Home Blog Page 650

Tension as hoodlums hijack protest in Abuja

0

The ongoing protests by Nigerian youths against hunger and hardship in the country have been hijacked by hoodlums in the Federal Capital Territory, FCT, Abuja TVN reports.
When our correspondent visited the protest grounds at the Central Business Area of the territory, about four persons were rushed away after the police fired tear gas on them.
The unarmed protesters alleged that the police and other security officers resorted to the use of force while restricting them from gaining access to Eagles Square.
One of the protesters told TVN that he fainted twice when the tear gas was fired.
Reacting, the Police Public Relations Officer, FCT, SP Josephine Adeh, said that the protesters have proven to be stubborn.
When contacted, the PPRO told TVN that the “protest has been taken over by hoodlums.
“The protesters have been throwing stones at police officers. Hoodlums have hijacked the protest and this is the concern we had raised earlier”.
The protesters, however, vowed to continue the protest until the federal government addresses their demands.
Tension as hoodlums hijack protest in Abuja

Iheanacho joins Ejuke at Sevilla on free transfer

0

Super Eagles forward Kelechi Iheanacho has signed with Spanish club Sevilla.
The club announced Iheanacho’s arrival on their official website late Wednesday.
Iheanacho signed a two-year contract with the option for an additional year with the former UEFA Europa League champions.
The Nigeria international is Sevilla’s fifth signing of the summer.
Read Also: Ndidi, Iheanacho return to Premier League with Leicester
The 27-year-old joined Sevilla on a free transfer after leaving Premier League club Leicester City last month when his contract ran out.
Iheanacho scored 61 goals and provided 34 assists in 232 matches for Leicester City.
The former Manchester City player now joins his compatriot Chidera Ejuke at Sevilla.
The post Iheanacho joins Ejuke at Sevilla on free transfer appeared first on Latest Nigeria News | Top Stories from TVN.

August 1: Youths in Yobe troop out to protest bad governance, economic hardship

0

Dozens of youths in Damaturu, Yobe State have joined their counterparts across the country to ventilate their frustration over the current economic hardship being experienced in the country.
The protesting youths holding several placards with inscriptions called on the government to reverse its ‘anti-masses’ policies immediately.
Led by the State Coordinator, Initiative for Better and Brighter Nigeria, Sarah Jandi, the youths presented their demands to the representative of the state government.
Some of their demands include the immediate: restoration of the fuel subsidy regime, and tackling food insecurity, social insecurity and unemployment among youths among others.
“We want Mr President to show sensitivity to the plight of ordinary Nigerians by leading in making sacrifices through cutting down on excessive government spending as well as cutting the cost of governance in Nigeria”, she demanded.
The protest in Yobe State has been adjudged to be generally peaceful, as of the time of filing in this report.

August 1: Youths in Yobe troop out to protest bad governance, economic hardship

Akpabio didn’t say he would eat while others protest -Aide

0

Kenny Okolugbo, Consultant Communications and Strategy to the Senate President, Godswill Akpabio, has debunked claims that the Senate President said he would be “eating while protesters are protesting.”

Okolugbo, in a statement seen by our correspondent on Thursday, emphasised that Akpabio never made such remarks.

“He (Akpabio) was merely quoting the Managing Director of the Niger Delta Development Commission who remarked that the Niger Delta Youths have greatly benefited under his and the Amnesty boss’ leadership,” Okolugbo explained.

He further clarified that the Senate President, during his visit to the NDDC-sponsored youths stakeholders summit in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, on Tuesday, highlighted that the Niger Delta region, despite ongoing challenges, has not resorted to protests.

He noted that Akpabio, being the highest-ranking government official from the region, empathised with the people’s hardships, acknowledging the prevailing hunger and economic difficulties.

He said his principal praised the government’s efforts to mitigate the issues, citing the implementation of a new minimum wage and the establishment of the Northwest and Southeast Development Commissions.

The statement added that Akpabio announced an empowerment initiative aimed at providing 10,000 youths with a monthly stipend of N50,000, designed to alleviate economic hardship.

Okolugbo added that he likened this effort to the enduring pains before the birth of a child, urging patience and understanding from the Niger Delta populace towards President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s administration.

The Senate President had reportedly mocked organisers #EndBadGovernanceInNigeria protest to go ahead with the demonstration while they watch on eating.

The Senate President, who seems displeased with the planned protest, said the Niger-Delta people were not ready for a regime change while referencing the statement of the MD of the commission.

