Home Blog Page 492

Federation explains why Nigerian cyclist used a borrowed bike at Olympics

0

The Nigeria Cycling Federation (NCF) has clarified that Ese Ukpeseraye, the country’s sole cyclist at the ongoing Paris 2024 Olympic Games, was not initially registered to compete in the track events.
Reports went viral after Ukpeseraye posted on her X account that she participated in the keirin event using a bicycle borrowed from the German team.
In response to these reports on Thursday, CFN President Giadomenico Massari explained that the federation had to borrow a bicycle from its partners because they did not bring one to this year’s Olympics.
Massari clarified that Ukpeseraye originally qualified only for the Road Race and traveled to Paris with the necessary equipment for that event.
However, Nigeria was later invited to replace Egypt in the keirin and individual sprint events after an Egyptian track athlete was disqualified.
Read Also: D’Tigress bow out of Olympics after valiant effort against USA
He noted that track events require specialized equipment, approved specifically for the Olympics, which typically takes months to be delivered.
Thanks to their equipment sponsor, the NCF managed to secure the bike for the competition.
Massari further explained that the German team, in partnership with their supporters and sponsors, facilitated the arrangement to ensure Ukpeseraye could compete.
“Our track bikes, which have been used in world championships, are not approved for Olympic use. We only received all the necessary approvals from the UCI (cycling world body) and the IOC yesterday.”
He confirmed that Ukpeseraye was able to train and compete in the keirin event and will participate in the individual sprint Friday.
The post Federation explains why Nigerian cyclist used a borrowed bike at Olympics appeared first on Latest Nigeria News | Top Stories from TVN.

Nigeria records 7 new Lassa fever cases in three states

0

The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (NCDC) has confirmed seven additional Lassa fever cases in three states in the country.
The NCDC said on its website on Friday that the cases were recorded between July 22 and July 28 in Bauchi, Edo, and Kogi States.
According to the agency, four cases were reported in Bauchi, two in Edo, and one in Kogi during the period.
It added that 163 deaths have been reported in Nigeria this year with a Case Fatality Rate (CFR) of 17.0 percent.
This was however lower than the 17.3 percent recorded during the same period in 2023.
The report read: “66 percent of confirmed cases in 2024 were from Ondo, Edo, and Bauchi while 34 percent were reported from 25 states.
“In total for 2024, 28 states recorded at least one confirmed case of Lassa fever across 125 local government areas.”
The post Nigeria records 7 new Lassa fever cases in three states appeared first on Latest Nigeria News | Top Stories from TVN.

West African defence chiefs push for Burkina Faso, Mali and Niger’s return to ECOWAS

0

West African defence chiefs on Friday demanded the return of Burkina Faso, Mali and Niger Republic to the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS).
Nigeria’s Chief of Defence Staff, Gen. Christopher Musa, made the call when he led other ECOWAS defence chiefs on a visit to the National Counter-Terrorism Centre (NCTC) on Friday in Abuja.
Musa said the return of the three countries to the regional bloc was necessary to address the insecurity across the sub-region.
He said that efforts were ongoing to ensure that the three countries to ECOWAS.
The three countries currently under the control of military juntas left the regional bloc last year in protest of West African leaders’ handling of the military coup in Niger Republic.
Musa said: “For us, we feel without security, there can’t be progress and the threats we are facing, especially on insurgency, are high.
“We think it is very important that we need to partner together to achieve success. No country can do it alone, and that’s why it’s important.
“We know we have three countries that have decided to step aside.
“We are making all efforts to ensure that they come back to the fold because we know even they, on their own, cannot withstand this.
“We know the relevance that if they fall, it will also drag us down and that is why it is important for us as West Africans to continue to work together.”
The post West African defence chiefs push for Burkina Faso, Mali and Niger’s return to ECOWAS appeared first on Latest Nigeria News | Top Stories from TVN.

