Home Blog Page 623

Low patronage crashes perishable food prices in Lagos

0

Prices of some perishable food have crashed by about 50 per cent amid the ongoing nationwide hunger protest, the News Agency of Nigeria reports.

The protest with hashtag #EndBadGovernanceinNigeria is planned to end on 10 August.

It is aimed at calling the Federal Government’s attention to the economic hardship facing Nigerians.

Some traders and buyers at the Ile-Epo food market in Alimosho/Agege area of Lagos state, confirmed the development in separate interviews with NAN on Friday in Lagos.

NAN reports that local food markets across the area witnessed fewer activities than usual due to the ongoing nationwide hunger protests.

A tomato trader at Ile-Epo market, Agege area, Mr Rabiu Aliu, said the price of some perishable food items ranging from tomatoes, chilli pepper and others dropped to minimise loss due to low patronage caused by the protest.

“A 50kg basket of tomatoes now sells for between N40,000 and N50,000 as against N80,000 to N100,000 two weeks ago.

“A 25kg basket sells between N18,000 and N19,000 as against N30,000 to N40,000 two weeks ago.

“We have no choice but to sell off because few customers are available to buy the produce. The purchasing power is actually low at the moment,” Aliu said.

Also speaking, another trader, Mrs Mukit Afolabi, said that the price of perishable items had dropped in the market as a result of the hunger protest.

“On Day 1 of the protest, tomatoes were even cheaper because there was no one to buy.

“I bought 5kg basket of tomatoes at N4,000. As of two weeks ago, it sold for N12,000. So, I think the protest is contributory to the drop in price.

“However, rodo (scotch bonnet pepper) is still expensive. On Monday, a bag was sold for N40,000 but today, a bag sells at N84,000 because it is currently unavailable in the market.

“No produce truck has delivered any pepper since Wednesday, the day before the protest began,” Afolabi said.

A foodstuff trader, Mr Ibrahim Ahmed, also affirmed a drop in the price of rice and beans.

“A 50kg bag of short grain rice now sells for N73,000 as against N83,000 last month. While the long grain sells for N78,000 per 50 kg bag as against N87,000 to N88,000.

“A paint bucket of honey beans now sells for N10,000 as against N12,000 it was sold in July. Other varieties now sell for between N8,000 and N9,000,” he said.

NAN reports that other items such as groundnut oil and palm oil recorded tremendous increase in price.

Mrs Hope Osagie, a trader of the produce at the Agege Market, said that the price of the produce had increased in the last couple of days.

“A 25 litre of groundnut oil now sells at N60,000 as against N38,000 that was sold a month ago.

“While a 25 litre of palm oil now sells for N36,000 as against N27,000 in July.

“We really do not know the reason for the hike but generally food stuff prices have been rather unpredictable,” Osagie said.

However, a buyer, Mrs Anuoluwa Olayinka, expressed excitement over the drop in the price of tomatoes and other perishable items.

“I bought as much as I could afford as I saw the price had dropped.

“Well, there are just few people in the market, which is quite unusual for a Friday. So, I guess traders just want to sell off to minimise loss,” Olayinka said.

Another buyer, Mrs Ada Uzor, said that “foodstuff prices are unpredictable but I think the protest contributed to the slight price drop of  some items.”

NAN.

Fulham sign Emile Smith Rowe from Arsenal 

0

Fulham FC has confirmed the signing of Emile Smith Rowe from Arsenal for an undisclosed fee.

The England international has penned a five-year contract, keeping him at Craven Cottage until the summer of 2029, with a Club option to extend by a further 12 months.

Emile Smith Rowe
Emile Smith Rowe

A versatile attacking player, he primarily operated off the left wing or as a number 10 for the Gunners but is also comfortable on the right, or in a slightly deeper midfield role.

Details later

Tosin Oyediran

Tosin, with over six years’ experience, conducts incisive interviews, pens engaging features, subedits and delivers impactful stories for the digital sphere.

All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from According.

