Home Blog Page 2199

Andy Uba Threatens N5b Lawsuit Against Heritage Bank Over Staff’s Protest At Residence

0

 

The governorship aspirant under the platform of the All Progressives Congress, APC, in the forthcoming governorship election in Anambra state, Senator Andy Uba, has threatened lawsuit against Heritage Bank over trending video of protesting of the bank at the entrance of his residence.

About three days ago, some staff of the bank, while on a loan recovery drive protested at the gate ofbtge senator, asking him to come to the bank and repay his loan.

The protest by the bank staff trended and went viral on the social media.

In a letter dated June 23, 2021 and signed by his lawyer, Mr. Ahmed Raji, SAN, Senator Uba said the actions of the bank staff have exposed him to ridicule, shame and embarrassment.

He asked the bank to tender unreserved apology in five national dailies and N5billion damages.

Part of the letter reads, ”Our client’s attention has been drawn to a video currently being shared on WhatsApp, showing not less than 25 [twenty-five] staff of the Abuja branch of Heritage Bank Plc., wearing customized Heritage Bank Plc., T-shirts; carrying placards and signages with defamatory inscriptions written on them, at the front gate of the residential premises of our client, in Asokoro Abuja. The said video which we have seen, had a voice over by one of your bank’s staff with the following narration:

””Good morning ladies and gentlemen, today is Monday the 21 st day of June 2001, and we have here the staff of Heritage Bank Plc., Abuja. We are in front of Senator Andy Uba’s house in Abuja. Senator Andy Uba has been owing the bank for a couple of years now and we are here for a peaceful meeting with him, very peaceful meeting to ask him to kindly repay those loans because those are depositors fund and those monies, if they are not repaid will throw the number of people you see here with their families out of work and we know the situation of the economy now.

”Despite your veiled denial, the deliberateness of your staffs’ action is founded and the intent, to wit: – bring our client to publicobrobrium shame ridicule scorn etc. is glaring for all to see.

”This is more so, as you deliberately picked the rather inauspicious period immediately preceding the forthcoming gubernatorial primary election of the All Progressives Congress [APC] for Anambra State slated for the 26th of June 2021, wherein our client is the leading candidate to clinch his Party’s ticket, to stage this smear campaign against him.

”Surely, the damage occasioned to our client by your calculated but ill-advised action is unquantifiable. However, our client will be assuaged if a public apology, unreserved, is tendered by you and published in at least 5 [five] national daily newspapers within a day of receipt of this letter and payment
[Five Billion Naira] in damages.

”If not, we have our client’s further instructions to seek redress against you in a court of law for the same. Kindly be advised.

”We do hope that you will take benefit of the olive branch offered in this letter; the gamble, otherwise, is yours to suffer”, he said

 

COAS Visits Imo State, Lauds Troops’ Resilience In Restoring Security.

0

The Chief of Army Staff ( COAS) Maj Gen Faruk Yahaya has lauded the resilience and doggedness of troops of 34 Brigade and operatives of other security agencies in turning the tide of the recent spate of insecurity that resulted from the criminal activities of the proscribed group, IPOB, in Imo State.

Gen Yahaya made the commendation today at Obinze Barracks, Owerri Imo state, while addressing the troops during his maiden operational visit to Headquarters 34 Brigade,  Brigadier General Onyema Nwachukwu, Director Army Public Relations said.

He told the troops that his visit was informed by the need to have an on-the-spot assessment of the security situation in the state. The COAS expressed delight on the successes so far recorded by the troops and urged them to redouble their effort in order to consolidate on their successes.

Gen Yahaya further charged them to be loyal and exhibit high sense of duty at all times. He pointed out, that more successes would be recorded through compliance to instructions and loyalty to superior authority.

The COAS also called on the officers to always lead by example and ensure that troops are adequately briefed and kept abreast of the mission at hand.

In a show of synergy, the COAS also paid a visit to troops of 211 Response Group, Nigerian Air Force, Owerri, where he implored the troops to be professional and alert at all times. He expressed appreciated them for their spirit of jointness and synergy towards tackling insecurity in the state.

Highlight of the working tour was COAS’ visit to the proposed Military Hospital Owerri and a tour of Obinze Barracks.

Soludo clinches APGA ticket for Anambra gubernatorial poll

0

Former governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Professor Charles Soludo, has won the Anambra governorship primary election of the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA).

He garnered 740 votes out of the 792 votes cast by delegates. 795 delegates were accredited overall.

His victory was emphatic.

He will represent the party in the governorship election scheduled to hold on November 6.

The primary election took place on Wednesday in Awka, Anambra state capital.

Willie Obiano, Anambra state governor, and other stakeholders of the party were present at the event.

 

NANS Calls on Benue Gov’t to be at alert as disgruntled students set to protest

0

The National Association of Nigeria Students, NANS, has called on the Benue state government to be at alert as a proposed gathering of some disgruntled students leaders in Benue state anticipate to cause mayhem in the state and also fan the ember of division and disunity among students in the country.

