Home Blog Page 643

Four nabbed as hoodlums torch police container at Abuja checkpoint

0

Federal Capital Territory Police Command on Thursday said hoodlums burnt a police container compartment at the Nyanya checkpoint.

The command also said there was an attempt to vandalise the Tipper garage Police post at the Nyanya area of FCT.

This was contrary to viral reports claiming that the Nyanya Divisional Police Headquarters had been razed by hoodlums.

The command in a statement by its spokesperson, Josephine Adeh said four suspects who attempted to vandalise the Tipper garage Police post were arrested.

She said, ” Contrary to the news making rounds about Nyanya division being burnt down by violent protesters, the FCT police command wishes to state that it wasn’t the police division that was burnt but rather the police container compartment at Nyanya checkpoint that was set ablaze and the attempt to vandalize the Tipper garage Police post by four suspects, Mathias Jude 29 ‘m’ of Nyanya Area D, Mohammad Ahmed 23, Abba Jibril 18 and Mohammad Haruna 18, who have been arrested.”

Adeh said the FCT Commissioner of Police, Benneth Igweh had frowned on the destruction of public and police infrastructure during the protest.

She added that anyone caught would be made to face the wrath of the law.

Adeh said, “The commissioner of police FCT, CP Benneth C. Igweh while acknowledging the right of residents to protest, frowns at the destruction of public or police infrastructure, as any violent protester arrested for destroying public property will be caused to face the wrath of the law.”

All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from According.

Contact: [email protected]

Ndigbo have seen worse, nothing to protest about – Archbishop Onuagha

0

The Methodist Archbishop of Okigwe Archdiocese, Rt Rev. Biereonwu Livinus Onuagha, says Igbos have nothing to protest about.
Onuagha, while describing Nigeria as a polarized nation, said no protest will succeed in Nigeria because the country is not united, and lacks leaders.
He added that any protest was only going to be hijacked somewhere along the line and the consequences and blame would be pushed to the Igbos.
The cleric, who said it was better for all Igbo people to stay in their homes, urged them that nobody should go out, adding that they were not protesting anything
“They have done all they could do to Ndigbo, and the Igbo man does not have any problem again in Nigeria.
“They have dealt with us so much and so badly that there is nothing to deal with us again for us to protest. What are we protesting for that they have not done to us in the past? Is it the marginalization they have been using or what? They have six states in all the geopolitical zones but we have five states.
“Secondly, they have removed the only rail line we have that the colonial master put for use. They have not replaced it like they are doing in other parts of the country, so what are we protesting for? We have been surviving without relying on the government of Nigeria, so whatever anybody does, the Igbo man will always survive. Igbo men will not protest, we are not supposed to protest, anybody who goes to protest is on his own and is just wasting his time. For me, everybody should stay at home, let them protest and tell us the result,” he said.
Ndigbo have seen worse, nothing to protest about – Archbishop Onuagha

Protesters burn NSCDC vehicle, vandalise properties in Katsina

0

Some youths who took to the streets in Katsina metropolis to protest over the economic hardship set a vehicle belonging to the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps ablaze.

They have also vandalised public properties believed to be worth millions of Naira.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the youths went around various streets in the city after the first group called “Struggle for Good Governance” ended its protests.

The spokesman of the NSCDC Command in Katsina, Buhari Hamisu, said that their vehicle had developed a fault while on patrol and could not move, as such, it was left on the road.

He explained that when the protesters arrived in the area, they set the vehicle ablaze and fled.

The protesters went on a rampage and continued vandalising public properties especially street lights by removing their cables and other accessories.

They also damaged some drainages and culverts in many parts of the metropolis and removed the rods.

Meanwhile, the acting Governor of Katsina State, Alhaji Faruq Jobe, said the state has witnessed peaceful protests, but not violent as reported from other states.

The acting governor disclosed this while addressing journalists in Katsina on Thursday regarding the nationwide hunger protests in the state.

According to him, the government is happy that the protests did not turn violent, attributing it to their commitment and engagement with the relevant stakeholders.

Jobe further appealed to parents to counsel their children in order to stay away from any form of violence in the state.

He, therefore, commended the people of the state for conducting themselves in an orderly manner, calling on them to sustain the tempo.

Jobe said that the day coincided with the annual day set aside to be observing prayers for the peace and development of the state.

The acting governor further appealed to the people to intensify prayers for peaceful coexistence in the state and the country as a whole.

(NAN)

Nasarawa youths troop out for EndBadGovernance protest [PHOTOS]

0

Thousands of angry youths in the Lafia local government area of Nasarawa State took to the streets on Thursday, blocking the Makurdi/Jos highway and preventing commuters and motorists from entering Lafia, the state capital.
The protest, part of a nationwide movement, reflects growing dissatisfaction with the current state of governance in Nigeria.
The protest, which appeared calm in the morning became tensed later in the day, with youths chanting, “We are hungry” in Hausa language.
TVN reports that the massive turnout of protesters overwhelmed security operatives, making it difficult for them to maintain order.
Demonstrators lit bonfires on major roads, chanting solidarity songs. They carried placards with messages such as “President Ahmed Bola Tinubu must resign”, “We are fed up with hunger, bad leadership”, “Tinubu must reverse fuel subsidy removal”, and “Give jobs to unemployed youths across the nation,” among others.
Nasarawa youths troop out for EndBadGovernance protest [PHOTOS]

Protesters defy downpour, barricade Delta road

0

#EndBadGovernance protesters with placards with different inscriptions defied heavy downpour in Ughelli, Ughelli North Local Government Area of Delta State on Thursday as they barricaded the East-West road at its Ughelli axis to express their agitation.