“All of us feel the impact of what is happening now. But we are aware it will be for a short while. MD, I want to thank you for what you said. You said we are not interested in regime change; let us own this government,” Akpabio said.

 

Police teargas #EndBadGovernance protesters at Lekki toll-gate

0

Police operatives have teargassed protesters at the Lekki toll-gate area of Lagos State, causing #EndBadGovernance protesters to scamper for safety.
Battle-ready security operatives comprising men of the Nigeria Police Force (NPF), Nigerian Army, and others, had earlier stationed at strategic positions around the toll-gate, in readiness for the protesters.
Addressing the protesters, a security operative directed them to join other protesters at the designated locations for the protest.
READ ALSO: Just In: Police teargas protesters at Eagles Square
Recall that a Lagos State High Court had, on Tuesday, restricted protesters participating in the nationwide protest to specific locations within the state.
Justice Emmanuel Ogundare, while ruling on an ex parte application by the Lagos State Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, Lawal Pedro, (SAN), ordered that protests could only take place at the Gani Fawehinmi Freedom Park in Ojota and Peace Park in Ketu.
It was believed that it was due to the protesters’ defiance of the court order that made the police fire the teargas in order to disperse them.
 
The post Police teargas #EndBadGovernance protesters at Lekki toll-gate appeared first on Latest Nigeria News | Top Stories from TVN.

Many injured as protests turn violent in Kano, Jigawa

0

Peaceful protests in Kano and Jigawa, on Thursday turned into chaos after security agencies tried using bullets and teargas to disperse the crowd. Jigawa State.
The nationwide protest was organized to demand government reforms over the recent hardship in the country and has seen a significant turnout of aggrieved Nigerians.
For fear of attacks, commuters remained indoors while shops and businesses were on lockdown.
However, the protesters who were in the streets chanted solidarity songs demanding an end to bad governance. Their placards read; n “bring back subsidy.”
In Jigawa State the protest began from Eid ground following by pass, going through Government House road.
The protesters, however, burnt tyres along the government house road causing the police to fire tear gas to disperse them.
While in Kano TVN observed that the protesters got wider acceptability across the metropolis and local government areas.
Two persons were, however, reported dead in Kano and many others were injured when the operatives fired live rounds into the crowd and tear-gassed the protesters.
Checks by our correspondent at Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital show that many protesters were rushed to the hospital for medical attention.
The protesters suffered injuries and bullet wounds. Doctors are now busy trying to save the lives of the casualties.
Many injured as protests turn violent in Kano, Jigawa

Egypt’s Assar sets new African record in Paris

0

Egypt’s Omar Assar has etched his name in the annals of African sports history as he becomes the first player from the continent to reach consecutive quarterfinals at the Olympic Games.
The 2023 African Games champion pulled off a remarkable comeback victory over Kazakhstan’s Kirill Gerassimenko at the Paris 2024 Olympic Games is a testament to his tenacity and determination.
After a challenging start that saw him trailing 2-0, Assar staged an impressive recovery, clinching the next four games with scores of 12-10, 12-10, 11-9, and 11-3, culminating in a 4-2 triumph.
This victory not only showcases Assar’s prowess but also keeps alive the hope of surpassing his quarterfinal record set at the Tokyo 2020 Olympics.
Read Also: Table tennis federation confirms Aruna, others for Paris Olympic Games
Assar’s journey to the quarterfinals was marked by a series of convincing wins, including an 11-5, 13-11, 11-3, 11-2 victory over Ecuador’s Mino Alberto and a 4-1 win against Madagascar’s Fabio Rakotoarimanana.
The Paris Olympics have been a stage for stunning performances, with Swedish sensation Truls Moregard securing his place in the quarterfinals and 2023 WTT Contender Lagos champion South Korea’s Shin Yubin as well as 2024 WTT Contender Lagos champion India’s Sreeja Akula making significant strides in the Women’s Singles.
Assar will face a familiar foe in the Swedish star when both players clash in the quarterfinal of the Men’s Singles as the African star is inching close to another milestone in Paris.
The post Egypt’s Assar sets new African record in Paris appeared first on Latest Nigeria News | Top Stories from TVN.

