Home Blog Page 2122

Buhari currently receives security briefing from service chiefs at Aso Rock

0

At State House in Abuja, President Muhammadu Buhari is currently receiving a security briefing from service chiefs.

General Bashir Magashi (retd), Attorney General of the Federation (AGF) and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami, and the service chiefs, led by Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), General Lucky Irabor, are among those in attendance.

During the last National Security Council Meeting at the Presidential Villa on August 19, 2021, Buhari promised to do everything possible to address the country’s security challenges and expressed his desire not to leave government in 2023 “as a failure.”

The President expressed happiness over the successes recorded so far by the security agencies in the fight against insurgents, bandits, kidnappers, and other criminal elements in various parts of the country, according to National Security Adviser (NSA) Major General Babagana Monguno (Rtd), who briefed State House reporters after the meeting.

Read Also:  Bandits kidnap an ex-NBC director, his daughter, and three others in Katsina

According to Monguno, the president also expressed his willingness to make additional changes to the country’s security architecture if necessary.

According to the NSA, the president told the meeting that if he was not satisfied, he would continue to make changes. All of the issues brought before the president focused on the operations in the North East’s successes.

Senator blame insecurity on Insufficient police funding

0

Senator Nicholas Tofowomo (PDP-Ondo) has blamed the current security crisis on successive governments’ failure to adequately fund the Nigeria Police Force.

Mr Tofowomo made the remarks to reporters on Tuesday in Okitipupa, where he was inspecting rehabilitation work on the burnt-out Okitipupa police station and area command, which he sponsored.

During the #EndSARS protest on Oct. 22, 2020, hoodlums demolished the structures.

Mr. Tofowomo urged the Federal Government to work hard to ensure adequate funding and equipment for the police, who play a critical role in ensuring the safety of people and property in the country.

“Policing in a large and diverse country like Nigeria requires enormous funding and sophisticated weapons, but the current situation is due to the previous government’s poor funding of the police in annual budgets.

Read Also:  Nigerian Vice President Yemi Osinbajo will chair a committee to reform the country’s health care system

“You will be surprised that the same police officers who are being chastised would have performed better if the government had increased their funding and provided them with sophisticated weapons,” he said.

Mr Tofowomo, who expressed satisfaction with the work at the police station and area command, said that his concern for the safety of his constituents’ lives and property prompted him to fund the project.

He stated that the rehabilitation work would be completed before the station’s commissioning and handover to the police on December 26.

The police command in Ondo’s spokesperson, DSP Funmilayo Odunlami, praised the senator for taking such a bold step to ensure residents’ safety.

In a telephone interview with NAN on Tuesday, Odunlami stated this

Read Also:  Trial of Chidinma, alleged killer of Super TV CEO, and two others has been remanded by the court

“We thank the senator for his kindness and for ensuring the safety of residents’ lives and property,” she said. “I appeal to our youths to refrain from destroying government property in order to press home their demands,” she added.

Oba Festus Olumoyegun, the Oniju of Iju-Odo, praised Tofowowo for his efforts to rebuild the station, saying that despite not being a native of the area, he had brought relief to the people of Ikaleland.

Tofowomo has proven beyond reasonable doubt that he can be trusted at all times, according to the traditional ruler, who urged other politicians to follow suit.

Gov. Ugwuanyi honored at media lecture where dons offer solutions to Enugu’s economic problems

0

Enugu State Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi is one of the personalities to be honored as university presidents gather on Saturday to discuss the state’s current economic challenges.

They are expected to develop realistic strategies for diversifying the state’s economy in order to support the state’s self-sustainability programs.

This is the focus of this year’s Starlite Newspapers Annual Awards and Lecture Series, which will take place on September 11th, 2021.

The event, which was conceived as a reward mechanism for leading political and private sector players, was conceptualized by the leading community newspaper in the South East of Nigeria, The Starlite Newspapers based in Enugu state.

Coming at a time of global economic recessions that have been felt across the federation as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic’s aftermath, and the need to find better ways of weaning Enugu state, and indeed other states, off the federation’s account, the event’s organizers are optimistic that the ideas that will be presented at this forum will go a long way in defining clear paths forward.

