Home Blog Page 2330

Lekki Shootings: CNN in ‘panic’ after our protest letter – Lai Mohammed

0

Minister of Information and Culture Lai Mohammed says that the letter the Federal Government wrote to CNN over its report of the October 20 incident involving #EndSARS protesters at Lekki, Lagos has left the network in “panic”.

CNN had insisted the military fired live bullets at protesters.

It also aired a second report after the Nigerian government’s letter to its headquarters in the United States.

Speaking in Abuja during a stakeholders meeting with members of Broadcasting Organisation of Nigeria (BON), Mohammed stressed the need for broadcast stations to adhere strictly to the gate-keeping tradition instead of rushing to use materials that are not authenticated.

He said: “Since we sent our letter, CNN has been grasping at straws in desperation, to justify its inaccurate and unbalanced investigation.”

Speaking further, the minister said: “This is very unambiguous and CNN is exhibiting panic by seeking to clarify its tweet some 35 days later.

“Instead of engaging in such panic, CNN should come clean by admitting that it goofed badly on the Lekki toll gate incident.”

Top Iranian nuclear scientist assassinated

0

An Iranian scientist that Israel alleged led the Islamic Republic’s military nuclear program until its disbanding in the early 2000s was killed in a targeted attack that saw gunmen use explosives and machine gun fire Friday, state television said.

Iran’s foreign minister alleged the killing of Mohsen Fakhrizadeh bore “serious indications” of an Israeli role, but did not elaborate. Israel declined to immediately comment, though Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu once called out Fakhrizadeh in a news conference saying: “Remember that name.” Israel has long been suspected of carrying out a series of targeted killings of Iranian nuclear scientists nearly a decade ago.

The killing risked further raising tensions across the Mideast, as just a year ago Iran and the U.S. stood on the brink of war. It comes just as President-elect Joe Biden stands poised to be inaugurated in January and likely complicates his efforts to return America to the Iran nuclear deal.

State TV said Fakhrizadeh was attacked by “armed terrorist elements.” He died at a local hospital after doctors and paramedics couldn’t revive him.

The semiofficial Fars news agency, believed to be close to the country’s Revolutionary Guard, said the attack happened in Absard, a small city just east of the capital, Tehran. It said witnesses heard the sound of an explosion and then machine gun fire. The attack targeted a car that Fakhrizadeh was in, the agency said.

Others wounded, including Fakhrizadeh’s bodyguards, also were taken to a local hospital, the agency said.

State television on its website later published a photograph of security forces blocking off the road. Photos and video shared online showed a Nissan sedan with bullet holes in the windshield and blood pooled on the road.

No group immediately claimed responsibility for the attack. However, Iranian media noted the interest that Netanyahu had previously shown in Fakhrizadeh. Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif on Twitter also pointed a finger at Israel, calling the killing an act of “state terror.”

“Terrorists murdered an eminent Iranian scientist today. This cowardice—with serious indications of Israeli role—shows desperate warmongering of perpetrators,” Zarif wrote on Twitter.

Hossein Salami, chief commander of the paramilitary Guard, appeared to acknowledge the attack on Fakhrizadeh.

“Assassinating nuclear scientists is the most violent confrontation to prevent us from reaching modern science,” Salami tweeted.

Hossein Dehghan, an adviser to Iran’s supreme leader and a presidential candidate in Iran’s 2021 election, issued a warning on Twitter.

“In the last days of their gambling ally’s political life, the Zionists seek to intensify and increase pressure on Iran to wage a full-blown war,” Dehghan wrote, appearing to refer to U.S. President Donald Trump. “We will descend like lightning on the killers of this oppressed martyr and we will make them regret their actions!”

The killing comes just days before the 10-year anniversary of the killing of Iranian nuclear scientist Majid Shahriari, which Tehran also blamed on Israel. Those targeted killings came alongside the so-called Stuxnet virus, believed to be an Israeli and American creation, that destroyed Iranian centrifuges.

ADVERTISEMENT

The area around Absard is filled with vacation villas for the Iranian elite with a view of Mount Damavand, the highest peak in the country. Roads on Friday, part of the Iranian weekend, were emptier than normal due to a lockdown over the coronavirus pandemic, offering his attackers a chance to strike with fewer people around.

