Home Blog Page 653

#EndBadGovernanceInNigeria protest only in Ijebu-Ode

0

The Ogun State Commandant, Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, David Ojelabi, on Thursday, said that there have been no reports of any protest in the state.

He added only about 20 protesters who were said to have engaged in a peaceful protest around Ibadan Road.

Ojelabi said this when addressing journalists at the MKO Abiola International, the court-designated venue for the protesters in Abeokuta.

The commandant said, “We have gone around the Abeokuta metropolis and everywhere is calm, even shops that were not opened before are now opening for business.

“The report we also received from the other two senatorial districts, that is Ogun West and Ogun East is that everywhere is peaceful except in Ijebu-Ode where about 20 were said to be protesting peacefully.

“So we urge people to go about their normal businesses as the security agencies are on the ground to ensure that everyone is secured and safe.”

Similarly, the Commissioner for Police, Abiodun Alamutu, also said that every part of the state is peaceful.

Alamutu, however, said that the protesters are free to have their peaceful protest in designated places across the state.

He said, “Everywhere is calm and you can see the presence of the security agencies on the ground, we are all working hand-in-hand to provide security for all, so, there’s no cause for alarm, everything is in order.”

All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from According.

Contact: [email protected]

Just In: Police teargas protesters at Eagles Square

0

Police operatives, on Thursday morning, teargassed some #EndBadGovernance protesters around Eagles Square, in the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja.
According to an eyewitness report, a handful of protesters came to the area against the widely publicised information that an Abuja High Court had approved Moshood Abiola National Stadium as the venue of the protest.
Recall that the High Court had issued an order in a case filed by the FCT Minister, Nyesom Wike, which restricted the August 1 hunger protest to the Stadium.
READ ALSO: Protesters vow to continue #EndBadGovernanceInNigeria protests until Tinubu meets demands
However, sighting the protesters, the police operatives, who made efforts to make them leave the area, moved to make the area unconducive for the protesters by firing the tear gas into the air.
Despite the confrontation, protesters kept on singing and displaying the national flag and some other placards.
The protesters were orderly and determined to express their mood.
Security operatives had earlier prevented them from moving to the Eagle Square.
The post Just In: Police teargas protesters at Eagles Square appeared first on Latest Nigeria News | Top Stories from TVN.

Protest peaceful in Edo – Daily Post Nigeria

0

Home
News
Politics
Metro
Sport
Entertainment
Opinion
Education
Health
Interview
Daily Post Ghana

Connect with us

Daily Post Nigeria

Protest peaceful in Edo

Home
News
Politics
Metro
Entertainment
Sport

News

August 1, 2024

Enahoro Iyemefokhai

Related Topics:edoprotest

Don’t Miss

You may like

Advertise
About Us
Contact Us
Privacy-Policy
Terms

Protesters destroy posters, pelt Gombe govt house

0

Some angry protesters on Thursday pelted stones at the Gombe State Government House, while the rest wreaked havoc at the Jekadafari axis of the Gombe Local Government Area.

Recall that on Tuesday Governor Muhammadu Yahaya, had a meeting with critical stakeholders, where they assured him that they would not participate.

Yahaya had urged interested protesters to register with the Commissioner of Police, following the Inspector General of Police’s order.

Gombe

 

The Public Relations Officer ASP Buhari Abdullahi confirmed the breakdown of law and order in the state.

He said “The situation is under control. We are managing the situation the situation now is relatively calm. We are trying to talk to them so that they can consider dialogue.”

Asked why the protest in Gombe turned violent Abdullahi added, “As you know it’s everywhere but the commissioner of police is on the ground and other security heads are on the ground managing the situation.”

All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from According.

Contact: [email protected]

Lekki Toll gate under heavy guard as protests erupt in Lagos

0

Thursday witnessed a significant security presence at the Lekki Toll Gate in Lagos State as protesters gathered to demand an end to bad governance.

The area was heavily fortified with security personnel who were deployed to maintain order and prevent any potential unrest.

Photos and videos by Saheed Olugbon capture the scene, showing a large number of security officers and vehicles stationed at the toll gate.

Credit: Saheed Olugbon

All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from According.

Contact: [email protected]

FACT CHECK: Is video showing ‘Say No To Protest’ women receiving money authentic?

0

As the nationwide protest kicks off today August 1, the #EndBadGovernment protest has become the major subject matter of discussion across social media.
The protest is targeted to demonstrate people’s dissatisfaction over the ongoing hardships in Nigeria; hunger, corruption and insecurity among other things.
However, some social media users are exploiting the campaign to spread misinformation online.
Hence, in a period like this, unverified claims can intensify tension that will lead to unrest. This reporter conducted this fact-check to set the records straight.
Claim

A post circulating by an online influencer @Mrs Zanga has surfaced on X (formerly Twitter). The post showed a picture of women that gathered at the Eagle Square Arena, Abuja, protesting against people planning a nationwide protest, and another video of alleged APC agents distributing cash to people was aligned with it. This post was tagged with a caption “how it started vs how it ended”.
The post has generated over 451,000 views, 310 comments, 4,100 likes, 2,500 reposts and 535 bookmarks.
READ ALSO:FACT CHECK: Did three ‘youngest’ lawmakers reject SUVs from Nigerian govt?
@Chimacoeche for instance said: “Chai! Just work hard, make APC no use hunger turn you to a beggar.”
Another user, @jayzee85960763 commented: “Who be that man wey Dey wear blue wey Dey for back. His suffering much aje. U see Nigerians Dey like sufferings so I won’t blame them…I decide to sell your right for 5k…chai.”
Similarly, @KelechiE said: “When will Nigerians learn? The guy sharing that money should have been grabbed and panelled for this insensitive act.”
Verification
Findings showed that the post is misleading.
A verification by reverse image search showed that the picture is true, as several reliable Nigerian media platforms reported the news on Monday, 29th July, 2024.

