Forex, Bitcoin, and Binary accounts for a minimum 10-20% weekly profit? and who can also help you pass your Prop Firm challenge. For details, visit www.standfx.org or contact via WhatsApp: +2348030797998

    UPDATE NEWS: Salaries and compensation for Nigerian workers can now be paid in US Dollars, you acquire premium domains for as low as $1500 and PROFIT $22,000 ( ₦34 million) Click here.

  • Protests commence in Osun amid tight security

    0

    As the 10-day nationwide protest commences today, protesters have started to converge at the Freedom Park in Osogbo, the capital of Osun State.
    There was a visible presence of security personnel from the Nigeria Police and Nigeria Army at strategic locations within the state capital.
    The locations manned by the security agencies include Olaiya Junction, Awosuru Junction, Okefia and Lameco roundabouts, Orita Gbeemu, Gbodofon, Ajegunle and Ayetoro, and Stadium Roundabout.
    At the Freedom Park point of convergence, organisers of the protest were seen educating fellow protesters on the modalities of the protest.
    TVN also learnt from a civil servant who preferred anonymity that the state secretariat was not under lock.
    According to him: “I will be in the office in an hour. We were not directed to stay off work so I will have to be in the office.

    “As I am talking to you, I am in town. I have passed through Olaiya Junction down to Ogo-Oluwa and there is vehicular movement.”
    Also, some markets, like Akindeko, were scantily open for business with few buyers patronising them. Street businesses were also opened.
    The protests did not disrupt vehicular movement, as major roads in the state capital were busy.
    TVN had earlier reported that the Osun State Commissioner of Police Mohammed Umar Abba had stated that security arrangements had been placed to ensure no breakdown of law and order during the protest.
    Umar Abba who revealed that security agencies in the state will embark on a show of force to demonstrate that they were on top of the situation added that the exercise would be held simultaneously in all police area commands within the state.

    His words: “The Operation Show of Force which comprises personnel drawn from all the security agencies in the state is to inform members of the public about the readiness of the security agencies in the state ahead of the protest.
    “The Operation Show of Force is being coordinated by the Deputy Commissioner of Police, Department of Operations, DCP Abayomi Shogunle. The operations cut across all the Area Commands in the state.”
    The Osun police boss also assured the general public that the command would not leave any stone unturned to ensure the proposed protest was peaceful.
    He also warned that individuals who went against the rules of engagement would be decisively dealt with within the ambit of the extant law.

    Protests commence in Osun amid tight security

    Tight security, empty streets mark protest day in Benue

    0

    Security operatives have been stationed in strategic places in Makurdi, the capital city of Benue State as the #EndBadGovernaceInNigeria protest begins nationwide.

    The state governor, Rev Fr Hyacinth Alia, had on Sunday declared that he had the assurances of all groups ranging from youths, market women, traders, organized labour, and other civil society organizations not to participate in the hunger protest.

    Our correspondent who went around the state capital observed large numbers of policemen in strategic places, particularly the Wurukum area notorious for hoodlums.

    Shops and filling stations as well as banks located around the area were yet to open for fear of eventuality.

    Travellers were also scanty at the motor parks while the highway, particularly, the Makurdi – Lafia road was devoid of the usual traffic.

    However, normal business activities were going on in other parts of the state capital. Offices within the capital city were also opened.

    Our correspondent also learnt that the situation is calm in Gboko and Otukpo towns as normal activities were going on without skirmish.

    All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from According.

    Contact: [email protected]

  • Nigerians can now earn up-to 20% returns by investing in treasury bills, fixed income, commodities and real estate. Managing investments is best on this app. start now
    Food prices are going up, but smart Nigerians are making millions from trading foods and commodities on this app. Start here

    PROFITABLE FOREX, BITCOIN, AND BINARY TRADER
    Do you require the services of a tested, trusted, and experienced trader who can help you trade your online Forex, Bitcoin, and Binary accounts for a minimum 10-20% weekly profit? and who can also help you pass your Prop Firm challenge. For details, visit www.standfx.org or contact via WhatsApp: +2348030797998

    UPDATE NEWS: Salaries and compensation for Nigerian workers can now be paid in US Dollars, you acquire premium domains for as low as $1500 and PROFIT $22,000 ( ₦34 million) Click here.

