Home Blog Page 2139

 Bayelsa SSG pays ransom as kidnappers release their own mother 34 days later

0

After 32 days in prison, Betinah Benson, mother of Bayelsa state government secretary Kombowei Benson, has regained her freedom.
The 80-year-old grandmother was kidnapped from her home in Ekeki, Yenagoa, the state capital, on July 20.

On Sunday, the Bayelsa commissioner of police, Echeng Echeng, confirmed her release at the SSG’s mansion.

According to the commissioner, she was released as a result of police pressure.

“Our message to individuals who are participating in such horrible acts is that it is a crime, and you will be arrested no matter how involved you are,” Echeng stated.
Three people have been arrested in connection with the kidnapping, according to NAN.

The SSG said the kidnappers were given a “token present of N4 million and two android phones” in exchange for his mother’s release.

The kidnappers had previously wanted a ransom of N500 million, according to the SSG.
“Mama has returned to the house, and I want to thank God and the state security team,” he stated.

“I am overjoyed that my mother has returned. They will not believe me if I tell them the ransom was not paid.

Read Also:  APC spends N2.5 billion on the construction of a secretariat

“I refused to pay N500 million when they wanted it. I handed them a token to allow Mama to return home, even though I said I wouldn’t pay.”

Fuel prices remain unchanged until the FG and labor reach an agreement – PPPRA

0

The Petroleum Industry Act, according to the Petroleum Products Pricing Regulatory Agency, foreshadowed the complete liberalization of the downstream oil sector.

It was quick to point out, however, that the negotiations between the Federal Government and labor would minimize the impact of the subsidy elimination on the sector’s full deregulation.

Abdulkadir Saidu, the PPPRA’s Executive Secretary, claimed in an Abuja statement that the price of gasoline will be reduced in such a way that it would not create hardship to consumers.

“There is no doubt that the PIA signifies the beginning of comprehensive deregulation of the downstream sector,” he said.

“However, it is important to highlight that the PIA does not immediately result in a rise in the price of PMS.

“Until negotiations with organized labor, which will produce a workable framework that minimizes the impact of a market-based pricing strategy on the masses, are concluded, the current price will remain.”

The PIA, according to Saidu, established a legal, governance, regulatory, and fiscal framework for the Nigerian petroleum industry, host community development, and other associated problems.

He claimed that the Act represented the start of a new era in the oil and gas industry’s growth and development.
“Keeping the promise of creating an environment with a transparent, clear, and rigorous legal and regulatory system will undoubtedly open up new vistas in the oil and gas business, as well as the Nigerian economy,” Saidu said.

He noted that, among other benefits, implementing the PIA will provide a more consistent level of operations and less burdensome regulatory oversight of the business.

“The PPPRA commends the Federal Government in particular for taking the bold step of resolving long-standing issues such as the issue of overlapping functions in the sector’s regulation,” he said.

Read Also:  Investors Will Be Attracted By New Petroleum Industry Law – Minister

The Nigerian Upstream Regulatory Commission, as well as the Nigerian Midstream and Downstream Petroleum Regulatory Authority, were established to clearly define the roles of industry operators and regulators, according to Saidu.

BREAKING: Ex-Nigeria’s First Lady Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi dies at 98

0

Victoria Nwanyiocha Aguiyi-Ironsi, Nigeria’s former First Lady, has died.

According to a close family ally, she died about 5.00 a.m. on Monday, the same day her friend and age mate, Chief Adanma Okpara, the former Premier of Eastern Nigeria, died.

She was the widow of Gen. Johnson Umunnakwe Aguiyi-Ironsi, the first Nigerian military head of state, who was assassinated in Ibadan by Murtala Mohammed in a countercoup.

On November 21, 1923, he was born. From 16 January 1966 to 29 July 1996, Lady Ironsi served as Nigeria’s second First Lady.

As a 16-year-old student at Holy Rosary Convent School in Okigwe, she married Johnson Aguiyi-Ironsi in 1953.

When she was visited at her home in Ogurube Layout, Umuahia, her son, Amb Thomson Aguiyi-Ironsi, was not present; however, when contacted by phone, he just indicated he will speak with her shortly.

Read Also:  INEC Confirms Date For Final Candidate List In Anambra Election

Adanma Okpara was born in June 1924, while Lady Aguiyi-Ironsi was born in November 1923.

MURIC warns Gov. Lalong against interfering in the trial of suspect arrested in connection with the deaths of 22 Muslims

0

The Muslim Rights Concern (MURIC) has stated that Governor Simon Lalong’s apology for the recent killings of 22 Muslim travelers in his state will be accepted as long as the 23 suspects arrested in connection with the killings are given a free and fair trial.

Remember that on August 14, 2021, hoodlums killed 22 Muslims in Plateau State.

Nigerians, including the Governor of People’s State, Governor Simon Lalong, condemned the killings.

The governor also expressed regret to the people of Ondo for the incident.

MURIC Professor Ishaq Akintola, the Institute’s Director, issued a statement on Monday urging the Governor to apologize to the government and people of Bauchi State, as well as Nigerian Muslims in general.