However, the video is contradictory to the picture. While the picture showed women staging a protest at Abuja, as they held banners with “say no to protest”. The video does not show the aftermath of the staged protest by the women.
When some of the screenshot clips from the video were subjected to reverse image search, it was revealed that News Direct had published an article with the video clip on Monday, 29th July, 2024, titled “Viral Video Shows APC Agents Distributing Money to Residents Ahead of Edo Governorship Election”.
The article alleged that the video captured several individuals believed to be agents of the All Progressive Congress (APC), as they distributed money to people ahead of the Edo gubernatorial election set for 21st September, 2024.

Also, this reporter noticed that the video showed both men and women receiving money instead of what is supposed to be only women that converged at the protest.
Verdict
Misleading! While the picture truly showed women demonstrating against the upcoming nationwide protest, the video captured some alleged APC agents distributing money to both men and women in Edo, and not the previous women.
By Muheeb Mashood
The post FACT CHECK: Is video showing ‘Say No To Protest’ women receiving money authentic? appeared first on Latest Nigeria News | Top Stories from TVN.

Traders cautious, security heightened as Kogi remains calm

0

A morning tour of Lokoja, the capital of Kogi State, on Thursday revealed no signs of protests.

According Online reported that the areas visited were clear of any gatherings.

At the popular post office along the Lokoja-Kabba/Okene road, traders were seen cautiously opening their shops halfway, carefully assessing the safety situation before fully opening.

Security personnel, including police, civil defence officers, and local vigilantes, were observed patrolling key locations throughout the town.

At the Secretariat of the National Youth Council of Nigeria, police were stationed at the gate, monitoring the movement of individuals entering and exiting the venue of the state-organised engagement programme.

All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from According.

Contact: [email protected]

Foot injury sidelines Man Utd’s new signing Yoro, three others

0

Manchester United’s preseason preparations have been disrupted by a series of injuries to key players, raising concerns ahead of the new campaign.

The club has confirmed four injuries during their tour, with two players facing extended periods on the sidelines.
New signing Leny Yoro has been ruled out for approximately three months with a foot injury.

The 18-year-old defender, who recently joined United from Lille for £58.9m, limped off during a friendly against Arsenal.

The club stated, “Yoro has opted to stay with the team on tour, with further assessment to be carried out upon his return to the UK.”

In another blow, striker Rasmus Højlund is set to miss six weeks due to a hamstring injury.

Initially thought to be a minor issue, the club confirmed, “Højlund scored against Arsenal but then went off in the 16th minute and will also miss the start of the season.”

The injury list grew during United’s 3-2 victory over Real Betis, with both Marcus Rashford and Antony being substituted due to apparent injuries.

Rashford appeared to have an issue with his right ankle, while Antony was withdrawn with a hand problem.
Tom Heaton, speaking to Sky Sports News, described both substitutions as “precautionary.”

These injuries could have a significant impact on United’s start to the season.

Sky Sports News senior reporter Melissa Reddy said, “It’s a massive double blow to Erik ten Hag’s plans for the new campaign and heightens United’s need to fortify the heart of their defence.”

The club now faces a race against time to get players fit for their upcoming fixtures.

United are set to face Manchester City in the Community Shield on 10 August, followed by their Premier League opener against Fulham on 16 August. The high-profile clash with Liverpool on 1 September looms large, with Højlund potentially still unavailable.

Woman carries empty pot to #EndBadGovernance protest in Lagos [PHOTOS]

0

A woman was seen carrying an empty pot during the #EndBadGovernance protest on Kudirat Abiola Way in Ikeja, Lagos.
The protest, part of a broader movement across Nigeria, attracted a large crowd voicing their dissatisfaction with government policies and economic conditions.
The woman’s empty pot, a potent symbol of hunger and hardship, resonated with many protesters who are struggling with high inflation, unemployment, and economic instability.
The demonstration in Lagos was one of many held nationwide, with citizens demanding better governance and accountability from the country’s leaders.
The #EndBadGovernance protests have gained momentum in recent days, with participants calling for comprehensive reforms and an end to corruption and mismanagement.
The woman’s silent yet powerful message encapsulates the dire situation faced by many Nigerians, amplifying the voices of those struggling to make ends meet.

Woman carries empty pot to #EndBadGovernance protest in Lagos [PHOTOS]

#EndBadGovernanceInNigeria protest begins in Rivers

0

Hundreds of youths have begun the #EndBadGovernaceInNigeria protest in Port Harcourt, the Rivers State capital.

The protesters gathered at the Rumuola Junction along Aba Road and gradually built up to over 100 before starting the protest.

As they moved several other youths who were waiting patiently in several strategic areas joined as the number of protesters continued to swell

The youths some carrying placards now numbering over 500 are marching through the busy Aba Road heading to the Government House, Port Harcourt.

Some of the inscriptions on their placards read, “We say no to bad governance in Nigeria”, There is hunger in the land”, and “Nigeria is too rich to be poor”. ‘Tinubu must go’, ‘A cup of Rice is N400, how can the common man survive’, among others

All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from According.

Contact: [email protected]