The Chairman of Ajeromi-Ifelodun Local Government Area of Lagos State, Mr Fatai Ayoola, has said that local governments have no reason not to pay the newly approved N70,000 minimum wage.
Ayoola, who spoke in Lagos on Thursday, stated that with increased federal allocations under President Bola Tinubu’s administration and the recently granted financial autonomy, local governments had been well-equipped to pay the new wage.
According to him, local governments recorded a 100 percent increase in federal allocations under the present administration.
“There is no reason councils should not be able to pay the minimum wage, with direct federal allocations to them.
“Ajeromi-Ifelodun pays more than the minimum wage in terms of allowances added to the salaries of our staff members.
“Paying the minimum wage will not pose any issue to us and will not affect our ongoing and future projects,” he said.
He added that the council regularly gave palliatives to its staff and community members.
“We buy a trailer of rice monthly bag the rice into 10kgs and sell it for less than N7,000 to people in our communities.
“We also distribute portions of cow meat, we take care of security outfits that support protecting our environment,” he said.
He commended President Bola Tinubu for facilitating financial autonomy for local governments.
He said that local governments should make more impact on their communities and ensure accountability.
Ayoola added that local council officials should make necessary sacrifices for the good of the people at the grassroots, urging Nigerians to hold their local government chairmen accountable.
Minimum wage: LGs have no reason to complain – Council chairman
Minimum wage: LGs have no reason to complain – Council chairman
Chelsea confirm Anselmino signing from Boca Juniors

The Chelsea Football Club has announced the signing of defender Aaron Anselmino, who will spend the 2024/25 campaign on loan at Boca Juniors.
According to a statement issued by the Chelsea Football Club on Thursday, Aaron, 19, has signed a seven-year contract at Stamford Bridge but will initially continue his development in his native Argentina, where we look forward to monitoring and supporting him in his progress.
“Aaron spent time in the youth ranks of Juventud Unida and Sportivo Realico before joining Boca at the age of 12.
“He signed his first professional contract with the club on 10 June 2023, and was handed his first-team debut against Lanus on the same day.
“The centre-back has gone on to make nine further appearances for Boca and scored his first senior goal for the club in April, a winner in the Copa Sudamericana group stage against Trinidense. Welcome to Chelsea and good luck or loan, Aaron!,” Chelsea said.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from According.
Contact: [email protected]
Ngannou to make MMA return against Ferreira October 19

Undisputed Heavyweight Champion Francis “The Predator” Ngannou will return to MMA for the World Title Fight of the year against PFL Heavyweight Champion Renan ‘Problema’ Ferreira on October 19.
In a statement issued on Wednesday by the Professional Fighters League (PFL), it was announced that Ngannou, who last competed in MMA in 2022, has been focusing on boxing, with notable fights against Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua in Saudi Arabia. However, the ‘Baddest Man on the Planet’ is now turning his attention back to MMA, where he will face his toughest test yet in the form of the towering Brazilian Ferreira.
The greatest women’s MMA fighter of all time, Cris ‘Cyborg’ (27-2, 1 NC), will face two-time PFL Champion Larissa Pacheco in the co-main event of the PFL PPV Super Fight, which will be broadcast live on ESPN+ PPV in the U.S. and DAZN worldwide.
“The Professional Fighters League is excited to announce the highly anticipated return of superstar and undisputed Heavyweight Champion Francis Ngannou to MMA in The Battle of the Giants against the most-feared Heavyweight, 6’8″ 2023 PFL Heavyweight Champion Renan Ferreira, in the biggest world title fight of the year,” said PFL CEO Peter Murray.
Speaking about the challenge of his opponent ahead of the fight, Ngannou said, “Renan is a great fighter; I have been watching him for years. I have been studying him for years; in fact, I’ve been telling people to watch this guy. He’s quite unique—athletic and fast. His size doesn’t impress me as much as his skill.”
