Home Blog Page 442

Businessman abducted by gunmen in his Kwara clinic

0

The Kwara State Police Command has confirmed the abduction of a businessman, Emeka Nwachukwu, from his clinic in Kosubosu, the headquarters of Baruten Local Government Area of Kwara State, by gunmen suspected to be kidnappers on Wednesday night.

Emeka was abducted at around 8:30 pm by gunmen who invaded his clinic on the outskirts of Kosubosu and took him to an unknown location.

According to Online gathered that the abductors contacted Emeka’s family on Thursday morning, demanding a ransom of N100 million for his release.

It was further reported that the victim’s family had been negotiating with the kidnappers.

Responding to reporters’ inquiries on Thursday, the Police Public Relations Officer in Kwara State, Ejire-Adeyemi Toun, confirmed the incident.

Ejire-Adeyemi said, “The Kwara State Police Command is aware of the unfortunate kidnapping incident that occurred on 11th September 2024 at 8:30 p.m.

“It was reported that Mr Emeka C. Nwachukwu was kidnapped from his clinic on the outskirts of Kosubosu town. He was taken to an unknown location. The Police, along with local vigilantes, have intensified efforts to rescue the victim unharmed.”

Ejire-Adeyemi added that updates on the rescue operation will be communicated as progress is made.

All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from According to.

Contact: [email protected]

N90,000 water pumping machine theft case adjourned in Ekiti

0

An Ekiti State Chief Magistrate Court, Ado Ekiti District, has granted bail to a 22-year-old man, Salaudeen Hassan, in the case of alleged stealing and breach of peace that he is standing trial over

The Ekiti State Police Command had on Wednesday arraigned Hassan before the court for allegedly stealing a N90,000 water pumping machine.

The police prosecutor, Inspector Bamikole Olasunkanmi, alleged in court that the defendant, on September 5 at about 1pm in the Omisanjana area, in Ado Ekiti, conspired with another to commit the offence.

Olasunkanmi noted that “the defendant and two others at large, on the same date, time, and place, did steal a water pumping machine valued at N90,000.000, property of one Adeosun Yemisi.

“The defendant did conduct himself in a manner likely to cause a breach of peace.

“The offence committed is punishable under Section 421, 302, 181(d) Laws of Ekiti State of Nigeria 2021,” the prosecutor said.

Counsel to the defendant, Timothy Omotoso, urged the court to grant his client bail, saying he would not jump bail.

The Chief Magistrate, Mr Saka Afunso, granted the defendant bail of N25,000 with one surety in like sum.

He adjourned the matter to October 22 for a hearing.

All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from According to.

Contact: [email protected]

21 travellers die in Kaduna highway crash

0

A devastating road accident occurred on the Abuja-Kaduna expressway on Thursday, claiming the lives of 21 travellers. 

The tragic incident involved a trailer truck and a passenger Hummer bus heading to Kano and Batsari town in Katsina state.

According to an eyewitness, the accident happened near a route diversion, where all motorists were forced to drive on a single lane. 

He said the driver of the articulated vehicle fled the scene, leaving behind his vehicle and another container truck, which blocked the busy highway.

He noted that the accident took place close to a route diversion that forced all motorists from the two opposite directions to drive on single lane.

An official of the Federal Road Safety Commission, who wished to remain anonymous, reported that “Three passengers survived the accident and were rushed to Umaru Musa Memorial Hospital in Sabon-Wuse town for medical attention. The remains of the victims were deposited at the hospital’s morgue.”

“The accident is a wake-up call for all of us to be more careful on the road,” said a motorist who witnessed the accident. “We need to exercise caution and patience while plying the route.”

The FRSC and police authorities have yet to confirm the incident. 

The Divisional Police Officer in charge of Tafa Division, Kagarko LG of Kaduna State, Idris Ibrahim, was said to be compiling a report on the incident.

Our correspondent gathered that the tragic accident has caused a significant buildup of traffic on the expressway, with motorists stranded for hours. 

The incident highlights the need for improved road safety measures and enforcement to prevent such tragedies.

