Home Blog Page 538

JUST IN: CBN auctions $876m to 26 banks, disqualifies six

0

The Central Bank of Nigeria has auctioned a total sum of $876.26m to 26 qualified banks, who participated in the latest Retail Dutch Auction System undertaken by the apex bank. The auction process conducted on Tuesday, August 6, 2024, aimed to enhance FX liquidity in the market, alleviate demand pressure, and support price discovery in

Read More

Police arrest three protesters for stealing in Rivers

0

The Rivers State Police Command has announced the arrest of three individuals for stealing point-of-sale machines and vehicle wipers under the guise of protesting against hunger and bad governance.

State Commissioner for Police, Olatunji Disu, revealed this while addressing journalists in Port Harcourt on Wednesday.

Disu, who conducted an on-the-spot assessment of the protest in various parts of the state, expressed dismay that the demonstration had been overtaken by miscreants.

He further stated that the organisers of the original protest had lost control, and the police could not stand idly by while hoodlums ran rampant.

Disu said, “I assure you, I will investigate what has occurred. However, I am aware that hoodlums have hijacked this protest.

“They have many individuals with them harassing members of the public. About an hour ago, we arrested three people who were stealing POS machines among the protesters.

“We also have thugs stealing wipers from vehicles and attempting to set tyres alight. The police have been responding promptly to extinguish these fires.

“These individuals are not genuine protesters; they are thugs who might have joined the protest or infiltrated it. I promise to investigate further and provide feedback on what I find.”

He noted that the protest had deviated from its original intent, with splinter groups moving around the city with ulterior motives.

“The situation has changed. The protest has evolved from its original purpose. Groups are now moving around the town, blocking roads, coercing people to join them, and even threatening to shut down businesses.

“This has moved beyond a peaceful protest. I am very surprised by the escalation. You may have noticed the presence of many female police officers.

“A lot of my Divisional Police Officers are women, and they have been using their empathetic approach in their duties. They have built positive relationships with the protesters, offering water and biscuits. However, the protest has grown too large for the organisers to manage.

“Yesterday, there was a confrontation among the protesters, which led to them splitting into three groups. They have since roamed the town, harassing traders and threatening those who do not comply with their demands.”

Hardship: Ogun First Lady distributes food items to widows, others

0

To cushion the effects of the economic hardship in the country, the wife of Ogun State governor, Bamidele Abiodun has distributed bags of rice to almost 50 residents in the state.
The beneficiaries were women groups, widows, and people living with disabilities, among others.
Speaking at the flag-off of the distribution exercise in Abeokuta, Mrs Abiodun said the distributions would continue throughout the next few weeks.
She disclosed that the First Lady of the Federation, Oluremi Tinubu had donated bags of rice to all 36 states, as part of her generosity and timely response to the present situations experienced by many Nigerians.
‘’It was crucial to support the most vulnerable because they form an important part of society. Empowering women too is a must, due to the critical roles they play at home and in society.
‘’We will identify more groups that require urgent intervention and do our best to provide relief materials for them. This gesture will not only strengthen the economy, but it will promote peace and stability within communities’’, she said.
Responding, representatives of the beneficiaries appreciated the kind gesture of Mrs Tinubu and Mrs Abiodun, thanking them for extending the food item to the less privileged in the state.
Hardship: Ogun First Lady distributes food items to widows, others

Nigerian Army detains suspected killer of 18-year-old in Kaduna

0

The Nigerian Army has detained a soldier suspected to have killed an 18-year-old boy, Ismail Mohammed, in Kaduna State.
The teenager was allegedly shot by a soldier on patrol in Samaru, Zaria in Kaduna State on Tuesday.
The Director of Army Public Relations, Maj.-Gen. Onyema Nwachukwu, disclosed this in a statement on Wednesday in Abuja.
He said the troops received a distress call that some hoodlums gathered in the Samaru area of Zaria in large numbers, burnt tyres on the road, and pelted stones at security personnel.
“The troops immediately mobilised and arrived at the scene to disperse the mob and enforce the curfew imposed by the state government.
“On arrival at the scene, the hoodlums brazenly attempted attacking the troops prompting a soldier to fire a warning shot to scare the hoodlums away, which unfortunately led to the death of Mohammed.
“The soldier involved has since been arrested and undergoing interrogation as at the time of this report,” the spokesman added.
The post Nigerian Army detains suspected killer of 18-year-old in Kaduna appeared first on Latest Nigeria News | Top Stories from TVN.