Read Also:  Masari claims that the majority of bandits are Fulanis

Mr. Harrison Ogara, Publisher and Editor-in-Chief of The Starlite Newspapers, recently described the event as “a conflagration of ideas that will move the state to unprecedented levels” in an interview with select media in Enugu.

This year’s event, which will be the publication’s second, “is meant to go beyond the normal handing over of plaques, but academic and scholarly exhortation that will have a deep impact on the political class that will grace the event,” he explained.

“We decided to use this edition to make a statement that will be ingrained in the political class; a statement that will serve as a template for Enugu State and other states on how to change the narrative of economic growth beyond sharing monthly allocations in Abuja,” he said.

The event will be attended by Rt. Hon. Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi, the Executive Governor of Enugu State, Chief Willy Obiano, the Governors of Anambra and Kogi States, Dr. Yahaya Bello and Mr. Geoffrey Onyeama, the Minister of Foreign Affairs, and a host of other leaders and captains of industry, according to him.

He went on to say that those who would be in attendance would be key players in the quest for a paradigm shift in economic growth.

According to Chief Ogara, “some of the best heads in academia and technocrats have been assembled to do justice to the event with the theme: Economic Diversification and Self-Sustainability options for Enugu State” to ensure that the message is adequately passed.

To that end, Tony Onyishi, eminent Professor of Political Science and expert in Public Administration and Local Government administration at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, will host the Lecture Series. Prof. Osita Ogbu, a former economic adviser to the President and an economic expert, will also serve as the event’s Chairman, with the responsibility of steering the discussion in the direction of the event’s theme.

Read Also:  Danbatta is releasing a book and revealing NCC projects today

This historic event, which will take place at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka’s Princess Alexandria Auditorium, will serve as a platform for recognizing and rewarding individuals, brands, companies, and government agencies for their leadership roles in the private and public sectors.

Bandits kidnap an ex-NBC director, his daughter, and three others in Katsina

0

Ahmed Abdulkadir, a former Zonal Director of the National Broadcasting Commission (NBC), his daughters, and three others were kidnapped by bandits in Bakori, Katsina State, on Monday night.

Mr Abdulkadir was abducted when the bandits stormed Shema quarters, a government estate in the town, around 9 p.m., according to a colleague of the ace broadcaster who did not want to be identified.

Laila Ahmad, his 15-year-old daughter, and three other people in the quarters were also kidnapped.

Mr Abdulkadir, a Katsina resident, had traveled to Bakori to see his second wife. He usually spends his weekends in Bakori with his family.

The broadcaster’s son, Nasif Ahmed, confirmed the kidnapping but did not provide further details.

Read Also:  Buhari has urged insurance companies in Nigeria to expand their operations

“Innalillahi wa’inna ilaihi raji’un, innalillahi wa’inna ilaihi raji’un, innalillahi wa My father and 15-year-old step-sister Laila Ahmed were kidnapped by bandits in his Bakori home,” Mr Ahmed said.

Mr Abdulkadir was the General Manager of the Katsina State Television Authority before joining NBC as Head of Public Affairs and then zonal director in both the Maiduguri and Sokoto zones.

In the last few days, bandits have attacked Bakori, which is four kilometers from Funtua. A wife and two children of Aminu Kurami, a member of the State House of Assembly who represents the area, were kidnapped on Saturday night.

Danbatta is releasing a book and revealing NCC projects today

0

Professor Umar Garba Danbatta, the Executive Vice-Chairman (EVC) of the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC), will unveil two strategic projects and launch a book based on his landmark speeches.

Dr. Ikechukwu Adinde, the NCC’s Director of Public Affairs (DPA), announced this in a statement last week in Abuja, adding that the book’s launch and unveiling of the commission’s projects were set for September 7.

According to him, the book is a collection of the EVC’s carefully chosen, seminal speeches and presentations covering all strategic areas of the nation’s telecommunications industry as well as “the entire digital economy ecosystem” since his appointment as the NCC’s EVC in August 2015.

“Since leaving the ivory tower to become the EVC of NCC in 2015, Danbatta, a Professor of Telecommunications Engineering, accomplished academic, and seasoned administrator, has given extensive speeches and presentations on a wide range of subjects in telecoms and ICT at important national, regional, and international events,” Ikechukwu said.