Contact: [email protected]

Police urge medical workers to report FCT gunshot patients

0

The Federal Capital Territory Police Command has called on medical personnel to report anyone with gunshot wounds to the police.

The command said it engaged some hoodlums in a fierce gun duel with many of them escaping with gunshot injuries, adding that the hoodlums had taken advantage of the hunger protest to embark on massive extortion and assault on innocent citizens along the Lugbe end of the FCT.

The command, in a statement on Friday by its spokesperson, Josephine Adeh, said the residents alerted the police about the incident.

Adeh said, ”Following distress calls on the activities of some hoodlums who took advantage of the ongoing protests which began on Thursday, August 1, 2024, to block the Lugbe end of the Shehu Musa Yaradua Expressway at about 10 pm, embarked on a massive robbery and assault of innocent citizens which led to an exchange of fire with police operatives in the Lugbe area of Abuja.

“The FCT Command, hereby, puts all medical personnel in and around the Federal Capital Territory on high alert to the possibility of receiving victims with gunshot wounds.”

Adeh said the command was requesting in line with the Compulsory Treatment and Care for Victims of Gunshot Act 2017.

The spokesperson said, “In line with the Compulsory Treatment and Care for Victims of Gunshot Act 2017, it is instructive to note that such patients come under medical emergencies that require urgent attention to save the life of the patient and should be accorded all necessary medical assistance.

“However, the police division/formation within the jurisdiction of such a hospital or healthcare facility should be informed to interview such patients to ascertain their person/roles in the prevailing security situation in the FCT.”

Adeh said the FCT Commissioner of Police, Bennett Igweh, warned against committing crimes under the guise of protest.

She said, “The Commissioner of Police hereby warns unscrupulous elements who may want to hide under the guise of protest to carry out heinous crimes such as armed robbery, shop breaking, rape, assault on innocent citizens and vandalisation of public property to desist from such as police officers and other security agents have been put on red alert to curtail them and maintain law and order.”

The police boss while “appreciating residents of the FCT for their continuous cooperation, assures that all relevant measures will be emplaced to ensure that the current protests do not infringe on their fundamental rights or cause them losses or damage to their property.”

Those encouraging protests in Northern Nigeria should reconsider – Shehu Sani

0

Former Nigerian senator, Shehu Sani, has urged those encouraging protests in Northern Nigeria to reconsider, following scores of deaths recorded on the first day of the nationwide hunger protest.
Sani made this appeal in a statement posted on his X account on Friday.
He spoke as protesters continued the hunger protests on Friday in the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, Lagos, Katsina and other states despite at least ten deaths recorded on Thursday.
Reacting to the continuation of the protest amid bloodshed and destruction of properties, Sani appealed that rioting in the North should be discouraged.
“With scores dead, hundreds injured and properties worth billions of Naira belonging to private businesses and government destroyed by hoodlums, mostly in Northern states, those wishing to encourage the continuation of this protest, especially in the North should reconsider.
“At our end it’s violent protest without visible leadership and must be discontinued,” he said.
Those encouraging protests in Northern Nigeria should reconsider – Shehu Sani

Mr. Macaroni criticises govt’s response to ongoing #endbadgovernance protests 

0

Prominent Nigerian actor, content creator, and citizen activist Adebowale ‘Debo’ Adedayo popularly known as Mr. Macaroni‘ has taken to social media to criticise the government’s response to ongoing #endbadgovernance protests.

Mr Macaroni in a post shared on his X page (formerly Twitter) while responding to Benjamin Hundeyin’s post stated that the protests in Lagos State have been peaceful thus far.

Mr Macaroni wrote; “This is proof that the protests are always peaceful and with good intentions until state-sponsored thugs are sent to disrupt the protests. The police, in their complicity, will ignore the infiltrators and start to attack peaceful protesters. This is how it happens not only in Lagos but in other states in the country.”

He did, however, use the medium to call out members of the Nigeria Police Force, accusing them of targeting peaceful protesters rather than sponsored thugs.