The authorities urged motorists to exercise caution and patience while plying the route, as efforts are being made to clear the wreckage and restore normal traffic flow.

All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from According to.

Contact: [email protected]

Ogun police arrest four suspected cultists

0

The Ogun State Police Command has arrested four suspected members of the Aye Confraternity in the Ijoko area of Sango-Ota.

The arrested suspects, identified as Olanide Balogun, Olamilekan Oyedele, Adeolu Olayinka and Abdulganiyu Azeez, were apprehended around 3:00 pm.

The spokesperson for the state police command, Omolola Odutola, made this known to According to Online on Thursday.

Before their arrest on Wednesday, According to Online reported that the suspects had been terrorising residents of the Ijoko community and its surroundings.

She said, “The police received a tip that the suspects had been spotted in specific areas of Ijoko. The Divisional Police Officer of Sango-Ota led a team to raid the location. Upon seeing the police operatives, the suspects scattered in different directions.

“The DPO immediately pursued the criminals, catching up with one of them. The others were later apprehended with the help of the first suspect, who had been arrested.

“Their method of operation involves breaking car windows and attacking innocent road users during traffic jams.”

She stated that the State Criminal Investigation Department would receive the suspects for additional investigation.

According to Online reported that Abiodun Salami and Destiny Adeola were arrested in August on suspicion of involvement in cult-related activities within the same community.

The suspects, along with other members of the Eye Confraternity, had assembled at a location in Ijoko before being arrested by officers from the Sango-Ota division.

All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from According to.

Contact: [email protected]

Husband dismembers, blends 38-year-old model with blender

0

A former Miss Switzerland finalist, Kristina Joksimovic, has been allegedly dismembered by her 41-year-old husband.

The 38-year-old model was said to have been strangled and dismembered by her husband using a jigsaw and garden shears.

After she was dismembered, her remains were allegedly pureed in a blender by her husband, according to the Daily Mail.

The couple married in 2017 and lived in a ‘spacious semi-detached house’ in an affluent area of Basel. They had two children.

Kristina’s body was found in February in Binningen, near Basel, Switzerland.

Kristina had posted pictures of a ‘couple’s getaway’ on her Instagram account four weeks before her death.

Kristiana and husband

Her husband, identified only by the pseudonym Thomas in local media, had his appeal for release from custody rejected on Thursday by the Federal Court in Lausanne after admitting to killing his wife.

An ongoing investigation has revealed ‘concrete indications of mental illness’ underlying the case.

Kristina’s husband is reported to have claimed he killed her in self-defence after she allegedly came at him with a knife, before later admitting he dismembered the former model.

Kristina’s body was found on the evening of February 13.

Investigators determined she had been strangled before dying.

The verdict states the suspect confessed to strangling his wife.

An autopsy concluded that the body was then dismembered in the laundry room with a jigsaw, knife, and garden shears.
Body parts were then chopped up with a hand blender, ‘pureed’, and dissolved in a chemical solution, local outlet Blick reported.

A medical-forensic report also ‘contradicts his description of self-defence’, according to Swiss outlet FM1 Today.

Thomas, a Swiss national, was reportedly arrested a day after her remains were found.

Investigators have said Thomas, a businessman, displayed a ‘conspicuously high level of criminal energy’ in their assessment.

They cited a ‘lack of empathy and cold-bloodedness after killing his wife’, and his efforts to cover up her death, adding that the defendant exhibited ‘sadistic-sociopathic traits’.

The deceased won the Miss Northwest Switzerland pageant in 2003 and was a finalist in the 2008 Miss Switzerland competition.

Police arrest driver for killing two Ondo students

0

The Ondo State Police Command on Thursday arrested a driver (whose identity has not been revealed) for killing two students from the Federal Polytechnic, Ile-Oluji.

The fatal accident occurred along the Akure-Ondo Expressway on Wednesday evening.

The victims, Chukwu Athanasius and Oladokun Oyindamola were on a motorcycle when they were hit by a speeding Toyota Camry. They died at the scene.

