Home Blog Page 2320

Zabarmari: Boko Haram losing grounds – Army

0

The Defence Headquarters has dismissed the claim by the Boko Haram terrorists that the recent massacre of rice farmers in Borno was retaliation for the arrest of one of them.

The Coordinator, Defence Media Operations, Maj.-Gen. John Enenche, said this while giving an update on the operations of the armed forces between November 26 and December 2 on Thursday in Abuja.

The terrorist group had on Tuesday released a video claiming that the terrorists carried out the massacre in retaliation for the arrest of one of them by the farmers.

They also claimed that the farmers had also given information on their movement in the area to the military.

Enenche said the claim was the practice of the sect with the sole motive of instigating fear in the minds of the people to discourage them from cooperating with the security agencies.

He said that the information received by the military from one of the survivors revealed that the farmers were called for a meeting with the terrorists on the sad day before they were slaughtered.

“The truth is that whenever they are losing ground as a result of the military activities, this is what they resort to.

“It is a fallacy because we killed one of them and that the farmers gave information about them, but the likelihood is wickedness.

“They want to use that to instill fear in the minds of the people because they have seen the governor trying to make sure that people return to their homes,” he said.

Enenche said the claim was the usual propaganda of the terrorist, adding that it is one of their major weapons.

“Our message here to the general public is that they should not be discouraged and that we are moving forward and with your cooperation, we are going to end this menace,” he said.

Enenche said the military had sustained its onslaught against the terrorists through both ground and air offensives across the theatre of operation.

He said the troops had raided some of the identified hideouts of the terrorists killing scores during the week and recovered a cache of arms and ammunition.

(NAN)

Akwa Ibom Govt cancels Christmas Carol over COVID-19

0

The Akwa Ibom Government has cancelled the hosting of this year’s annual Christmas Carol festival to curtail the spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19) in the state.

The cancellation was made known in a statement issued by the Commissioner for Culture and Tourism, Orman Esin, in Uyo on Thursday.

Mr Esin said this was due to the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic which he noted had hindered preparations for the festival, which usually takes about six months ahead.

He said in obedience to the WHO, NCDC and the State Government protocols on social distancing and the threat of a second wave of the virus, the festival had to be put on hold.

“The Government of Akwa Ibom State wishes to inform the general public that the 2020 Edition of the state’s award winning Christmas Carols festival has been cancelled.

“This development is hinged on the logistics challenge posed by the global lockdown and international travel restrictions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, in addition to the bourgeoning threat of a second wave of the virus.

“As expected of world class event of that magnitude, its preparation starts at least six months before the date.

“The global travel restrictions and closure of factories earlier in the year, made it impossible to commence the planning of this annual soul lifting spiritual event this year.

“The government deeply regrets this development and urges citizens to take personal responsibility, in addition to government restrictions, to prevent the transmission of the dreaded virus,” he said.

The last time the state government held the event was December 2012.

Court grants Maina’s lawyer’s request to withdraw from case

0

Adeola Adedipe, the lawyer standing for Abulrasheed Maina’s company Common Input Property and Investment Ltd in the money laundering case brought by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has been granted leave to withdraw from the case.

At the resumed trial on Thursday, Justice Okon Abang in a bench ruling granted the lawyer’s application to withdraw from the case on the ground that he is yet to be paid for his services and is unable to locate Mr. Maina who engaged him to represent the company listed as the second defendant in the case.

Maina, a former chairman of the defunct Pension Reform Task team, is being tried in absentia having jumped bail for alleged N2 billion fraud and money laundering offenses.

Senator Ali Ndume who stood as surety for Maina was remanded in prison by a court before he was granted bail on November 27.

Police say they have begun extradition process for Maina after arresting him earlier in the week in Niger Republic.

Ned Nwoko can marry more wives – Regina Daniels

0

Nollywood actress Regina Daniels has said her billionaire husband Ned Nwoko can marry as many wives as he wants.

Daniels said this in a tweet shortly after her Mr Nwoko said she was aware he could marry more wives.

“As a matter of fact, my husband Ned Nwoko can marry more wives. It has never been a problem,” she said.

In an Interview with BBC Igbo, Nwoko had said, “So whether I marry another wife or not; she knows it can happen. I come from a very polygamous environment. I love children so I want more children. She knows this and my other wives know it so we will see what happens in the future.”

On Novemver 16, rumors about Nwoko taking a seventh wife Sara made rounds on social media.

Regina later came out to debunk the rumor saying Sara is her friend.

“The news about Sara being my husband’s wife is completely false, she is my friend who came visiting,” she said.

Nwoko and Regina got married in April 2019 and welcomed their first child together in June.

I’m my driver’s best man – Davido

0

Afro-pop star, David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido has revealed that he will be his driver’s best man.

Davido made the revelation on Thursday via Twitter.

“My driver getting married and I’m his best man,” he wrote.

Davido’s recently released album ‘A Better Time’ has surpassed a cumulative 100 million streams across all digital music platforms.

This feat has been reached barely three days since the album was released, making it the fastest project by an Afrobeats singer to hit such a mark.

The ‘A Better Time’ album was released on November 13, 2020 and houses 14 tracks.

 

Bayelsa By-Election: We Will Emerge Victorious — PDP Boasts

0

The People’s Democratic Party (PDP) in Bayelsa State has boasted its candidates in the Saturday by-election for the West and Central senatorial district could come out victorious.