Northerners support Tinubu, not plotting against him – Aisha Yesufu

0

A socio-political activist and commentator, Aisha Yesufu, on Wednesday downplayed claims that the North was plotting against President Bola Tinubu.
Yesufu said the Northerners carried Tinubu on their head with the Muslim-Muslim ticket during the 2023 election.
To this end, Yesufu wondered why the North would turn around to plot against Tinubu for being a Southern president.
Posting on X, the social commentator wrote: “The North carried Tinubu on their head with the Muslim-Muslim ticket and even Mallams from the North said some of us are not Muslims for not supporting Tinubu.
“One even said it is Islam that would have fallen not Tinubu if Tinubu doesn’t win.
“That is the same North you are saying is plotting against Tinubu because he is a Southern President. I laugh in Etsako.
“The North gave that Southern President the critical number of votes to rig election only to now come and start the hard work of regime change against the so called Southern President when they could have easily denied this Southern President the vote to rig election.”
Following the EndBadGovernanceInNigeria protest, the North was accused of seeking a change of government.
Some protesters had called for a military takeover. However, the Nigerian Military has distanced itself from calls to return to power.
Northerners support Tinubu, not plotting against him – Aisha Yesufu

Kaduna reaffirms 24-hour curfew enforcement

0

The Kaduna State Security Council has clarified that the 24-hour curfew imposed on Kaduna and Zaria metropolitan cities and their environs remains in place and has not been reviewed.

A statement by the Commissioner for Internal Security and Home Affairs, Samuel Aruwan, on Wednesday, noted that contrary to rumours, the curfew was still being actively enforced by security agencies in the state.

He added that citizens were advised to observe the curfew strictly and rely only on official channels for accurate and reliable updates.

He stressed the importance of adhering to the curfew and ignoring misinformation during this period while adding that the State Security Council would provide updates through official channels as necessary.

The According reports that the protesters regrouped and marched through the city’s major streets, waving Russian flags on Monday.

The development forced the state government to impose a 24-hour curfew on the Kaduna and Zaria metropolitan cities.

All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from According.

Contact: [email protected]

Alleged Economic Sabotage: Opeyemi urges feuding stakeholders to cease fire for Senate investigation