Gunmen attack policemen in Nnewi, kill one

0

Gunmen operating in Nnewi, Anambra State, on Friday, attacked a police van, killing one of the policemen at a junction.
Sources said the incident happened at about 9 am, and that the attackers when repelled by the policemen threw an improvised explosive device at the police team.
Police command in the state confirmed this in a press release by the state police command’s spokesperson, SP Tochukwu Ikenga.
Ikenga said the Commissioner of Police, CP Nnaghe Obono Itam has ordered a manhunt operations on the gunmen.
He confirmed that the men were attacked at a checkpoint at Omata junction, in Uruagu community, along the Nnewi Oba road.
He said: “The manhunt operation led by Assistant Commissioner in charge of Nnewi Area Command is already working with the locals in the area to unmask and apprehend the attackers.”
Gunmen attack policemen in Nnewi, kill one

Oil Probe: Abbas appoints new reps committee

0

The Speaker of the House of Representatives, Abbas Tajudeen, has established a seven-member panel to participate in the joint committee tasked with investigating alleged economic sabotage in the petroleum and gas sector.
This development comes after the recent dissolution of the ad-hoc committee previously assembled by the House to probe alleged misconduct in the petroleum and gas industry.
According to a statement by the House Spokesperson, Akin Rotimi Jr. the appointed members include the House Leader, Prof Julius Ihonvbere, who will act as the co-chairman of the committee.
Other members of the committee include Iduma Ighariwey, Gboyega N. Isiaka, Sada Soli, Fatima Talba, Tunji Raheem and Patrick Umoh, PhD.
The statement reads, “The urgency and importance of this matter have necessitated close collaboration between the Senate and the House of Representatives.
“This new structure aims to ensure synergy, a holistic approach to addressing the issues, and ease of administrative coordination, resulting in a harmonized and efficient investigation.
“The Committee is expected to commence its duties immediately, with a clear mandate to ensure accountability and transparency in the sector”.
Oil Probe: Abbas appoints new reps committee

PDP appoints Oyinlola to head 25-member reconciliation committee

0

The Peoples Democratic Party has appointed former Osun State governor, Olagunsoye Oyinlola, as the chairman of the 25-member National Reconciliation Committee.

Former Gombe State governor, Senator Ibrahim Dankwambo, has been appointed as the secretary of the committee.

The PDP has been grappling with internal discord since last year’s general elections, where they were defeated by the ruling All Progressives Congress.

In a statement issued on Friday by National Publicity Secretary, Debo Ologunagba, the PDP announced that the inauguration of the newly formed reconciliation committee will take place at a later date.

Ologunagba explained that the National Working Committee took this action after receiving approval from the National Executive Committee for the PDP NEC’s constitution.

The statement also noted that Chief Anicho Okoro has been appointed as the committee’s Administrative Secretary.

Other members of the committee include Chibudom Nwuche, Alhaji Bello Tafidan Gusau, Senator Ben Ndi Obi, Senator Tunde Ogbeha, Senator Shuaibu Isa Lau, Dr. Esther Uduehi, Senator Zainab Kure, Kabiru Tanimu Turaki, Alhaja Mutia Olayinka Ladoja, Dr. Abimbola Ogunkelu, and Ude Oko-Chukwu.

Also included are Dr. Boyelayefa Debekem, Chief Emmanuel Ogidi, Dr. Eddy Olafeso, Chief Dan Ulasi, Abdulsamad Dasuki, Segun Showunmi, Amina B.B. Faruk, Alhaji Hamza Akuyan Koshe, Mike Ikoku, Oloye Jumoke Akinjide, and Bisi Fakayode.

The statement read in part, “The committee will be inaugurated on a date to be communicated in due course.

“The NWC charges all leaders, critical stakeholders, and teeming members of the PDP to remain focused and committed to the vision, principles, and aspirations of our great party in the overall interest of the growth, development, and stability of the PDP and the nation.”