He claimed that these were the people whose feelings had been hurt the most by the senseless attack, and that they needed assurances that it would not happen again.

“A special delegation to Bauchi to express condolences to Sheikh Dahiru Bauchi and his family, whose members were brutally murdered,” he said.

“MURIC joins Sheikh Dahiru Bauchi in demanding compensation for the families of the victims,” he says. All of the victims of the unprovoked attack were family breadwinners.”

Read Also:  Benue APC crisis worsens as the party’s chairman returns a car gift

The statement continued, “We will frown at any interference, indication of interest, or deliberate action or inaction capable of delaying or derailing the course of justice through the office of the attorney general or unnecessary transfer of the judge handling the case or any other means,” adding that “we will frown at any interference, indication of interest, or deliberate action or inaction capable of delaying or derailing the course of justice through the office of the attorney general or unnecessary transfer of the judge handling the case or any other means.”

Sit-at-home: Ebonyi Police Force declared lawlessness to be a zero-tolerance policy

0

The Ebonyi State Police Command and other security agencies have pledged to conduct state-wide intensive patrols in response to the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra’s (IPOB) recent declaration of a sit-at-home order.

IPOB had set Monday as the date for its weekly sit-at-home program. The secessionist group, however, was forced to call off the action due to pressure.

Despite the suspension, parts of the region saw a ghost town on Monday last week.

However, in a statement issued by DSP Loveth Odah, the state Police Public Relations Officer, the command warned any group or organizers of the sit-at-home program to heed the order or face the consequences.

According to the PPRO, the Commissioner of Police, Mr Aliyu Garba, has directed Area Commanders, Divisional Police Officers, and Heads of Tactical/Operational Units to monitor the secessionist group’s activities in order to maintain law and order in the state.

The Commissioner stated that the command has zero tolerance for lawlessness, adding that the state’s security agencies would no longer fold their hands and watch as any group or individual violates the fundamental rights of law-abiding citizens, emphasizing that Ebonyi has always been a peaceful state.

Read Also:  Army reaffirms its commitment to combating insecurity and welcomes 5,001 new recruits into their training program

He reassured residents that they would be safe, and urged them to go about their lawful business without fear of being intimidated or harassed by any group or individual.

“The general public, particularly parents and guardians, should monitor and discourage their children/wards from engaging in any unlawful activity or criminal acts,” he said, adding that “the long arm of the law will definitely catch up with any criminal.”

Taofeek Ajilesoro, member of the Reps, has filed peace suit against Ife-Modakeke

0

Taofeek Ajilesoro, a lawmaker in the House of Representatives representing the federal constituency of Ife, has urged citizens and residents of Ife and Modakeke to put down their swords and allow for peace.

Ajilesoro also urged residents of the affected community not to allow criminal elements to seize any opportunity to cause unrest and mayhem.

The lawmaker said in a statement released on Monday that because it was an undeniable fact that Nigeria was facing security challenges as a nation, the people should allow peace to reign.

The lawmaker also urged people to join hands with the Ooni of Ife and the Ogunsua of Modakeke in their efforts to ensure peace in both towns.

While praising the state government for acting quickly to restore order, Ajilesoro assured that security operatives were working tirelessly to bring the perpetrators of the heinous act to justice.

He also urged citizens and residents of the affected communities to leave the work of constituted security agencies to them and not to take the law into their own hands.

Read Also: Former INEC boss Jega proponent of reorganization

“We should not allow evildoers to jeopardize our peaceful coexistence that we have enjoyed for years,” he says.

“As we are all aware, progress and development can only be achieved in an atmosphere of peace and love.”

Osimhen sent off against Venezia in Serie A

0

On Sunday, Napoli striker Victor Osimhen received a straight red card in their 2-0 victory over Venezia.

It was their first game of the Serie A season 2021/2022.

In the 23rd minute, Osimhen was sent off for violent conduct on Daan Heymans prior to a corner kick.

Despite their numerical disadvantage, Luciano Spalletti’s team maintained their composure and kept their opponents from scoring.
Both Lorenzo Insigne and Eljif Elmas scored in the 62nd and 72nd minutes to ensure they received all three points.

Read Also:  Cristiano Ronaldo has requested that he be benched by Juventus

Napoli’s next/ two Serie A matches against Genoa and Juventus will be without Osimhen.

Last season, the 24-year-old scored 10 goals in 24 Serie A games.

Oyinlola welcomes APC decampees to the PDP in Osun 2022

0

Prince Olagunsoye Oyinlola, a former governor of Osun State and a PDP chieftain, has urged newly decamped members to make positive changes in their wards, local governments, and the state as a whole.

During the official welcoming of decampees from the All Progressives Congress (APC) into the PDP in the Odo-Otin local government council area on Sunday, the party’s former National Secretary made this known.

The former Lagos State military administrator assured them that the party was not factionalized in the state while urging them to contribute meaningfully to the party.