The ruling party in the nation held its own mega rally on Monday in Sagbama and Yenagoa to hand over party flags to its candidates, Hon Seriake Dickson for its west senatorial district and Moses Cleopas to the fundamental senatorial district.

ALSO READ: Bayelsa Decides: Army, security agencies deserve commendation not vilification, CDC cautions Gov Dickson

Secondus stated”the need for alternative on the issue of the systematic failures of the APC administration to boost safety, growth and economy is likely to make the people elect the PDP applicants to pass necessary laws to salvage the country.

“The APC will fail in Saturday elections since they’re seriously fragmented,” and warned the military to concentrate on its specialist callings instead of being used for election duties.

Additionally, the members of the State House of Assembly representing constituencies under the West and Central Senatorial Districtsmembers of the National Assembly and political leaders endorsed the candidature of Hon. Seriake Dickson and Cleopas Moses.

Hon. Fred Agbedi, the member representing Sagbama/Ekeremor Federal Constituency said the candidature of the former Governor Seriake Dickson was agreed upon by political leaders of the district.

He also reinforced the turning position arrangement between Ekeremor and Sagbama Local Government Areas saying,”Don’t let them deceive you on the conclusion on rotation.

“There is nobody contesting from Ekeremor. It is Sagbama turn. We’re sending a trusted and tested hand to the Senate and not somebody who doesn’t understand the legislative enterprise.”

The Bayelsa Deputy Governor, Lawrence Ewhrudjapor, who relinquished the senatorial chair of the Bayelsa West, informed the crowd of PDP supporters the current rotation arrangement between the two councils of Ekeremor and Sagbama remains a sacrosanct covenant.

“The APC senatorial candidate, Perebowei Ebebi defended the zoning in 2015 when Senator Heineken Lokpobiri tried to violate the covenant, saying that it had been the turn of Sagbama to do their two phrases.

ALSO READ: Police reacts as mob attacks Officer, Partner over Homosexuality [PHOTOS]

“It is unfortunate that now, it is the identical Ebebi that is denying the existence of zoning agreement.

“This really goes to show that he isn’t trustworthy and therefore can’t be entrusted with all the people’s mandate”

He called on Ekeremor and Sagbama people to dismiss the empty threats being issued by the APC and also come out en masse to vote for the PDP senatorial candidate.

LeBron James signs two-year extension with Lakers worth over N42bn

0
Basketball superstar LeBron James has agreed to a two-year, $85 million contract extension with the Los Angeles Lakers, his agent, Rich Paul, told ESPN and multiple American outlets on Wednesday.
James, will be 36 years old later in December and he averaged 25.3 points last season, and led the NBA in assists with 10.2 per game as the Lakers won the title.
The contract extension will take James through the 2022-23 season, giving him 20 seasons in the NBA.
LeBron will make $39.2 million in 2020-21, $41,180,544 in 2021-22 and $44,474,988 in 2022-23.
He was named the 2020 NBA Finals Most Valuable Player after leading the Lakers past the Miami Heat in six games.
He became the first player in NBA history to win the award with three franchises; he also was Finals MVP with the Heat in 2012 and 2013 and with the Cleveland Cavaliers in 2016.
LeBron is on pace to pass Kareem Abdul-Jabbar as the NBA’s all-time leading scorer in 2022-23, which is the final year of this extension, according to ESPN Stats Info.
His oldest son, Bronny, is slated to graduate high school in 2023.

Court suspends Prof. Pondei, NDDC interim leadership

0

The Federal High Court, Abuja, has granted an order restraining Prof. Kemebradikumo Pondei, Mr Cairo Ojougboh, Dr Joi Nunieh and others from perfoming the functions of the board of the Niger Delta Development Commission, (NDDC).

In suit number ABJ/CS/617/2020, Justice Ahmed Mohammed, in a ruling on an application by a Civil Society Organization, Forum for Accountability and Good Governance, the court restrained them from parading themselves as Board members of the NDDC.

Justice Mohammed also granted leave to the Applicant to apply for judicial review for an Order of Mandamus compelling the ICPC, sued as the 9th Defendant in the Suit to investigate the Minister of Niger Delta, Sen. Godswill Akpabio and the 5 members of the Board over allegations of N3 Billion contract fraud.

The court granted leave to the applicant to apply for judicial review of the power of the President or the Minister of the Niger Delta to appoint Prof. Pondei, Dr. Ojougboh and others in an interim capacity as members of the NDDC Board.

By this order of the Court, the members of the NDDC Board are restrained from performing the functions of the Board pending the hearing and determination of the Motion on Notice which is fixed for Dec. 8, 2020.

The Plaintiff in the suit said it has notified President Muhammadu Buhari, the Attorney General of the Federation, the SGF, the DSS, the EFCC and ICPC of the interim vacancy in the Commission.

The Plaintiff also urged that the most senior Civil servant or administrator in the Commission be appointed while praying that the suspended officers be stopped from accessing the Commission’s offices and files.

This, according to them is to prevent them from tampering with evidence which could be used by the ICPC in its probe.

Parties joined in the Suit are the Attorney-General of the Federation, the Senate, Minister of the Niger Delta, Prof. Kemebradikumo Pondei and Dr. Cairo Ojougboh.

Others are Dr. Joi Nunieh, Mrs. Caroline Nagbo, Cecilia Bukola Akintomide and the Independent Corrupt Practices and other Related Offences Commission.