Fakhrizadeh led Iran’s so-called “Amad,” or “Hope” program. Israel and the West have alleged it was a military operation looking at the feasibility of building a nuclear weapon in Iran. Tehran long has maintained its nuclear program is peaceful.

The International Atomic Energy Agency says Iran “carried out activities relevant to the development of a nuclear explosive device” in a “structured program” through the end of 2003. That was the Amad program, which included work on the carefully timed high explosives needed to detonate a nuclear bomb.

Iran also “conducted computer modeling of a nuclear explosive device” before 2005 and between 2005 and 2009, the IAEA has said. The agency said, however, that those calculations were “incomplete and fragmented.”

IAEA inspectors now monitor Iranian nuclear sites as part of Iran’s now-unraveling nuclear deal with world powers.

Netanyahu in 2018 gave a presentation in which he unveiled what he described as material stolen by Israel from an Iranian nuclear archive.

“A key part of the plan was to form new organizations to continue the work,” Netanyahu alleged in 2018. “This is how Dr. Mohsen Fakhrizadeh, head of Project Amad, put it. Remember that name, Fakhrizadeh.”

Matawalle: PDP governor commends Umahi for joining APC, laments ‘bad blood’ in opposition

0

The Zamfara State Governor, Bello Matawalle, has hailed the decision of his Ebonyi counterpart, David Umahi, to join the All Progressives Congress (APC).

Mr Matawalle attributed Mr Umahi’s decamping to “bad blood in the present Peoples Democratic Party”.

The Zamfara governor, who is a member of the PDP, stated this in a statement issued by his spokesperson, Zailani Bappa, on Friday.

Mr Matawalle said he would rather commend Mr Umahi for “his bold decision rather than condemn him because everyone feels welcome only in a house where he feels comfortable”.

“If this trend of generating bad blood amongst us continues unabated, our great party will increasingly be on the receiving end as we move towards the year 2023,” Governor Matawalle observed.

“I am having a very bad experience of recent from some of my PDP Governor colleagues which I still find very puzzling. For instance, the South-South Governors accusing me in the media are PDP Governors and they are the same people who brewed controversy over the so-called Zamfara Gold, premised on deliberate misinformation and outright lies,” Governor Matawalle said.

“Surprisingly, it is the APC Federal Government which has all the correct records on the gold mining issue that came out to defend me in this saga. As PDP colleagues, I expected the Governors to contact me first and find out my own side of the story before unleashing their venom in the media”, he said.

“As the brouhaha lasted, I commend the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, His Excellency Muhammadu Buhari for being supportive of our efforts to organise the economic sector in the state to avoid using the mineral deposits to promote insecurity in our dear state.

“Today, the Federal Government is issuing licences to deserving Companies to operate in the mining sector in the state. The biggest company with an investment of billions of naira is owned by a Nigerian from Anambra state. And I wonder where the idea of Zamfara state owning the gold mines emanated from. As at now, the state Government does not have a hand in any of the mining activity in the state because the constitution does not empower us to do so.

“I call on the South-South Governors to eschew intellectual idleness and support its people to operate modular refineries as provided by the law and lift their people out of fear rather than sit behind and start chasing shadows rather than substance,” Mr Matawalle challenged.

Matawalle commends Gov. Umahi “for his bold decision” to leave the PDP

0

Governor Bello Matawalle of Zamfara State has said that the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, is becoming hostile for its members, lamenting over his recent experience with his governor colleagues from the South-South region of the country.

Mr Matawalle, who made the lamentation in a statement on Friday by his media aide, Zailani Bappa, commended Governor David Umahi of Ebonyi State “for his bold decision” to leave the party.

According to the governor, the extent of bad blood in the PDP is partly responsible for Mr Umahi’s defection to the ruling All Progressives Congress, APC, saying “everyone feels welcome only in a house where he feels comfortable”.

He said: “If this trend of generating bad blood amongst us continues unabated, our great party will increasingly be on the receiving end as we move towards the election year, 2023.”

Speaking further, Mr Matawalle said: “I am having a very bad experience of recent from some of my PDP governor colleagues which I still find very puzzling.

“For instance, the South-South governors [who had been] accusing me in the media are PDP Governors.