0

Chairman of the Ad-hoc committee saddled with investigating alleged economic sabotage in the petroleum sector, Senator Michael Bamidele Opeyemi has tasked stakeholders feuding over some practices in the petroleum sector to cease fire to enable the Committee carry out a discreet investigation.
Opeyemi stated this on Wednesday in Abuja, in his opening address at a one-day stakeholders’ interactive session to commence investigative activities after a month the Committee was inaugurated by the Senate President, Godswill Obot Akpabio.
He said the Committee would work in the interest of the country, emphasizing that no one was under trial, hence, all stakeholders in the industry should be ready to cooperate which requires releasing some sensitive documents to the Committee for their perusal.
The allegation of economic sabotage in the petroleum industry, he said, has been in the public domain through the media with accusation and counteraccusation, stressing that such accusation was not in the public interest now that the Committee has commenced investigation.
He said: “I urge all parties to set aside the ongoing accusations and counter-accusations as we embark on a journey towards uncovering the truth behind these matters of economic importance.
“This Ad-Hoc Committee was set up by the Senate out of genuine concern for the well-being of our nation. I, therefore, assure you that we are all committed to conducting a thorough and impartial investigation across all areas outlined in the Senate Resolution of 3rd July 2024.”
Opeyemi outlined that it will be necessary for the Committee to look into, examining the pre-shipment and pre-discharge standard test parameters adopted by the Nigerian Midstream and Downstream Regulatory Authority with a view to uncovering loopholes.
The lawmaker’s charge was at the behest of allegations of importation of toxic fuel and other oil-related substandard substances which he said, will be investigated.
He added: “Determine the level of compliance of the NNPCL’s Direct Sale and Direct Purchase arrangements in line with the provisions of the Petroleum Industry Act, including the extent of transparency and accountability in the scheme.
“Beam legislative searchlight on the activities of the Nigerian Midstream and Downstream Petroleum Regulatory Authority, including payments made to transporters in the last 10 years.
”Enquire from the NNPCL the state/status of the 22 depots built by the defunct NNPC to eliminate road distribution of petroleum products.”
He said the Committee will engage with stakeholders within the oil and gas industry to identify possible gaps in regulating and strengthening the surveillance and monitoring structures in place, to enable Nigeria to detect violations of best practice standards in the importation of products before they enter into the domestic supply chains.
In his presentation, the Group Chief Executive Officer/CEO of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited, Mele Kyari assured the Committee of cooperation, insisting that the Company does have a skeleton in its cupboard.
He lamented that he and the NNPCL management have been under media attack by those who did not mean well for the country, notwithstanding that the NNPCL is a company that belongs to over 250 million Nigerians.
According to him, the NNPCL under his leadership has grown tremendously compared to its past in oil and gas activities, while he canvassed that the proceeding of the Adhoc investigation be transmitted live on major television stations for Nigerians to be aware of happenings in the NNPCL.
He said: “Mr Chairman, we in the NNPCL are not criminals, we are not thieves as is portrayed in the media. The company belongs to over 250 million Nigerians and the company is our future; the company belongs to all Nigerians.
The interactive session was attended by the Minister of Finance and Coordinating Economy, Wale Edun, Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, Heineken Lokpobiri, the National Chairman of IPMAN; Dangote Refinery, Executive Secretary of NMDPRA, Farouk Ahmed and other stakeholders.
Alleged Economic Sabotage: Opeyemi urges feuding stakeholders to cease fire for Senate investigation

Nigerian sports officials rally behind D’Tigress ahead Olympics quarterfinal showdown

0

In a show of support and solidarity, top officials from the Federal Ministry of Sports Development visited the D’Tigress team, coaching staff, and Nigerian Basketball Federation President Musa Kidda yesterday.

This was made known in a statement by the Minister of Sports and Development, John Enoh on X.com on Wednesday.

According to Enoh, the delegation led by Permanent Secretary Mrs. Tinuke Watti and acting Director FEADS Mr. Olumide Bamiduro, aimed to motivate and inspire the team ahead of their highly anticipated Olympics quarterfinal match against Team USA today, August 7.

The statement said, “In a move to motivate and inspire D’Tigress ahead of their game later today, along with the Permanent Secretary of the Federal Ministry of Sports Development, Mrs Tinuke Watti, the acting Director FEADS, Mr Olumide Bamiduro, we paid a visit to the players, coach, technical crew of D’Tigress, and the President of the Federation, Musa Kidda.

“Notably, D’Tigress demonstrated exceptional performance at the Paris Olympics, defeating highly-ranked FIBA teams to secure a spot in the quarterfinals, thereby making history for Africa and Nigeria. Today, August 7th, D’Tigress will face Team USA in the quarterfinals.

“I extend my best wishes for their success in the game. Let us all send the best of wishes and stay rooting for them.”

The visit comes on the heels of D’Tigress’ historic performance at the Paris Olympics, where they stunned highly-ranked FIBA teams to secure a spot in the quarterfinals.

The nation holds its breath as D’Tigress takes on Team USA in what promises to be an electrifying encounter.