He went on to say that the most important speeches and presentations from 2015 to the present had been compiled into a compendium that would add to the existing body of knowledge on the telecoms industry and, by extension, the entire ICT industry.

Read also: Nigerian Vice President Yemi Osinbajo will chair a committee to reform the country’s health care system

The book, according to Adinde, will be useful reference material for current and potential investors, academic researchers, policy analysts, and others interested in the telecoms industry and its regulation.

“The late former Chairman, Board of Commissioners of NCC, late Alhaji Ahmed Joda, painstakingly wrote the foreword to the book.”

“The book is a compelling read,” Ikechukwu said, noting that it also chronicles important milestones achieved by the Commission under Danbatta’s leadership.

He announced that the NCC’s new five-year Strategic Vision Plan (SVP) 2021-2025 and its new social media channel, the “NCC’s Global Connect Podcast,” would be unveiled.

“To consolidate the telecoms sector’s growth and expand the possibilities of the digital economy, the new SVP will enable cross-functional infrastructure, ubiquitous services, and deeper consumer engagement.

“The need to develop another SVP as a five-year implementation roadmap for the Commission arose as the first SVP, unveiled by Danbatta in 2016, came to an end in 2020,” he said.

It’s widely acknowledged that Danbatta’s careful implementation of the first SVP initiative contributed to a steady increase in broadband penetration and telephone access.

“And, among other things, increase the sector’s contribution to GDP, increase healthy competition in the industry, improve quality of service (QoS), and put the sector’s overall investment profile on an impressive growth trajectory,” he added.

Masari claims that the majority of bandits are Fulanis

0

The majority of bandits wreaking havoc in the country, according to Katsina State Governor Aminu Bello Masari, are Fulani.

Governor Masari made the claim while appearing on Channels Television’s “Politics Today” program yesterday.

Read also: SAN seeks for a debt collection policy for AMCON and others.

He revealed that the elements share his religion and speak the same language as him, emphasizing that they have lived “with us for hundreds of years.”

“Bandits are people who speak the same language as me,” he explained. They hold the same religious convictions as I do.” These thugs aren’t extraterrestrials; they’re regular people. They are people who have lived among us for hundreds of years.

“The Fulani infiltration we’ve had from some African and non-African countries is people of Fulani descent.

“The Fulanis make up the majority of those involved in this banditry. That is the truth, whether it is believable or not. These are people who live in the woods and raise cattle as a main source of income.”

Trial of Chidinma, alleged killer of Super TV CEO, and two others has been remanded by the court

0

On Monday, Magistrate Adeola Adedayo of a Yaba Chief Magistrate’s Court in Lagos recommended that Chidinma Ojukwu, the alleged murderer of Super Television Chief Executive Officer Michael Usifo Ataga, be tried at the Lagos State High Court.

Adedapo Quadri and Chioma Egbuchu, who were discovered in possession of the deceased’s iPhone 7, were also recommended for trial.

Read also: Bishop: Those responsible for Nigeria’s problems will be punished by God

Magistrate Adedayo made the recommendation after receiving legal advice from the Director of Public Prosecutions, who stated that they had a prima facie case of murder, forgery, making documents without authority, and stealing established against them.

Meanwhile, Chidinma’s father, Onoh Ojukwu, Babalola Disu, was released by the court.

The first, second, fourth, and fifth defendants, respectively, were Abayomi Olutayo and Ifeoluwa Olowu, but the third defendant, Chioma Egbuchu, was recommended for trial.

She remanded Chidinma and the two others until further directive, adjourning the case until the outcome of the case filed in the High Court on September 29.

Mr Cyril Ejiofor, the Police Prosecuting Counsel, informed the court that the DPP’s legal advice was out when the proceedings resumed on Monday.

Nigerian Vice President Yemi Osinbajo will chair a committee to reform the country’s health care system

0

President Muhammadu Buhari established the Health Sector Reform Committee on Monday to start developing and implementing health-related reforms in Nigeria.
Vice President Yemi Osinbajo is the chairman of the committee, according to Garba Shehu, the President’s Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, who made the announcement in Abuja.