“They are also the same people who brewed controversy over the so-called Zamfara gold, [which was] premised on deliberate misinformation and outright lies.

“Surprisingly, it is the APC Federal Government which has all the correct records on the gold mining issue that came out to defend me in this saga.

“As PDP colleagues, I expected the governors to contact me first and find out my own side of the story before unleashing their venom in the media,” Mr Matawalle posited.

“As the brouhaha lasted, I commended President Muhammadu Buhari for being supportive of our efforts to organise the economic sector in the state to avoid using the mineral deposits to promote insecurity in our dear state”

“Today, the Federal Government is issuing licences to deserving companies to operate in the mining sector in the state. The biggest company with an investment of billions of naira is owned by a Nigerian from Anambra state.

“And I wonder where the idea of Zamfara state owning the gold mines emanated from. As at now, the state Government does not have a hand in any of the mining activity in the state because the constitution does not empower us to do so,” Mr Matawalle noted.

The governor, therefore, called on the South-South governors “to eschew intellectual idleness and support its people to operate modular refineries as provided by the law and lift their people out of fear rather than sit behind and start chasing shadows rather than substance.”

Clearance Operations: Troops kill, arrest armed bandits in Benue and Nasarawa

0

In continuation of aggressive clearance operation to stamp out banditry and other criminal activities in the North Central zone of the country, troops of Operation WHIRL STROKE yesterday killed three armed bandits in Abaji general area of Katsina-Ala Local Government Area of Benue State.

According to the Coordinator, defence Media Operations Major General John Enenche, troops of Sectors 2 and 4 swiftly mobilized to the area to flush out the bandits following credible intelligence reports on the hideout of some notorious elements who were alleged to be terrorizing the general area.

“Troops made contact with armed bandits around Asogo village who on sighting troops opened fire on them and thereafter fled into the surrounding bushes. Troops promptly returned fire thereby killing 3 while one locally made pistol and 11 rounds of 7.62mm Special ammunition were recovered.

“In the same vein, still on same 26 November 2020, troops of Sector 3, carried out a dawn raid on the residence of some henchmen said to be behind recent clashes between herders and farmers at Atiyagiso community in Doma Local Government Area of Nasarawa State.

“During the operation, troops successfully apprehended 2 suspects namely Mr Abdulkareem and Mohammed Sani who confessed their involvement in the crime following which they were handed over to the police for further action.” He added.

General Enenche further assured that the Armed Forces of Nigeria and other security agencies will not relent until normalcy is restored to all troubled zones. He therefore called on members of the public to continue providing credible information to the troops operating within their localities.

See Faces of Suspected Bandits Arrested By Troops Of Operation Accord In Zamfara State

0

Troops of Operation ACCORD have intensified the onslaught against armed bandits in the North West zone with attendant successes. Following credible intelligence on movement of suspected bandits,  troops of Operation ACCORD on 26 November 2020 arrested 6 youths at Zurmi Local Government Area of Zamfara State.

According to the Coordinator Defence Media Operations Major General John Enenche, the suspects were claimed to have returned from Shinkafi Local Government Area.

“Preliminary investigation revealed that 2 of them were confirmed to be bandits while 2 others were suspected to be new recruits into the camp of a notorious bandit known as Turji.

“Further search of their phones showed pictures of suspects practicing weapon handling. The suspects confessed to be bandits as alleged. Currently the suspects are in custody for further action.

“Troops have continued to dominate the general area with aggressive patrols to deny bandits freedom of action. The general public is thus encouraged to continue to provide credible information to the troops operating within their localities.” He added.

Wife of Akeredolu’s Chief of Staff kidnapped

0

Wife of Olugbenga Ale, Chief of Staff to Ondo State Governor, Rotimi Akeredolu, has been reportedly kidnapped on Friday afternoon.

“She was abducted today around Owena. The location is inward Akure after Joseph Ayo Babalola University. That’s all I know for now”, a source said.

Akeredolu has visited Ale immediately after the news of the kidnap broke out to show solidarity and assured that m security agencies have swung into action.

The incident occurred 24 hours after the murder of Oba Adegoke Isreal Adeusi, the traditional ruler of Ifon in Ose Local Government Area.