The NANS President sound this warning while addressing a press conference in Abuja. He said the intention of these student fugitives among other things is to cause mayhem in the state and further complicate the fragile security situation in the state.

Asefon said he will not allow criminals to gather anywhere in Benue State masquerading as students thereby tarnishing the good relationship that exists between the Benue State Governor and the students.

Asefon noted that students of goodwill should concentrate on how to join hands with the Benue state governor to improve security in the state rather than complicating it.

Speaking further, he called on security apparatuses in Benue State to treat these impostors as criminals that they are and reject their efforts to pitch legitimate students against the people’s government of Benue State.

While commending the Governor of Benue State on his proactiveness on the issue of security of his people, Asefon vow to storm Benue State to flush these criminals out and also use the privileges solidarize with the people and government of Benue State and offer his moral support in the fight against rampaging marauders in the State.

“Those who are unrepentant in their effort to cause security breach will be met with commemorate the resistance and we shall leave no stone unturned to ensure they meet superior power at all front”, he added.

Army Replies Gumi’s Allegations Of Nigerian Military Supporting Bandits

0

The Nigerian Army has reacted to the claims by Sheikh Ahmad Gumi that the Nigerian military was colluding with bandits responsible for various crimes and atrocities across the country.

The Islamic scholar made the allegations when he featured on ARISE TV Morning Show on Wednesday.

Brigadier General Onyema Nwachukwu, Director of Army Public Relations in a statement condemned Gumi’s allegation.

Nwachukwu said the military arm has conducted its constitutional responsibilities in the most professional manner in line with global best practices of adherence to the rules of engagement and protection of fundamental human rights.

 

Ex Buhari’s minister, Solomon Dalung hits Buhari

0

A former Minister of Sports, Barr. Solomon Dalung has highlighted what he described as the major problems of President Muhammadu Buhari.

According to him, majority of the people in Buhari administration do not seem to work along the President’s ideology but rather prefer to fold their arms and watch him fail.

The former Minister spoke at the Army Resource Centre, Abuja on Tuesday, during the presentation of a book entitled ‘Buhari in Us’ written by Haruna Abdullahi.

He said, “When I finally met Mr. President, he said, ‘I know you are somebody who can tell someone how it is. I would want you to tell me anytime, anything however bitter or however hard it is.’

“My covenant with him is to tell him whenever he is right and also whenever he is wrong. The President has remained the man I know since then.

“Buhari has not changed. But Buhari is like an angel who is invited to dance in the mould and Nigerians expect him to return to heaven with a clean robe. Certainly, it would not happen.

“The second problem of Buhari is that he believes so much on himself and insists on doing what is right. But he also does not believe that the environment upon which he operates is different from what he is.

“The last problem is that Muhammadu Buhari is one of the most unfortunate leaders who meant well for the country but so many people who are supposed to help him succeed are just folding their arms watch him and say ‘do it let’s see!’

“And it is the ‘do it let’s see’ syndrome that has made the Buhari government subject of attacks from Nigerians…”

Outrage as U.S. seizes websites linked to Iranian government

0

The Justice Department moved Tuesday to seize more than 30 Web domains linked to Iranian state media, as American officials continued their efforts to counter what they say is Iranian propaganda and disinformation at a time of simmering tensions between the two countries.

A number of the domains, including some used by English-language Press TV, an Iranian state-owned news channel, posted notices Tuesday indicating they had been taken down by U.S. authorities. The websites for Al-Alam TV, another Iran-owned news channel that broadcasts in Arabic, and the website for Al-Masirah, a Beirut-based outlet that serves as a mouthpiece for an Iranian-allied rebel group in Yemen, posted similar notices.

Thirty-three websites used by the Iranian Islamic Radio and Television Union, and three websites operated by Kataib Hezbollah, were seized, the Justice Department said in a release. The United States imposed sanctions in late 2020 on IRTVU for what it has called the Iranian government’s interference with the U.S. election through disinformation aimed at U.S. voters. Tuesday’s seizures were aimed at those Web domains owned by a U.S. company, which means that the outlets’ webpages operating on non-American domains are still functioning.

The move by the Justice Department came during delicate negotiations between Iran and the United States to revive a 2015 nuclear deal, and a day after Iran’s new president-elect, Ebrahim Raisi, took a hard line toward the United States, ruling out the possibility of meeting with President Biden and declaring he would not negotiate over his country’s ballistic missile program.

Iran’s government had no immediate response to the U.S. action.

Press TV and Al-Alam are owned by the official Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting, or IRIB, and carry content that often reflects the views of more hard-line factions in Iran’s leadership. In recent weeks, Press TV has reported extensively on nuclear negotiations between Iran and world powers in Vienna and aired several exclusive interviews with Tehran’s lead negotiator in the talks.

The site, which remained accessible from some places Tuesday, carried a breaking news story calling the seizures “a coordinated action.” The news service, which often criticizes American foreign policy, “has repeatedly fallen victim to censorship on multiple fronts, including Twitter and Instagram besides Google and its services,” the story said.