The Police Public Relations Officer, Mrs Funmilayo Odunlami, confirmed the arrest of the driver and stated that the suspect is now in police custody. The bodies of the deceased have been taken to a morgue.

She said, “The bodies of the victims have been deposited at the morgue, and the driver of the vehicle is now in police custody.”

All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from According to.

Contact: [email protected]

Fire guts Kogi phone market, property worth millions destroyed

0

Properties worth millions of naira have been destroyed following a fire outbreak at a GSM village around Kpata market in Lokoja the Kogi State capital.

Our correspondent gathered that the fire outbreak started in the early hours of Thursday due to a power upsurge.

It was further learnt that shop owners could not salvage anything from the fire after it got out of control.

One of the traders in the market, Muhammed Yahaya who lost his goods to the fire narrated the incident saying, “Somebody called me around 5:30 am today that the market is on fire. On getting there, many shops have already been burnt down. So we tried to look at the actual cause of the fire outbreak. From all indications so far, we were told by the people that stay within that the power voltage they brought was high.

“The neighbouring houses there said it affected their fans, light and other things. Actually, this might be the cause of the fire outbreak in the market. Millions of naira worth of goods have been destroyed. Laptops, phones and accessories got burnt. The most unfortunate thing is that most of these people just received their goods this week. It has never happened before. It is still a big shock to every one of us who owns shop in the market”.

He appealed to the Kogi State Government to intervene by assisting those who lost their goods financially and rebuilding the GSM village.

“We know we have a Governor that has a listening ear. He is a father to us. As you can see, we are Youths who are resourceful. Most of us are graduates, and we are not waiting for the Government to provide jobs for us. We created the jobs on our own.

“The properties that we have been nurturing for over 15 years got burnt within an hour. We want the government to look into it by assisting us financially and rebuilding the market. In this market, we have about 200 Youths who are engaged in this kind of business. People were hungry before this happened” he added.

Also Speaking to newsmen, the Financial Secretary, Kogi Association of Phones and Accessories Dealers, (KAPAD) Moses Felix said the incident has affected him physically, mentally and emotionally.

According to him,” I was crying this morning when my shop got burnt. I couldn’t do anything. I am into laptop repairs and sales. My goods that arrived this week got burnt completely, so am starting from scratch.

“I am a married Man with kids. Where do I go from here and how can I feed my family in the midst of this economic hardship? The Government should come to our aide. We provide jobs for people. I have like three boys that are working for me who are under my payroll. Definitely, they are going back home without job,” Felix lamented

As of the time of filing this report, fire service officials were making efforts to put out the fire.

Bandits block highway, abduct travellers in Zamfara 

0

Armed bandits have obstructed the busy Gusau–Funtua highway, kidnapping an unspecified number of travellers.

According to Channels Television, Yusuf Tsafe, a commuter stranded in the area, said that the bandits set up a roadblock at the Tazame axis early on Thursday.

Armed with about 50 motorcycles, each carrying three people, the bandits abducted several travellers and remained on the road for hours.

Tsafe described how the bandits began their operation around 7 am and continued until at least 9 am.

Despite military efforts to address the situation, the road remains blocked, and no vehicles have been allowed to pass. Another commuter confirmed that the Magazu–Kucheri Road, which links Gusau to Funtua, has also been blocked by the bandits.

“They entered the road around 7 am, and till around 9am, they were still there, we just parked by the roadside waiting for the military to clear the road, we are seeing the bandits taking people inside the bush.

“The military guntruck moved to the area earlier, we were just hearing gunshots, but they are yet to open the road. Till now, no vehicle has been allowed to pass.”

Another commuter also confirmed to Channels Television that Magazu – Kucheri Road, which is also the road linking Gusau to Funtua, have been blocked by bandits this morning

“The military men asked us to stop because the bandits blocked the road, we are still waiting for them to clear the road,” the source said.

Meanwhile, the spokesperson for the Zamfara State Police Command, ASP Yazid Abubakar, stated that additional troops, including operatives from the Nigerian Police Mobile Squad, have been deployed to clear the road.