ECOWAS defence chiefs move to return Mali, Burkina Faso, Niger

0

The Chiefs of Defence Staff in West Africa on Friday, called for the return of Mali, Niger and Burkina Faso to the Economic Community of West African States, ECOWAS.
Nigeria’s Chief of Defence Staff, Gen Christopher Musa, made the call when he led other ECOWAS defence chiefs on a Friday visit to the National Counter-Terrorism Centre, NCTC, in Abuja.
Musa, the Chairman of the ECOWAS Committee of Defence Chiefs, said the return of the three countries to the regional bloc was necessary to defeat the insecurity ravaging the region, especially insurgency.
He said that efforts were ongoing on their part to ensure that the three countries were back, adding that all hands must be on deck to curtail insecurity in West Africa.
“For us, we feel without security, there can’t be progress and the threats we are facing, especially on insurgency, are high.
“We think it is very important that we need to partner together to achieve success. No country can do it alone, and that’s why it’s important.
“We know we have three countries that have decided to step aside.
“We are making all efforts to ensure that they come back to the fold because we know even they, on their own, cannot withstand this.
“We know the relevance that if they fall, it will also drag us down and that is why it is important for us as West Africans to continue to work together,’’ he said.
The CDS appreciated the National Coordinator of NCTC, Maj.-Gen. Adamu Laka, for doing a wonderful job in the nation’s counter-terrorism efforts.
ECOWAS defence chiefs move to return Mali, Burkina Faso, Niger

Anyaoku group asks Tinubu to form drafting committee for new constitution

0

A group of eminent individuals in Nigeria, “The Patriots” on Friday asked President Bola Tinubu to convene a national constituent assembly to produce a new constitution for the country.
The group is led by a former Secretary-General of the Commonwealth, Chief Emeka Anyaoku.
Anyaoku, who addressed State House correspondents at the end of a meeting with the president in Abuja, said the constituent assembly would comprise three individuals from each state to be elected by the people on a non-party basis.
He said the formation of the constituent assembly was one of the proposals put forward during the meeting with President Tinubu.
Anyaoku said: “We put some proposals to Mr. President and urged him to send a president’s executive bill to the National Assembly, a bill that will call for two essential measures.
“One the convening of a National Constituent Assembly to be mandated to produce a new draft constitution. We also suggested that such a National Constituent Assembly should consist of individuals elected by the people on a non-party basis.
“Say, for example, three individuals per state, per each of the 36 states and one from the Federal Capital Territory and they should be mandated to produce a new draft constitution.
“We also suggested that in the bill, the National Assembly should be asked to legislate for a national referendum because as our laws stand at the moment, we have no provision for a national referendum.
“We concluded by saying that the draft constitution to emerge from the constituent assembly should be subjected to the national referendum to give the people of Nigeria a chance to determine the new constitution.
“We also talked about the current crisis of protests throughout the country. And we advised the President that in our view, the government at the federal and state levels should dialogue with the leaders of the protests.”
Many prominent Nigerians had in the past demanded a new constitution for the country because of the inherent flaws in the 1999 constitution.
The post Anyaoku group asks Tinubu to form drafting committee for new constitution appeared first on Latest Nigeria News | Top Stories from TVN.

Shettima welcomes MTN’s N1bn donation to food support programme

0

Vice President Kashim Shettima on Friday welcomed the donation of N1 billion to the Federal Government’s Food Support Programme and 4,600 units of digital devices for distribution to schools by telecommunications giant, MTN Nigeria.

Shettima said MTN’s gesture in support of the FG’s efforts to address hardship in the country is worthy of emulation and indicates its commitment to the development of the Nigerian economy.

“I am hugely proud of your (MTN’s) stability as a company and commitment to the progress of our country,” Shettima told the Chairman of MTN Nigeria, Mr. Ernest Ndukwe, who paid him a courtesy visit at the Presidential Villa, Abuja, on Friday.

The Senior Special Assistant to the Vice President on Media and Communications, Mr Stanley Nkwocha, revealed details of the meeting in a statement signed Friday titled, ‘VP Shettima seeks more support as MTN donates N1bn, 4600 digital devices.’

Shettima promised that the Federal Ministry of Industry, Trade and Investment and the Office of the National Security Adviser would manage the donation judiciously.

The VP said the MTN team would liaise with his office to develop the beneficiary criteria and facilitate the distribution of 4,600 digital devices, each pre-installed with the U-lesson application, to secondary schools in the six geopolitical zones.

He expressed confidence that the company’s gesture would go a long way in supporting the government’s efforts to address the situation in the country, including support for the educational needs of the poor and vulnerable.

While calling on other companies in the country to emulate MTN in Corporate Social Responsibility, the VP assured the business community that the President Bola Tinubu administration remains pro-business and that its policies will soon begin to manifest for all to see.