In the co-main event, Cris’s legacy will be on the line when she squares off against PFL two-division champion Pacheco (23-4), who aims to prove she is the greatest women’s MMA fighter on the planet.
“We are incredibly excited to broadcast this blockbuster night of PFL action on October 19,” said Pete Oliver, CEO of Growth Markets at DAZN. “Francis Ngannou is one of the biggest names in combat sports, and with the formidable Renan Ferreira, this fight night is not to be missed.”
Nigerian university asks female students, staff to stay indoors over ‘Oro festival’
The management of the Federal University Oye-Ekiti (FUOYE) has issued a safety advisory, urging all female staff and students on the institution to stay indoors from August 7th to 9th, 2024, due to the Oro festival in the community.
The traditional festival will take place from 9:00 pm to 6:00 am each day, restricting women’s movement during these hours.
TVN learnt the university is taking the precaution to ensure the safety and well-being of its female community members.
The directive was contained in a memo titled: “Notice to All Female Staff and Students on Ikole Campus,”signed by Senior Assistant Registrar Ibukunoluwa O. Alamu.
“This is to inform all female staff and students on the Ikole campus of the University that they are requested to stay indoors between Wednesday, 7th August, and Friday, 9th August 2024 due to the ‘Oro’ festival scheduled to hold within the Ikole-Ekiti community. This is for your kind noting,” the memo read.
Nigerian university asks female students, staff to stay indoors over ‘Oro festival’
Amnesty International condemns attack on NLC headquarters

The Country Director of Amnesty International, Isa Sanusi, condemned the invasion of the headquarters of the Nigeria Labour Congress in Abuja on Wednesday.
He disclosed this in a statement on Thursday.
The raid, which occurred on Wednesday night, was described as a “sinister and calculated attack” designed to intimidate the labour union.
He stated, “Amnesty International strongly condemns the brazen invasion of the headquarters of Nigeria Labour Congress by a contingent of armed security personnel. The chilling raid last night appears to be part of a sinister and calculated attack designed to intimidate the labour union.”
During the raid, security personnel ransacked the NLC bookshop, confiscating materials and claiming they were used to incite and organize recent protests.
Sanusi expressed concern about the safety of NLC officials, stating, “We are deeply concerned about the safety of NLC officials. Under international human rights law and standards, trade unions cannot be targeted for their participating activities.”
Amnesty International emphasised that Nigeria has an obligation to respect and protect the rights of trade unions under international human rights law.
Sanusi added, “Under international human rights law, Nigeria has an obligation not only to respect the rights of trade unions but also to protect these rights from abuse.”
The raid on the NLC headquarters has sparked fears of a broader crackdown on labour activism in Nigeria.
The NLC has been at the forefront of recent protests against government policies, and the raid is seen as an attempt to silence the union’s voice.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from According.
Contact: [email protected]
Protest: Don’t poke-nose in our internal issues – Nigerian Govt warns foreign powers
The Federal Government of Nigeria has issued a stern warning to foreign countries against meddling in the nation’s internal affairs.
The Minister of Foreign Affairs, Ambassador Yusuf Tuggar, issued the warning on Wednesday while briefing members of the Diplomatic Corps in Abuja, highlighting the significance of cordial international relationships.
TVN recalls that the protest, which gained momentum in major cities, such as Lagos, Benin, Osun, Oyo, Kano, Gombe, Yobe, Borno, Niger, Kebbi, Abuja, and other northern towns, was marked by violence, and that at least six Spaniards were arrested in Kano in connection with the protest.
The minister called for continued collaboration from the international community to support Nigeria’s efforts in overcoming its current challenges and achieving a better future for all Nigerians.
Tuggar, who reiterated the government’s efforts to work hard through the various reform programs and measures to address challenges facing Nigeria and Nigerians, stressed that no nation tolerates foreign interference in its domestic affairs and that of its citizens, adding that Nigeria is not an exception.