He also hinted that if the PDP wins the gubernatorial election in 2022 and the presidential election in 2023, it will soon take over Osun State.
Former APC members were also welcomed into the PDP by another party chieftain and Board of Trustees member, Chief Shuaib Oyedokun, who urged the decampees to work hard for the party’s electoral success.

Read Also:  CBN has ordered banks to freeze the accounts of 18 companies

He also encouraged them to join forces and collaborate with the party’s current members.

Oyedokun also thanked all the decampees, who are mostly from Ward 12 in Odo-Otin local government, for choosing to join hands with the PDP in the State.

OAU alumni advise Buhari on secession: restructure Nigeria to quell agitations

0

Under the auspices of the Obafemi Awolowo University Muslim Graduates’ Association (UNIFEMGA), alumni of the Obafemi Awolowo University have urged the current administration in the country to listen to requests for country restructuring from groups and individuals.

UNIFEMGA stated that this was necessary to prevent further secessionist and divisive movements in the country.

If the country is restructured, the issues of insecurity, stagnant economies, bad governance, corruption, and inability to manage diversity will be a thing of the past, according to the association.

In a communique issued at the conclusion of its 2021 National Annual Reunion Conference with the theme “Nigeria at a Crossroads: The Myths, The Facts, The Reality,” UNIFEMGA stated that the country must be restructured to accommodate all sections of the country.

Political instability, lack of focused and visionary leadership, economic mismanagement, poor communication, and corruption, according to UNIFEMGA National President Engineer Abdulfattah Olanlege and National Public Relations Officer Shamsideen Adenopo, are the major factors contributing to the country’s economic decline.

In a communique made available on Monday, the association said it was disturbed by insecurity and renewed agitation in the country for self-determination.

“Political instability, a lack of focused and visionary leadership, economic mismanagement, poor communication, and corruption are easily identifiable as major factors contributing to the country’s economic decline.

“Many national debates are fueled by ignorance rather than knowledge, and as a result, debates devolve into emotional outbursts rather than evidence-based, civilized discourse.

“Our various educational institutions’ knowledge bases have not translated into solutions to our society’s problems.

“Islam is a religion that encourages all of its followers to adopt modern ideas and technologies that will improve their lives, as long as they stay within Allah’s bounds.

“It is necessary to restructure the country in such a way that all sections of the country feel a sense of belonging, as the current constitution has vested the federal government with total control of all minerals, including oil, on both land and water.

Read Also:  Benue APC crisis worsens as the party’s chairman returns a car gift

“If the country is able to reach national consensus and communicate effectively with the citizens, the issue of insecurity, stagnating economy, and bad governance, particularly decay of institutions, endemic corruption, and inability to manage diversity, will be a thing of the past,” it stated.

US asked American airlines to assist in the evacuation of Afghans

0

Following the fall of Kabul to Taliban extremists, the US enlisted the help of several major airlines to evacuate tens of thousands of Afghans, Americans, and other foreigners.

According to the Pentagon, Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin activated the Civil Reserve Air Fleet (CRAF) to assist in the onward movement of people arriving at US bases in the Middle East.

“We’re going to do everything we can to get every American citizen who wants to get out out,” Austin said in an ABC interview about the evacuation mission, adding that the same went for America’s Afghan allies.

According to the statement, 18 civilian aircraft from American Airlines, Atlas, Delta, Omni, Hawaiian, and United will assist dozens of military cargo transports in the evacuation.

Instead of flying into and out of Kabul, the planes will transport people from US bases in Qatar, Bahrain, and the United Arab Emirates to European countries, and then to the United States for many.

With tens of thousands of troops attempting to secure the Afghan capital’s airport, Washington has set a deadline of August 31 to complete one of the Pentagon’s largest evacuation missions ever.

Read also: Army reaffirms its commitment to combating insecurity and welcomes 5,001 new recruits into their training program

“We’re going to keep an eye on the situation. And, once again, we must work tirelessly to get as many people out as possible. We’ll make a recommendation to the president as we get closer to that deadline,” he told ABC.

According to President Joe Biden, up to 15,000 Americans should be removed from Afghanistan, with the administration aiming to get at least 50,000 Afghan allies and their families out as well.

There have been reports of Taliban militants intimidating and beating people trying to get to the airport, but Austin said the militants have mostly let Americans pass through safely.

The situation became even more complicated on Saturday, when the US government issued a warning to its citizens to avoid the airport due to “security threats.”

Since the operation began on August 14, the Pentagon said Saturday that 17,000 people have been evacuated, with many of them being flown first to Qatar or Kuwait. There were 2,500 Americans in total.

According to CNN, the US military and its partners have flown out another 7,900 people in the last 24 hours, according to US National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan.

“We can’t put a specific figure on exactly what we’ll be able to do going forward… but I’ll just tell you that we’re going to try to exceed expectations, and do as much as we can, and take care of as many people as we can, for as long as we can,” Austin told ABC.

The CRAF has only been used twice: once to fly troops during the Gulf War in 1990-91 and again during the Iraq invasion in 2002-2003.