“We have witnessed a couple of changes in the industry, but you have remained stable and strong. On behalf of my boss, President Bola Tinubu, I want to sincerely thank you for this gesture,” Shettima concluded.

Earlier in his remarks, the Chairman of MTN Nigeria commended the Federal Government for its efforts to revive the economic fortunes of the country through various initiatives rolled out across Ministries, Departments, and Agencies of government.

Ndukwe pledged the company’s support to the present administration, noting that the gesture is in line with MTN Nigeria’s shared value objectives of ‘the AMBITION 2025 strategy’, where MTN seeks to support strategic initiatives of the federal government.

He said the N1bn donation “aims to support the most vulnerable, marginalised, and underserved communities, ensuring no one is left behind through increased collaboration and partnership with the Federal Government of Nigeria.”

He also expressed hope that the devices donated by the company will support the FG’s objective to increase digital literacy in secondary schools and improve creativity, analytical thinking, adaptability, and students’ access to current information in science and technology.

England appoints Lee Carsley Three Lions interim manager

0

Lee Carsley, the current England under-21 manager, will temporarily take charge of the men’s senior team, the English Football Association has announced.

The news was revealed in a Friday statement on the FA’s website titled “Lee Carsley appointed as England men’s interim head coach.

Also, England, #England posted, “Lee Carsley has been appointed interim head coach of the #ThreeLions ahead of the start of our #NationsLeague campaign.”

Gareth Southgate stepped down as England boss after eight years in charge in the aftermath of losing the Euro 2024 final to Spain last month.

Carsley would now follow Southgate’s path by graduating from the under-21 setup into the senior role.

It read, “Lee Carsley has been appointed interim head coach of England senior men ahead of the start of the 2024-25 UEFA Nations League campaign.

“Carsley will step up from his role in charge of the MU21s, initially for September’s fixtures away to Republic of Ireland and at home to Finland, but with a view to remaining in the position throughout autumn while the FA’s recruitment process for a new permanent head coach continues.

“The 50-year-old has been MU21 head coach since July 2021 and last year led the Young Lions to a first UEFA U21 European Championship since 1984. Prior to that, Carsley held various coaching roles across England’s development teams and was briefly in charge of the MU20s.”

The new coach will oversee Nations League fixtures against the Republic of Ireland and Finland in September and could remain in the role for longer depending on how quickly the FA finalise their search for Southgate’s successor.

“Carsley will step up from his role in charge of the MU21s (men’s under-21s) initially for September’s fixtures away to Republic of Ireland and at home to Finland,” the FA said in the statement.

“But with a view to remaining in the position throughout autumn while the FA’s recruitment process for a new permanent head coach continues.”

Carsley won 40 caps for the Republic of Ireland as a player and made over 300 Premier League appearances with Blackburn, Coventry, Everton and Birmingham.

In 2023 he led England to a first win at the under-21 Euros since 1984 and is familiar with a number of the current senior squad due to various coaching roles across the FA’s development teams.

However, he lacks senior managerial experience apart from short caretaker spells at Brentford and Birmingham.

“It’s an honour to step up and lead this England squad on an interim basis,” said Carsley.

“As I am very familiar with the players and the cycle of international football, it makes sense for me to guide the team while the FA continues the process of recruiting a new manager.

“My main priority is to ensure continuity and our goal is to secure promotion in the UEFA Nations League.”

According to the statement, he was involved in the last three major tournaments by supporting the wider technical team at UEFA EURO 2020, the 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar and UEFA EURO 2024 in Germany.

Carsley also has extensive experience at club level having worked closely with the first teams at Coventry City, Sheffield United, Brentford, Manchester City and Birmingham City.

Mark Bullingham, FA CEO, said, “Lee is a fantastic coach who is well known to the majority of our current senior squad having worked with most at international or club level. He offers us a very strong interim solution and we are confident he will perform well in the UEFA Nations League games ahead. We are grateful to Lee for stepping up to manage the team while we continue with our recruitment process.”

In Carsley’s absence, Ben Futcher will take charge of the MU21s for September’s forthcoming 2025 U21 EURO qualifiers, with respective backroom teams for both squads to be confirmed in due course.

England are in UEFA Nations League B Group 2 alongside Finland (September 10), Greece and Republic of Ireland.