“At the end of the day, the government will then attempt to rewrite history as if it didn’t happen before our very eyes. This is exactly how it happened with EndSars and the records will forever be there to point at the real enemies of Nigeria who unleashed terror and mayhem in our society,” he added.

Join the conversation

Support TVN, hold up solutions journalism

Police fire teargas at protesters, journalist in A’Ibom

0

Operatives of the Akwa Ibom State Police Command on Friday fired tear gas canisters at a group of protesters who had gathered at the Ibom Plaza to continue the nationwide hunger protest for the second day.

A journalist with the New Nigerian Newspapers in Akwa Ibom State was also teargassed while interviewing the protesters.

Over 15 protesters displayed placards with various inscriptions such as “End Bad Governance in Nigeria,” “End Hunger in Nigeria,” and “Reduce Fuel Price to N100,” among others.

Our correspondent reports that the protesters were singing and chanting solidarity songs when the police opened the canisters on them and marched them to Unity Park, along Udoudoma Avenue, where they had been restricted.

One of the protesters who spoke with journalists on condition of anonymity at the plaza, before the police intervened, said they were protesting because life in Nigeria was becoming increasingly unbearable for the average person.

“We are here to protest against the high cost of fuel. In this country, we can do better as a people. We cannot produce crude oil in Nigeria and buy fuel for N900 per litre. This is unacceptable.

“An average person can no longer feed their family because of the current state of affairs. The Federal Government claims to have increased the minimum wage, but it is worthless as it cannot even buy a bag of rice. If you earn N70,000, you need to borrow N20,000 to buy a bag of rice.
We want the price of a bag of rice to be reduced to N10,000 and the price of fuel to drop to N100,” he said.

The protesters were dispersed by security personnel on the first day of the protest following restrictions and heavy rainfall early on Thursday morning, which lasted for several hours.

All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from According.

Contact: [email protected]

SPYRO TO CLERGY: Use your platforms to support ongoing protests

0

Nigerian musician Oludipe Oluwasanmi David popularly known in music circles as Spyro has taken to social media to urge Nigerians to use their platforms to support the ongoing protests.
The ‘Who Is Your Guy’ crooner who made the call in a post shared on his Instagram page said that he wishes men of God could speak up for the people as they did in the past.
The musician also emphasised in his post on social media the need for tangible action over prayers and also added that even the bible said ‘‘faith without works is dead’’.
READ ALSO: Singer Spyro sends love message to American actress Meagan Good
He wrote; “I wish men of God could speak up for the people now as it was in the days of old… This is not a time to PRAY, it is a time to ACT, even the Bible says FAITH without WORKS is dead. In the Bible days, men of God were strong tools that God used to challenge the government and liberate the people. MOSES, your people need you now.”
Spyro, who rose to prominence after the release of his hit ‘Billing’, stated that he would not be posting anything entertainment-related in solidarity with the demonstrations.
“I personally think it is quite insensitive to post anything entertainment. The Country is bleeding and we are all affected whether or not we agree to that fact. I am very much affected,” he noted.
The post SPYRO TO CLERGY: Use your platforms to support ongoing protests appeared first on Latest Nigeria News | Top Stories from TVN.

EndBadGovernment Protests: 326 suspects arrested in Kano were not of 2011- Police clarify