Hardship: IPOB alleges plot to attack Igbos during nationwide protest

0

The Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, on Thursday, alleged a plot to attack and eliminate Igbos in the North and Western parts of the country during the 10-day protest.
IPOB urged Igbos to be on guard and protect their lives and properties as the nationwide protest against hunger commences.
Emma Powerful, the spokesman of IPOB, alleged that criminals would be hired to attack Igbos as the protest continues.
In a statement he signed, Powerful said: “Following the wind of hardship and hunger protest and bad governance blowing across the contraption called Nigeria, the global family and movement of the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, led by the great leader, Mazi Nnamdi Okwuchukwu Kanu wish to advise Ndigbo to be on guard and protective of their lives and properties during the protests. Our ancestors said that whoever is surrounded by enemies always watches over his life.
“The clandestine State sponsored operation of targeting Ndigbo in the North and West will be carried out with claims of going after protest sponsors.
“There are also plans to sponsor criminal elements from the Northern extraction in the East to carry out violent protests to provide opportunities for the Nigerian murderous security to launch attaan ck against Ndigbo during this period.
Therefore, Ndigbo should be careful and know that they are hated and targeted across the contraption called Nigeria.”
Powerful said the false accusation against the Labour Party 2023 presidential candidate, Peter Obi was part of the agenda to eliminate the Igbos.
He added: “Furthermore, the false accusations against IPOB and Mr Peter Obi by the federal government as the sponsors of the proposed protest by the Nigerian Government Agents are part of the sinister plan and agenda to target Ndigbo for elimination.
“The false alarm that IPOB and Ndigbo are sponsoring the protest is another false flag operation targeted at killing Ndigbo during the protest.
“Neither Ndigbo nor IPOB called for the Nigerians to protest against the leadership’s disastrous performance in Nigeria. Interestingly, both the IPOB, Ohanaeze Ndigbo, and many other Igbo groups have warned Ndigbo not to join the proposed peaceful national protest against hardship and hunger in wider Nigeria.
“We have maintained that Nigerians must carry their cross and enjoy their Emi Lokan. Ndigbo does not know what Emir Lokan means. Sadly, the Nigerian government and her proxies are falsely accusing Ndigbo and IPOB as the sponsors of the protest against Tinubu’s government. WE HAVE NO HAND IN IT.”
Hardship: IPOB alleges plot to attack Igbos during nationwide protest

Kano: It’s unfortunate – Shehu Sani reacts to loot govt properties by protesters

0

Former lawmaker, Senator Shehu Sani has described the looting of government properties in Kano State by protesters as ‘unfortunate’.
TVN reports that a group of protesters participating in the ongoing nationwide protest have destroyed and looted a building in Kano state.
Reacting to the development, Sani, in a tweet on X called for lives and properties to be protected.
He tweeted: “The images and clips of the looting in Kano are unfortunate and condemnable.
“All efforts must be put in place to secure people’s lives and properties.”
TVN reports that the nationwide hunger protests tagged #EndBadGovernance started today August 1.
The protest is expected to last for days having been slated for the 1st to the 10th of August.
Kano: It’s unfortunate – Shehu Sani reacts to loot govt properties by protesters

PROTEST: PFN scribe cautions FG not to take Nigerians for granted

0

The national publicity secretary of Pentecostal Fellowship of Nigeria, PFN, Archbishop-elect Emmah Gospel Isong has called on the federal government of Nigeria not to take Nigerians for granted.
He said Nigerians are considerate and passionate about their country, which is the reason the planned protest against alleged bad governance has become softened.
Reacting about the first day of the 10 days planned protest, Dr Isong who is the founder of Christian Central Chapel International said although critical stakeholders like community, religious and other concerned leaders have appealed to organizers of the protest to see reasons to rescind their decision yet it was very important too for the state and federal governments to play their own parts by looking towards the wellbeing of the citizens.
He said having seemingly achieved victory like this which may not always come cheap as it is therefore the government must wake up, listen to the cries and yearnings of their people and assuage them.
He noted that Nigerian youths are not praising the government but are not violent either yet the government should in turn create more employment, increase productivity, ease business environments and reach out more to community leaders.
“There’s an adage that says when you talk to the kites you also talk to the chicks. Having cautioned the youths and organizers of the protest, we also caution the federal government to be people-friendly.
“Nigerian leaders should wake up and work towards alleviating the sufferings of the masses, raise the standards of living, and reduce the price of petrol which has contributed mostly to hyperinflation in the country.
“We want all levels of governments to be accountable to the people of Nigeria”, he said.
He disclosed that Cross River was the most affected during the last endSARS protest and the people and government have not completely recovered from it.
He stated that CAN and PFN are neck-deep in praying for peace, and unity and for governments to be well guided by the divine spirit.
PROTEST: PFN scribe cautions FG not to take Nigerians for granted