Zamfara State, along with other regions in northwestern and central Nigeria, has been plagued by armed gangs carrying out mass abductions for ransom and engaging in widespread looting and destruction.

The people of Moriki town in the Zurmi Local Government Area of the state are in fear as the deadline given to them by notorious bandit kingpin, Bello Turji, to pay an imposed N30m levy expired, According to Online earlier reported.

But reacting to the development,  the Chief of Defence Staff, Gen. Christopher Musa, described the bandit kingpin as a deranged person, wowing that the military would soon capture him.

No fewer than three persons lost their lives in April when bandits invaded a market in Tsafe town.

In May 2024, bandits attacked no fewer than 50 communities in the Zurmi Local Government Area of the state.

49 dead, 226 communities destroyed in Kano flood

0

The Kano State Emergency Management Agency has confirmed that 49 people have been killed and 226 communities devastated by floods and windstorms across 27 Local Government Areas of the state from January 2024 to date.

The Executive Secretary of SEMA, Isyaku Abdullahi-Kubarachi, made this disclosure on Wednesday evening while briefing journalists in Kano.

He recalled that the Nigerian Meteorological Agency had earlier predicted a high risk of flooding in 14 local government areas of the state.

The affected areas include Tudun Wada, Gwale, Wudil, Danbatta, Ajingi, Dala, Gwarzo, Madobi, Bichi, Kano Municipal, Karaye, Tarauni, Minjibir, Bebeji, Rogo, Shanono, Kabo, Garin Malam, and Ungogo.

Others are Kumbotso, Nasarawa, Kura, Dawakin Kudu, Dawakin Tofa, Gezawa, Rogo, and Bagwai Local Government Areas.

Abdullahi-Kubarachi noted that the floods destroyed 6,583 houses, affecting 38,814 people.

“A total of 8,289 farmlands, equivalent to 36,265 hectares, were destroyed, while 1,414 people were displaced and 139 were injured,” the SEMA chief said.

He added that the agency had promptly responded by visiting the affected areas to sympathise with the victims on behalf of the Kano State Government and distributing relief materials to alleviate their suffering.

“SEMA, in collaboration with relevant stakeholders, organised several workshops to provide solutions for preventing environmental hazards, especially flooding.”

He praised Governor Abba Yusuf for providing logistics and other necessary assistance to ease the suffering of the victims.

The Executive Secretary also warned against building on waterways and urged residents to clear the drainages in front of their homes to prevent flooding.

He called on wealthy individuals to complement the agency’s efforts by supporting flood victims with relief materials.

Additionally, he assured the public that the agency would continue its efforts to ensure the protection of lives and property.

17-year-old boy found dead, buried in shallow grave in Lagos apartment

0

A 17-year-old boy, Adeolu Olubade, was found dead and buried in a shallow grave inside an apartment on Jesus Assembly Omoguwa Street in the Ejigbo area of Lagos State.

According to Online learnt that an unnamed 30-year-old suspect had been arrested in connection with the crime.

The spokesperson for the state police command, Benjamin Hundeyin, confirmed this to According to Online on Thursday.

Our correspondent learnt that the crime was believed to have occurred between 4:00 pm and 7:00 pm on September 2, 2024.

Hundeyin said the grieving family identified the 30-year-old suspect as being responsible for the heinous crime.

He said, “On September 3, 2024, at about 8:00 am, a family member of the deceased approached and reported at the station that his 17-year-old cousin was discovered dead and buried in one of the rooms at Jesus Assembly Street, Omoguwa Street, Ejigbo.

“They suspected the crime was carried by a 30-year-old suspect of the same address between 4:00 pm and 7:00 pm. Based on this report, a team of detectives was dispatched to the crime scene and took photographs of the shallow grave before the corpse was exhumed.

“The body has been taken to the Isolo General Hospital for postmortem examination. The suspect mentioned has been apprehended, and the shovel suspected to have been used to bury the victim has been recovered, taken to the station, and registered as an exhibit.”

The command spokesperson added that the suspect would be transferred to the State Criminal Investigation Unit at Alagbon for further investigation.

All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from According to.

Contact: [email protected]