According to him, the government would take appropriate action against any foreign entity residing in Nigeria that is found to have directly or indirectly supported the protesters by whatever means or seeks to interfere in the internal affairs of the country.
“Nigeria cherishes and continues to value the cordial relationships that happily subsist between her and your countries and organizations and will not do anything to undermine or take for granted such relationships.
“Indeed, more than any time before now, we solicit your understanding and collaboration in the ongoing efforts of the Federal Government in addressing the economic challenges confronting the country, to achieve a better life for every Nigerians at home and abroad,” the minister warned.
Protest: Don’t poke-nose in our internal issues – Nigerian Govt warns foreign powers
Immigration suspends officer caught on video asking for money at Lagos Airport
The Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) has taken swift action against one of its officers caught on camera soliciting money from a traveler at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport in Lagos.
Assistant Superintendent of Immigration II, Okpravero C. Ufuoma, has been indefinitely suspended pending the outcome of a disciplinary investigation, the service announced on Wednesday.
A viral video captured the officer soliciting for bribe red-handed while on duty, a development that sparked outrage on social media. The NIS, in a statement signed by Comptroller General Kemi Nana Nandap, condemned the officer’s behavior as “disgraceful” and a direct contradiction of its ongoing reforms aimed at improving service delivery and integrity.
Read Also: 8/8 Day: Osun Police warn against cultism celebration, vow to clamp down on unlawful gatherings
“We wish to inform the public that the conduct of the officer, identified as Okpravero C. Ufuoma, an Assistant Superintendent of Immigration II (ASI 2) at Muhammed International Airport, Lagos, does not reflect the values and ethics of professionalism upheld by the NIS.
“The NIS condemns this misconduct in the strongest terms, as it undermines the ongoing reforms aimed at enhancing our service standards. This disgraceful act is not representative of our commitment to hospitality, reception and courtesy,” the statement read in part.
It added, “As a result, the officer has been indefinitely suspended pending the outcome of disciplinary procedures, which are in the accordance with the law and Public Service Rules.”
To prevent similar occurrences and streamline passenger processing, the NIS revealed plans to install electronic gates (e-gates) at all five international airports across the country.
The post Immigration suspends officer caught on video asking for money at Lagos Airport appeared first on Latest Nigeria News | Top Stories from TVN.
UK visa approval for Nigerians hits record high of 430,000
Despite ongoing unrest in the United Kingdom, the British High Commissioner to Nigeria, Dr. Richard Montgomery, has revealed that the UK government has approved an unprecedented 430,000 visas for Nigerians seeking to study or relocate to the country in 2024 alone.
During a meeting with Abike Dabiri-Erewa, Chairman of the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission in Abuja on Wednesday, Montgomery sought to alleviate concerns about safety, highlighting the UK’s diverse population and measures to address the unrest.
Read Also: Press centre, police launch probe into attacks on journalists during hunger protests in Lagos
“Approximately 430,000 Nigerian visa applications have been successfully processed in 2024,” he said.
He noted that 60 special courts have been established to tackle related criminal activities and that 400 individuals have been arrested in connection with the violence.
However, the UK government’s ability to balance the need for security with the rights of Nigerians living in the country will be closely watched.
The post UK visa approval for Nigerians hits record high of 430,000 appeared first on Latest Nigeria News | Top Stories from TVN.
Hardship: Tinubu not in touch with what’s happening in Nigeria – Obedient elders
The Delta Obedient Elders’ Council has criticised President Bola Tinubu’s recent speech to Nigerians, suggesting that it demonstrates a disconnection from the country’s current realities.
In a statement released on Wednesday, Chairman Chris Biose and Secretary Solomon Akeni responded to the ongoing #EndBadGovernance protests across the country.
The council expressed disappointment that the President’s address failed to address key issues affecting the masses.
The statement urged President Tinubu to move beyond grandstanding and tackle the pressing issues facing the country.