The team, he claims, will collaborate with state governments and the Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA).

The committee was established after a consultant, Vesta Healthcare Partners, and the Federal Ministry of Health reviewed the Health Sector Diagnostic Report.

Vesta Healthcare Partners and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation will serve on the committee as resource persons and observers.

Read also: 2023: God will give us a president like Buhari, says Ebonyi Governor

The committee has six months to finish its task.

Ifeanyi Okowa, Delta State Governor; Dr. Osagie Ehanire, Minister of Health; Alex Okoh, Director-General of the Bureau of Public Enterprise; Prof Ibrahim Abubakar, Professor of Infectious Disease Epidemiology at University College London; Babatunde Irukera, Director-General of the Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Council (FCCPC); Senator Ibrahim Yaha, Director-General of the Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Council (FCCPC); Senator Ibrahim Yaha,

NYSC DG impressed as corps member commissions digitalized library

0

The NYSC Director General Brigadier General Shuaibu Ibrahim has expressed his joy and pride when a corps Member, Ahmad Abubakar had his CDS project,an automated and Computerized library at the NYSC Directorate Headquarters Abuja commissioned.

The visibly elated Director General who led members of top Management of the scheme to the event commended the foresight ,determination and resourcefulness of the initiator culminating in the actualization of the landmark project .

While congratulating Ahmad Abubakar for this worthy contribution ,Brig Gen Ibrahim urged other corps members to emulate the laudable efforts of Ahmad Abubakar; who despite all odds succeeded in impacting on his immediate environment in the most positive way.

The Director General enjoined corps members to “add value to the Scheme” by initiating essential and useful Community Development Projects (CDS) based on felt needs of the host community.

Earlier in his welcome remarks, the Director Planning,Research and Statistics (PRS), Alhaji Ahmed Wada Ikaka, described corps member Ahmad Abubakar as hardworking and diligent young man with a brilliant mindset which endeared him to all.

Speaking on the motivation behind the sponsorship of Ahmad’s project, the Executive Director of the Nigerian Export Promotion Council (NEPC), Mr Olusegun Awolowo who was represented by the Director Export Development and Incentives, Mal. Lawal Dalhat; said the Council had no regret co- sponsoring Ahmad’s CDS Project due to the laudable idea presented by the young corps member.

Similarly, the Chief Executive Officer of the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) Alhaji Garba Abubakar who was represented by the Director Public Affairs, Mr Duke Edward Ukaga; said the Commission recognized the intelligence and the zeal to be productive in Ahmad Abubakar. These qualities informed the decision to equally co- sponsor the impressive project embarked upon by the corps member.

Directors and members of NYSC top Management, The project featured ;a)The procurement and installation of computers/ workstations.b)Procurement of scanners and printers and furniture.c)
provision of e-Library portal with server and digitized selected NYSC old and new publication.d)Provision of network facilities as well as training of 13 NYSC NDHQ Staff.

Bishop: Those responsible for Nigeria’s problems will be punished by God

0

Bishop Francis Wale Oke, the National President of the Pentecostal Fellowship of Nigeria, PFN, says those responsible for Nigeria’s woes will face God’s wrath if they refuse to stop their evil deeds.

“Such people will face the wrath of God in an unimaginable dimension,” Mr Oke, who is also the Presiding Bishop of Sword of the Spirit Ministries in Ibadan, Oyo State, said.

He made the remarks in a statement issued by his Media Aide, Kayode Oladeji, on Monday in Ibadan, at the conclusion of his ministry’s 39th Annual Holy Ghost Convention, which lasted a week.

“There are wicked people in this country who will be dealt with by God unless they repent,” Mr Oke said.

Read also: Buhari has urged insurance companies in Nigeria to expand their operations

Many Nigerians have suffered as a result of their actions, and the country has been put in unnecessary danger.”

Despite their antics, the cleric assured Nigerians that the country would survive and outlive those who were holding it down through their ungodly acts.

“Nigeria will live, and Nigeria will triumph.

“There are people who are causing problems in Nigeria; unless they repent, God will deal with them,” the president of the PFN said.

Another 200 pastors, deacons and deaconesses, elders and ministers were ordained at the convention, which ended on Sunday.