The traditional ruler was on Thursday evening shot along Benin-Owo-Akure highway at Elegbeka of Ose Local Government.

The monarch was said to be returning to Ifon from Akure, the state capital, where he had gone to attend a meeting before running into the gunmen who had laid ambush on the highway.

Scores of armed bandits meet their waterloo as air raids destroy camps in Katsina

0

The Air Component of Operation HADARIN DAJI has recorded more successes against armed bandits in the North West of the Country with the obliteration of another camp and neutralization of scores of their fighters at Birnin Kogo Forest in Katsina State.

Air strikes executed by the Air Component equally resulted in the destruction of some structures at a camp in Dunya Forest also in Katsina State.

In a statement Friday, the coordinator Defence Media Operations Major  General John Enenche said the air raids were conducted on 23 and 24 November 2020 on the heels of impeccable intelligence reports indicating that the 2 camps, with their clusters of huts, were among the locations being used by the terrorists-affiliated armed bandits to store their sophisticated weapons and plan attacks.

Aerial surveillance missions also established pattern-of-life evidence of the presence of black attire-wearing terrorists at the 2 locations.

Consequently, the Air Component dispatched an appropriate force package of Nigerian Air Force (NAF) fighter jets and helicopter gunships, which engaged the 2 locations in successive passes, destroying portions of the camps, including their storage facilities, which were seen engulfed in flames. HUMINT sources later confirmed that no fewer than 37 bandits were neutralized at Dunya while many more were killed at Birnin Kogo.

Clearance Operations: Troops Kill Armed Bandits, Recover Arms and Arrest Suspected Bandits in Benue, Nasarawa States

0

In continuation of aggressive clearance operation to stamp out banditry and other criminal activities in the North Central zone of the country, troops of Operation WHIRL STROKE yesterday killed three armed bandits in Abaji general area of Katsina-Ala Local Government Area of Benue State.

According to the Coordinator, Defence Media Operations Major General John Enenche,   troops of Sectors 2 and 4 swiftly mobilized to the area to flush out the bandits following credible intelligence reports on the hideout of some notorious elements who were alleged to be terrorizing the general area.

“Troops made contact with armed bandits around Asogo village who on sighting troops opened fire on them and thereafter fled into the surrounding bushes. Troops promptly returned fire thereby killing 3 while one locally made pistol and 11 rounds of 7.62mm Special ammunition were recovered.

“In the same vein, still on same 26 November 2020, troops of Sector 3, carried out a dawn raid on the residence of some henchmen said to be behind recent clashes between herders and farmers at Atiyagiso community in Doma Local Government Area of Nasarawa State.

“During the operation, troops successfully apprehended 2 suspects namely Mr Abdulkareem and Mohammed Sani who confessed their involvement in the crime following which they were handed over to the police for further action.” He added.

General Enenche further assured that the Armed Forces of Nigeria and other security agencies will not relent until normalcy is restored to all troubled zones. He therefore called on members of the public to continue providing credible information to the troops operating within their localities.

 

Scores of Armed Bandits Meet Their Waterloo As Air Raids Destroy Camps In Katsina

0

The Air Component of Operation HADARIN DAJI has recorded more successes against armed bandits in the North West of the Country with the obliteration of another camp and neutralization of scores of their fighters at Birnin Kogo Forest in Katsina State.

Air strikes executed by the Air Component equally resulted in the destruction of some structures at a camp in Dunya Forest also in Katsina State.

In a statement Friday, the coordinator Defence Media Operations Major
General John Enenche said the air raids were conducted on 23 and 24 November 2020 on the heels of impeccable intelligence reports indicating that the 2 camps, with their clusters of huts, were among the locations being used by the terrorists-affiliated armed bandits to store their sophisticated weapons and plan attacks. Aerial surveillance missions also established pattern-of-life evidence of the presence of black attire-wearing terrorists at the 2 locations.

Consequently, the Air Component dispatched an appropriate force package of Nigerian Air Force (NAF) fighter jets and helicopter gunships, which engaged the 2 locations in successive passes, destroying portions of the camps, including their storage facilities, which were seen engulfed in flames. HUMINT sources later confirmed that no fewer than 37 bandits were neutralized at Dunya while many more were killed at Birnin Kogo.