  • ‘We were promised N5,000 to demonstrate against protesters’

    0

    One of the counter-protesters has revealed they were promised N5,000 to demonstrate against the anti-hunger protests.

    The unnamed protester spoke with our correspondent in Abuja on Thursday.

    He said he was given N2,000 and promised the remaining amount after the demonstration.

    He added that he’s hungry but the money given to him would not solve his problem.

    More details later…

    All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from According.

    Contact: [email protected]

  • Nigerians can now earn up-to 20% returns by investing in treasury bills, fixed income, commodities and real estate. Managing investments is best on this app. start now
    Food prices are going up, but smart Nigerians are making millions from trading foods and commodities on this app. Start here

    PROFITABLE FOREX, BITCOIN, AND BINARY TRADER
    Do you require the services of a tested, trusted, and experienced trader who can help you trade your online Forex, Bitcoin, and Binary accounts for a minimum 10-20% weekly profit? and who can also help you pass your Prop Firm challenge. For details, visit www.standfx.org or contact via WhatsApp: +2348030797998

    UPDATE NEWS: Salaries and compensation for Nigerian workers can now be paid in US Dollars, you acquire premium domains for as low as $1500 and PROFIT $22,000 ( ₦34 million) Click here.

  • MKO stadium empty in Ogun as security operatives take over

    0

    In Ogun State, as of 9:45 am on Thursday, no protester has been sighted at the Moshood Abiola International Stadium, Abeokuta, the designated venue for the #EndBadGovernanceInNigeria protesters in the state capital.

    Recall that an Ogun State High Court on Wednesday ordered the sponsors of the #EndBadGovernanceInNigeria protests to limit their activities to four locations in the state.

    The court also restricted the time frame of the protests to between 8 am and 5 pm.

    The four locations are the MKO Stadium, Abeokuta; Ansar-ud-Deen Comprehensive High School, Ota; Remo Divisional High School, Sagamu; and Dipo Dina Stadium, Ijebu-Ode.

    However, a visit to the stadium this morning only revealed a heavy security presence without any protesters in sight

    Aside heavy presence of police and other security officers manning the stadium, there is also a detachment of soldiers in strategic locations across the state capital to forestall the breakdown of law and order.

    Our correspondent also noticed that banks did not open for business in Abeokuta and cars on the road are also very scanty.

     

     

    All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from According.

    Contact: [email protected]

  • Nigerians can now earn up-to 20% returns by investing in treasury bills, fixed income, commodities and real estate. Managing investments is best on this app. start now
    Food prices are going up, but smart Nigerians are making millions from trading foods and commodities on this app. Start here

    PROFITABLE FOREX, BITCOIN, AND BINARY TRADER
    Do you require the services of a tested, trusted, and experienced trader who can help you trade your online Forex, Bitcoin, and Binary accounts for a minimum 10-20% weekly profit? and who can also help you pass your Prop Firm challenge. For details, visit www.standfx.org or contact via WhatsApp: +2348030797998

    UPDATE NEWS: Salaries and compensation for Nigerian workers can now be paid in US Dollars, you acquire premium domains for as low as $1500 and PROFIT $22,000 ( ₦34 million) Click here.