It also lamented the violence, looting, and destruction of public facilities that have marred some of the protests.
“The President acknowledged the severe suffering of the masses but failed to present any fresh policy measures to address the demands of the protesters,” the statement read.
The council expressed shock at President Tinubu’s omission of crucial issues, including the widespread killings of farmers by armed Fulani herdsmen, which has severely impacted food production in the country.
“It is unreasonable to believe that he does not know that this phenomenon is at the root of the inability of Nigerian farmers to produce sufficient food for local consumption in the past few years,” the statement continued.
The council also criticized the administration for perceived lack of accountability and excessive expenditure on frivolous items while the majority of Nigerians are suffering from intense hunger. Additionally, they noted the president’s silence on issues such as oil theft and the brutal killings of Nigerian citizens by police officers.
The Delta Obedient Elders’ Council called for a more responsive and accountable approach from the President to address the country’s pressing issues.
Hardship: Tinubu not in touch with what’s happening in Nigeria – Obedient elders
NLC questions Nigeria’s democracy, as security forces storm Labour House in might-time raid
The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has provided details about the nighttime raid on its headquarters, the Labour House in Abuja, by armed security personnel on Wednesday.
In a statement, the NLC also called for an international investigation into the distressing incident.
Benson Upah, the NLC’s Head of Media and Public Relations, said, “We have directed all our staff to stay away from the Labour House for now until we are certain that there are no incriminating materials or harmful substances left in our offices by the invading operatives.”
The NLC urged the international community to recognize the worsening state of democratic principles in Nigeria, which it claims is veering towards a police state.
The statement describes the incident: “Last night at approximately 8:30 pm, after business hours, a group of heavily armed security operatives raided the Labour House, Central Business District, Abuja, which serves as the National Headquarters of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC).”
Read also: Press centre, police launch probe into attacks on journalists during hunger protests in Lagos
The NLC report continues: “The security team included members of the Nigeria Police Force, individuals in black t-shirts, presumably from the Department of State Services (DSS), and others in plain clothes. They targeted the 10th floor, where they arrested the on-duty security guard and forced him to take them to the second floor to retrieve office keys. When the guard said he did not have the keys, they broke into the office, ransacked the bookshop on the second floor, and seized hundreds of books and publications, claiming they were searching for seditious materials related to the #EndBadGovernance protests.”
The NLC condemned the raid as a new low in Nigerian security operations. “The armed operatives displayed no legal documents authorizing their invasion of the NLC premises at such an unseemly hour. Even during the harshest periods of military rule, NLC offices were never subjected to such invasions. This is a disheartening day for our democracy.”
Earlier in the day, the NLC’s National Executive Council (NEC) had condemned the violent suppression of protesters and the mass arrests of protest leaders. The NEC had also criticized the misuse of the term ‘treason’ in describing the protests. The NLC was unprepared for the subsequent raid by masked, heavily armed security personnel.
In light of these developments and their implications for democratic rights, freedom of speech, and peaceful protest, the NLC has called for international attention to Nigeria’s deteriorating democratic principles.
The NLC expressed its concerns about state-enforced brutality, recalling recent threats to its leadership. “We fear the situation may worsen.”
The NLC has directed its staff to avoid the Labour House until it is confirmed that no incriminating or harmful materials have been left behind. It has demanded an international inquiry into the invasion and the immediate withdrawal of security forces from the premises. Furthermore, it has called for the return of all seized materials by the end of work on August 8, 2024.
“If this harassment persists, the NLC will not hesitate to instruct its members to stay home until their safety is guaranteed,” the statement warns. “The suppression of public discourse and avenues for constructive engagement in the face of Nigeria’s current hardships will only exacerbate the situation. Prompt action could still prevent further deterioration.”
The post NLC questions Nigeria’s democracy, as security forces storm Labour House in might-time raid appeared first on Latest Nigeria News | Top Stories from TVN.