Nnamdi Kanu: Karma not merciful, Kenya, Buhari, others disgraced – Ejimakor warns Tinubu

0

Aloy Ejimakor, the lead Counsel of Nnamdi Kanu, leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, has told President Bola Tinubu that karma is not merciful.
Ejimakor warned Tinubu that all those involved in Kanu’s extraordinary rendition or continued detention have been disgraced, sacked, or facing resistance from their people.
He identified the crisis in Kenya, the alleged disgrace that former Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, Boris Johnson faced, and that former President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration was rated the worst.
In 2021, Kanu was rearrested and subjected to extraordinary rendition from Kenya to Nigeria under Buhari’s administration.
However, Ejimakor reminded Tinubu that Nigerians are on the streets protesting against his government.
Posting on X, Ejimakor wrote: “Every regime or person that had a hand in the extraordinary rendition of Mazi Nnamdi Kanu either left office in disgrace or was sacked or is facing resistance from his people. For example:
“Kenya has never known peace since it rubbished its sovereignty and allowed Nigeria to criminally kidnap MAZI NNAMDI KANU from Kenya. Since then, Kenya has murdered sleep and is still struggling to recover. And Uhuru Kenyatta may as yet have a date with the ICC.
“United Kingdom, under Prime Minister Boris Johnson who covertly sanctioned the kidnap of her own citizen, saw Johnson being disgraced out of office. In the same vein, the Conservative Party lost general elections to the Labour Party. Labour Party has towed the path of the Conservative Party and today their country is in turmoil.
“Nigeria: The Buhari regime that financed the rendition of #MNK from Kenya is on record as the worst government in the history of Nigeria. That regime will forever live in infamy for imposing intolerable levels of hardship and injustice which Nigerians are struggling to overcome.
“President Tinubu, like his British counterpart Keir Stammer, has declined to release MNK and surprise surprise, citizens are on the streets of Nigeria protesting in droves. The future remains ominous.
“The Bible says: Touch not my anointed and do my prophet no harm. Heaven is taking vengeance on those that kidnapped MNK and have refused to right their wrongs against him. God is in heaven for real. And Karma is not merciful.”
Nnamdi Kanu: Karma not merciful, Kenya, Buhari, others disgraced – Ejimakor warns Tinubu

BREAKING: I understand your pains, new dawn very near -Tinubu to Nigerians

0

President Bola Tinubu has appealed to Nigerians to be patient with his administration, assuring that the country is about to enter a new dawn.
Tinubu made this appeal on Wednesday, acknowledging the hardship Nigerians are going through as a result of fuel subsidy removal.
He also admitted that an avoidable lag between subsidy removal and his good and helpful plans compounded Nigerians’ pains.
“Fellow Nigerians, this period may be hard on us and there’s no doubt that it is tough on us but I urge you all to look beyond the present temporary pains and aim at the larger picture. All our good and helpful plans are in the works. More importantly, I know that they will work. Sadly, there was an avoidable lag between subsidy removal and these plans coming fully online,” he said.
The president assured that the measures his government has taken would get the country out of the lingering economic crisis, urging Nigerians to have faith in his administration.
“I plead with you, please, have faith in our ability to deliver and in our concern for your well-being. We will get out of this turbulence and due to the measures we have taken, Nigeria will be better equipped and able to take advantage of the future that awaits her.
“For example, we shall fulfill our promise to make education more affordable to all and provide loans to higher education students who may need them. No Nigerian students will have to abandon the higher education system because of lack of money.
“Our commitment is to promote the greatest good for the greatest number of our people. On principle, we shall never falter, I assure you, my fellow countrymen and women, that we are exiting the darkness to enter a new and glorious dawn. Now, I must get back to work to make this vision come true,: he added
This marks the second time the President would address Nigerians amid the lingering tension in some parts of the country.
BREAKING: I understand your pains, new dawn very near –Tinubu to Nigerians