0

The Nigeria Police Kano Command has clarified that the 326 suspects were arrested in the acts of Thursday, #End Bad Government Protests, in and around the city and not 2011 suspects as is being speculated.
The command Police Public Relations Officer, CSP, Abdullahi Haruna Kiyawa made this known during a press briefing and parading of the suspects which includes old women, underage persons and others, on Friday, at the Police Headquarters, Kano.
Kiyawa noted that “the Command clarifies the recent deliberate false and mischievous news circulating on social media platforms concerning the photos of suspects and exhibits involved in the destruction and looting of public and private properties under the guise of the planned #End Bad Governance Nationwide Protest.”
He explained that, “against the misleading unverified social media reports that some of the images were posted sometime in 2011, and are been reposted now, are false and baseless”, insisting that, “these despicable acts are calculated attempts by enemies of peace to tarnished the reputable image of the Nigeria Police.”
He said, “These images showing suspects and exhibits are linked to the current incidents resulting from the ongoing August 2024 Nationwide Protest and have no relation with any incident in the year 2011.
“Interestingly, the same suspects in the alleged looting and vandalizing who were arrested and paraded by the Police Command on 01/08/2024 are here before the press today, 02/08/2024 for clarity
“On this note, the Commissioner of Police, Kano State Police Command, CP Salman Dogo Garba directed the Anti-Cyber Crime Unit of the Command to launch an investigation to arrest and prosecute the perpetrators of this ungodly act capable of instigating the public against the Police.
EndBadGovernment Protests: 326 suspects arrested in Kano were not of 2011- Police clarify

Community decries land grabbing in Delta

0

Following the activities of land grabbers, the agrarian Ajaji-Illah community in Oshimili North Local Government Area of Delta State has cried out over the non-availability of land for farming.

The community which is currently in the state High Court, Akwukwu-Igbo with Delta State Government and Northsworthy Limited over the alleged forcefully take over of land belonging to the community, accused the state government of allegedly leasing out 533.97 hectares of their farmland to a private firm few years ago leading to litigations.

The spokesman of the community, Mr Sunday Chukwurah, narrating their ordeal on Thursday in Asaba, the state capital, said that while they are still battling with the state government and Noteworthy Limited over illegal acquisition, some land grabbers are on the prowl to sell the remaining land left for the community.

Chukwurah said, “We the Ajaji-Illah community are crying out over the invasion of our community land by land grabbers. The community which is about 30 minutes drive away from the state capital, Asaba, is worried that despite the vast land already occupied by Federal and State agencies.

“Some individuals suspected to be government officials and politicians were out to take over what is left of our land. We the farmers are now finding it difficult to farm due to lack of land.

“Ajaji-Illah Community was a food basket of the state, in terms of yam, cassava, vegetables, and even rice farming, but now there is no land to farm which is also contributing to the shortage of food in the state.

“The people of Ajaji-Illah have identified persons in their midst, including an octogenarian, who failed in his bid to covet part of our land. About two weeks ago, this same land grabbers accompanied by some armed policemen were seen pegging a vast portion of our land area at the Ngegwu farm settlement,” he said.

According to him, the community youths raised alarms after spotting the land grabbers only for the land grabbers to write a petition to the police authority in Abuja to accuse prominent men of criminal activities.

“We have also erected bold signposts on both Illah-Asaba road up to the Ngegwu farm axis on the same matter,” he added.

The community called on the general public not to engage in any land sale transactions with anyone including her indigenes, decrying the lost of space for farming.

Police nab 320 over Kano protest chaos

0

The Police Command in Kano State has announced the detention of 320 suspects allegedly involved in vandalising public buildings during the nationwide protests in the state.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the command’s Public Relations Officer, SP Abdullahi Kiyawa, disclosed this during a parade of the suspects at the police headquarters on Friday.

Kiyawa stated that the suspects were apprehended at the premises of High Courts and other public buildings, with various items found in their possession.

He explained that the police, in collaboration with other security agencies, had established a comprehensive security network to ensure that the residents could go about their legitimate activities without any let or hindrance.

The police appealed to the residents to support their efforts by providing intelligence information that could aid in apprehending criminals in the state, thereby contributing to a safer and more secure environment.

The Commissioner of Police, Salma Dogo, has praised the state government’s decision to impose a 24-hour curfew in the state.

He also urged the parents to ensure that all the stolen properties from vandalised buildings were returned to the nearest police station.

Dogo warned that the police would not tolerate any acts of vandalism or disruptions to the peaceful atmosphere.

He emphasised that anyone found engaging in such criminal behaviour would face dire consequences, as the police remained committed to maintaining law and order in the state.

NAN.

All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from According.

Contact: [email protected]