The protesters demanded that the ”Federal Government should enunciate policies that will better the lots of Nigerians and reversal or abolishment of fuel subsidies cancellation.”

The protesters who besieged the Otovwodo junction of the East-West road, the same spot where the #EndSARS protest started in 2020, blamed President Bola Tinubu’s administration for allegedly implementing unfavourable economic policies.

“Those policies were not geared toward providing a good standard of living for Nigerians and fostering a lot of hunger in the citizenry,” they chorused during the protest.

However, the Nigerian Army’s quick intervention saved the situation from degenerating into crisis as the armed personnel escorted the protesters to ensure there was no violence or breakdown of law and order.

Earlier, the Ughelli North LG council chairman, Jaro Egbo, cautioned protesters from entering the streets of Ughelli and its environs insisting that Oharisi Primary School was the designated area for the protesters to exercise their rights.

As of the time of filing this report, more than ten Hilux patrol vans of the Nigerian Army, Nigeria Mobile Police, Nigeria Civil Defence and Security Corps, the Vigilante Group of Nigeria (VGN) and other security agencies were stationed at the junction to combat any attempt by hoodlums to hijack the protest.

All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from According.

Contact: [email protected]

Protest flops in Ekiti as residents stay at home

0

The first day of the much publicised nationwide protest in Ekiti was generally uneventful, as many residents adopted a sit-at -home approach, TVN reports.
Our state correspondent, who monitored the exercise in Ado-Ekiti, the state capital, and other major towns like Ikole-Ekiti, Oye-Ekiti, Ikere-Ekiti, Emure and others, reports that rather than organising or joining any protest, residents stayed indoors.
There was no vehicular moment on the major roads in Ado-Ekiti and other roads linking the state capital to other destinations, as the roads were empty.
Also, there were no reports of violence from any quarter across the state, as at the time of filing this report.
A visit to the State Secretariat, along the popular Bank Road in Ado-Ekiti, showed that not many workers were at their desk, as only few staff, particularly security personnel, were sighted.
In the same vein, a visit to some banks in the state showed that they were under lock and keys, as the planned protest paralysed normal activities.
The major markets in the town, like Adebayo, King’s market, Bisi market, Okesa market, Sabo market, and Ojido, among others, were also deserted, as few people were seen in front of their shops without opening them.
A visit to the State High Court and magistrates courts also showed that not many workers were on ground, as the premises were also deserted, with only few staff seen in the office performing their duties, while many did not come to work.
One of the staff interviewed, Miss Folashade Aina, said she was afraid to come to the office in the morning, saying she had to first make calls to verify the security situation in town before coming to office.
She said that she was surprised to see some people opening shops and going on their daily business activities, as there was no sign of protest anywhere in Ado-Ekiti.
She said although the office was scanty, she believed that staff would resume on Friday, adding that they only wanted to see how events would unfold on Thursday.
She urged the government to look out for ways to put an end to the hardship and economic challenge in the country.
A legal practitioner, Mr Sola Olawale, said that he was in support of a peaceful protest, such as sit-at-home approach, to drive home the grievances of Nigerians who seek an end to hunger in the country.
It was also observed that security agents were positioned in strategic locations, to avoid breakdown of law and order.
Protest flops in Ekiti as residents stay at home

Wike visits Tinubu amid nationwide protests

0

As protests kicked off nationwide, on Thursday, the Federal Capital Territory Minister, Nyesom Wike, was spotted at the Presidential Villa in Abuja on Thursday afternoon.

At minutes past 04:00 pm local time, our correspondent spotted the former Rivers State Governor alighting from a black Toyota Prado Sports Utility Vehicle and was ushered into the President’s office.

Though the topic of their discussion remains unknown as of this report, it is most likely connected to the ongoing protests in the nation’s capital.

However, Wike did not brief journalists after the meeting.

Amid the nationwide protests which began on August 1, the FCT saw massive demonstrations from crowds who thronged the central business district and suburbs as security officials fired tear gas to disperse protesters.

The According observed persons believed to be thugs wielding sticks and throwing stones at motorists within Abuja metropolis.

There was a heavy security presence at Eagles Square, the proposed rendezvous point for the protest as armed personnel barricaded the route leading to the Presidential Villa.

Our correspondent also narrowly escaped to safety as thugs directly hurled stones and chanted anti-government slogans.

Nigerians are protesting the rising cost of living, organisers say.

The protest, tagged #EndBadGovernance, has gained traction on social media and was scheduled to occur in all 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory.

Africa’s most populous country is facing what has been described as its worst economic headwinds in a generation.