  • NLC threatens showdown with Gombe govt over N70,000 minimum wage

    0

    The Nigeria Labour Congress, NLC, has issued a stern warning following Governor Muhammad Yahaya’s declaration that Gombe State cannot afford the newly mandated N70,000 minimum wage.
    President Bola Tinubu recently signed the new minimum wage bill into law, making the payment compulsory for all states.
    However, during a stakeholders’ meeting on Tuesday at the Gombe State Government House, Governor Yahaya, who also serves as the Chairman of the Northern Governors’ Forum, stated: “I cannot pay the N70,000 minimum wage, and I suspect many other states are in the same predicament.”
    In response to this, NLC Secretary in Gombe State, Ibrahim Fika, expressed the union’s dissatisfaction and hinted at a potential confrontation.
    In an interview on Wednesday, Fika stated: “The governor has said his mind before us. We are anticipating the table of the national headquarters for the adjustment; from there, we will start our own struggle because, as we all know, the new minimum wage is now law after passing through scrutiny in the legislature and getting the presidential assent.
    “We don’t see the reason why a governor will say he can’t afford to pay N70,000. We are expecting governors to pay more than that, not less.
    “We will do our possible best to see that Gombe enjoys the new minimum wage by God’s grace.”
    NLC threatens showdown with Gombe govt over N70,000 minimum wage

    Dortmund splash €10m on Brighton’s creative midfielder Gross

    0

    Borussia Dortmund on Thursday announced the signing of Germany midfielder Pascal Gross from Premier League club Brighton and Hove Albion on a two-year deal.

    German media reported Dortmund paid a fee of up to 10 million euros ($11 million), including bonuses, to sign the 33-year-old.

    A creative midfielder with an eye for goal, Gross joins the Champions League finalists after seven years with Brighton, having joined from German side FC Ingolstadt in 2017.

    Gross, a Dortmund fan from childhood, said in a statement he “can’t wait to play alongside my new teammates”.

    Dortmund director Lars Ricken described Gross as a “top performer” who would add “solidity and flexibility” to the team.

    In 228 Premier League appearances, Gross scored 30 goals and laid on 45 assists and helped Brighton qualify for European competition for the first time in their 122-year history after finishing sixth in the 2022-23 season.

    Gross was named Brighton’s player of the season twice: in his first season at the club in 2017-18 and last year in his final campaign.

    The midfielder received his first Germany call-up at the age of 32 and was part of manager Julian Nagelsmann’s 26-man squad at Euro 2024.

    He has eight caps with one goal at international level.

    Dortmund signed Gross after a poor domestic season in 2023-24.

    Despite reaching the Champions League final, where they lost to Real Madrid at Wembley, Dortmund had a disappointing domestic campaign, finishing fifth in the league and eliminated at the last 16 of the German Cup.

    This summer Dortmund have already signed striker Serhou Guirassy and defender Waldemar Anton, both from last season’s surprise Bundesliga runners-up Stuttgart.

    AFP

    All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from According.

    Contact: [email protected]

    Protest: Kaduna streets empty as commuters remain indoors

    0

    Several shops and businesses in the Kaduna metropolis and its environs remained closed following the commencement of nationwide protests across Nigeria.
    Although, popular roads in the Kaduna metropolis were deserted as commuters remained indoors for fear of the unknown, retail shops within localities are operating skeletal services as some residents who wanted to observe the protest as it unfolded, converged around beancake sellers and tea shops.
    The popular Ahmadu Bello Way, located in the Central Business District of the Kaduna State capital, is empty, without the usual vehicular and human traffic, unlike the normal day when the road is busy with activities.
    Public transportation systems are operating at reduced capacity because most commuters are staying indoors.
    Shops and businesses around Junction Road, Ahmadu Bello Way, Kakuri Busstop, Sabon Tasha, Kawo, and Mando have closed their doors to avoid falling victim to protest fallout, such as potential damage or looting.
    Traders and vendors, in the meantime, remain indoors, studying the situation.
    Meanwhile, security personnel are visibly deployed to strategic locations and identified flashpoints to maintain order and protect the citizens and even the protesters in the event they come out.
    Protest: Kaduna streets empty as commuters remain indoors