Upon assuming office 14 months ago, President Bola Tinubu announced an end to petrol subsidies, which, he said, would save the government monies for infrastructural expansion. He also unified the foreign exchange rates, which he argued would curb currency arbitrage.

However, these policies sparked a collateral slump in the value of the naira as food prices soared. More so, widespread insecurity in many farming communities has displaced farmers, contributing to higher food prices.

The protest follows similar demonstrations in Kenya, from which experts say Nigerians may have drawn inspiration.

Kenyan youths have staged massive protests for weeks, forcing President William Ruto’s government to backtrack on tax hikes.

Organisers used social media platforms like X and Instagram to mobilise millions of young Kenyans for protests, a strategy similar to that deployed on Nigerian social media.

In October 2020, Nigeria saw massive protests nationwide when thousands of young people demonstrated against police brutality under the hashtag #EndSars.

The protests, which were later hijacked, turned violent, with billions of naira worth of properties destroyed and bloodshed, which organisers blamed on the security forces who denied using live rounds

Kaduna denies imposing 24-hour curfew

0

The Kaduna State Police Command has arrested 25 protesters following the #EndBadGovernanceInNigeria protest on Thursday.

Meanwhile, the state government has denied the imposition of a 24-hour-curfew in the state

The According reports that the protests which began peacefully around the popular NEPA roundabout in the metropolis, turned violent as the protesters attempted to force themselves into the Sir Kashim Ibrahim Government House.

But the protesters vandalised government property including the office of the Kaduna State Traffic Law Enforcement Agency along the Sokoto Road in the heart of the state.

Part of the office was burnt while furniture and some property in the office were carted away by the protesters.

The Chief of Staff to the governor, Sani Kila, who visited the scene, noted the governor did not impose a 24-hour curfew as reported in some media.

“We have gone round the state and all is calm. There is no curfew as reported by some media,” he said.

Meanwhile, the Kaduna State Police Command’s Public Relations Officer, Mansir Hassan, ASP, said those arrested attempted to hijack a peaceful protest.

According to the spokesman, the protesters had been instructed to submit their details to ensure a peaceful demonstration.

“However, some elements within the group defied this directive and turned violent, attempting to breach the Government House and damaging a police armoured vehicle,” he said.

The PPRO further warned that the command would not tolerate any form of destructive or violent protest, and those arrested would face the full force of the law.

He reaffirmed its commitment to protecting citizens’ rights to peaceful assembly while ensuring public safety and security.

Violent protesters set ablaze secretariat, two vehicles in Niger

0

The Police Command in Niger has nabbed eleven violent protesters for allegedly attempting to set ablaze Tafa Local Government Secretariat during the nationwide protests.

The Command’s spokesperson, SP Wasiu Abiodun, disclosed in Minna on Thursday that the hoodlums partially burnt part of the secretariat and looted valuable items.

He explained that at about 9:30 am, some miscreants from the Tafa area of Kagarko Local Government Area of Kaduna State and Hayin-Diko of Gurara Council Area of Niger stormed the secretariat located in Sabon-Wuse along the Abuja-Kaduna Expressway.

Abiodun said the hoodlums vandalised and partially set ablaze the secretariat, burnt two vehicles as well as vandalised two others.

He said the hoodlums went further to loot valuables inside offices in the secretariat, adding that in the process, police and other security agencies responded to the scene.

Abiodun said that eleven miscreants were nabbed with different dangerous weapons, including firearms while others were dispersed from the scene and some of the looted items were recovered.

He added that the police and other security agencies responded to the blockage of the Kaduna-Abuja expressway and the old toll gate to disperse the hoodlums who blocked it.

Abiodun said the expressway has been reopened for free flow of traffic, adding that an investigation into the violent act has commenced to nab the other fleeing miscreants.

He warned the public, parents and residents to caution their wards against engaging in violent protests and destruction of public assets as such actions would not be tolerated.

Abidoun warned, “Anyone caught engaging in violent demonstrations and any act of lawlessness would be dealt with decisively under the law.”

(NAN)

All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from According.

Contact: [email protected]

Police arrests 11 protesters in Niger

0

Police operatives in Niger have arrested 11 violent protesters for allegedly attempting to set ablaze Tafa local government secretariat during the ongoing #EndBadGovernance protest in the state.
The spokesman for the state police command, Waisu Abiodun, disclosed this to journalists on Thursday in Minna.
He said the hoodlums partially burnt part of the secretariat and looted valuable items.
Abiodun said: “At about 9:30 a.m., some miscreants from Tafa area of Kagarko Local Government Area of Kaduna State and Hayin-Diko of Gurara Council Area of Niger stormed the secretariat located in Sabon-Wuse along Abuja-Kaduna expressway.
“The hoodlums vandalised and partially set ablaze the secretariat, burnt two vehicles as well as vandalised two others.
“They went further to loot valuables inside offices in the secretariat. The police and other security agencies responded to the scene.
“11miscreants were nabbed with different dangerous weapons, including firearms while others were dispersed from the scene and some of the looted items were recovered.”
The post Police arrests 11 protesters in Niger appeared first on Latest Nigeria News | Top Stories from TVN.