Al-Alam, which was also partly accessible, ran a brief item saying its website had been blocked, a move the channel called contrary to “freedom of opinion.”

Last year, federal prosecutors in the United States seized more than 100 domain names that officials said were unlawfully used by Iran’s government to engage in a “global disinformation campaign.”

Court papers filed in that case said the domains were used by Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps. Four of the sites seized in that action purported to be genuine news outlets. Some of the seized sites, the U.S. government said, spread Iranian propaganda in the hopes of influencing U.S. policy, in violation of the Foreign Agents Registration Act, while others spread Iranian propaganda in other countries.

Those sites, U.S. officials said, also violated U.S. sanctions against both the Iranian government and the IRGC.

Local Gov’t Autonomy: Buhari to meet, interact directly with 774 Chairmen

0

As calls for the restructuring of the country reechoes, there are indications that President Muhammadu Buhari will be meeting with the entire 774 local government chairmen on a date soon to be announced.

The meeting will discuss devolution of powers to the third tier of government.

Sources disclosed to Television Nigerian  the meeting became necessary owing to the overbearing attitudes of some state governors who muscle funds meant for the development of local governments.

President Muhammadu Buhari has on Monday warned all local government council chairmen against handing over local government funds to their state governors.

He insisted that any local government council chairman that is found culpable of handing over funds to the state governor will give account at EFCC or Kirikiri maximum prison.

“You people are just wasting your time; we have sent money directly to Local Government Account this week. And if you like, withdraw the money from that account and hand over to your Governor; you will give account of it properly at EFCC or Kirikri Maximum Prison.” President Buhari said.

This statement is coming after, a call for restructuring and devolution of power among the three tiers of government. Buhari-led administration had said through Abubakar Malami, the Attorney General of the federation, that what restructuring means to the administration is the functionality of all democratic structures.

Atiku Tasks FG To Engage Ex-Servicemen Fight Boko Haram, Others

0

A former Vice President, Abubakar Atiku, has tasked the Federal Government to engage ex-servicemen fight Boko Haram terrorism, kidnapping and banditry in the country. According to him, the insecurity situation has deteriorated to an extent that many people are living in fear, with losses of several lives daily.

Atiku raised that alarm Wednesday in a statement issued to journalists on how to overcome security challenges to people’s lives and property. While lamenting incessant attacks and killings, he said: “The security situation has been deteriorating rapidly, while the people continue to live in fear, including their loved ones.

“No any part of this country seems to be safe in the last two years.” He added that farms, markets, schools, mosques, churches in urban and rural centres are also not protected against Boko Haram terrorism, kidnapping and banditry.

According to him, terrorists are spreading their areas of operation beyond the Northeast and have crossed into Niger state of the North-Central geopolitical zone. He said the ex-servicemen are willing to return and render their services to fight the terrorists, until they are defeated by rolling them back. He said that Nigeria has a sizable number of military veterans, who are alive and active to fight to the finish.

He noted that as they were fully trained professionally; it serves no purpose to allow the security national assets lie fallow; since there is a lingering threat to the nation. “Call the ex-servicemen up immediately by mobilizing them to the frontlines of Sambisa Forest and the Lake Chad region,” he said.

Continuing, he added: “the time has come for us to put in all our efforts and stamp out this menace from the nation,” noting that serving and retired soldiers had also restored peace in Lebanon, Liberia, Sierra Leone and Sao Tome and Principe and they should be engaged to restore peace in Nigeria. He said that for them to achieve this, they however need modern arms and ammunition.

According to him, the federal government should develop a more efficient means of sourcing for weapons and deliver them to troops. Besides, he added: “We also need to urgently improve the conditions of service of the men and women of our armed forces. And not just the government.” He said the Federal Mortgage Bank of Nigeria (FMBN) in collaboration with primary mortgage institutions to offer members of the Armed Forces special concessionary mortgage loans to own houses.

While the private sector, he added should be encouraged to offer discounted services to appreciate their services. “There is no sacrifice greater than to lay down your life for the motherland,” he said, stating that when the military is properly rewarded, they will fight gallantly,” adding that a country that rewards courage is one that avoids outrage.

Food insecurity worse than insurgency, we must create more access to farmlands – Zulum

0

The Borno state Governor, Prof. Babagana Zulum has said that “food insecurity is worse than insurgency, if we want to end this insurgency, we must to create more access to farmlands. We shall work together to see that we create more access to farmland, so that our people will go to farm.”

Governor Zulum said the only way to address Boko Haram insurgency is to address the roots cause of the insurgency through social and economic empowerment by creating success to more farmlands, stressing that farming is critical to ending the decade long insurgency.

Governor Babagana Zulum who stated this when the new theater Commander Operation Hadin Kai, Major General Christopher Musa paid him a courtesy call at the Government House, Maiduguri yesterday, said ‘ we must address the the roots cause of insurgency by addressing social and economic needs of the people by creating more access to farmlands for people to farm.

He also said there is need to relocate Interanally Displaced Persons (IDPs) back to Kareto, Kirawa, Ashigashiya, Abadam, Gudumbali Mallamfatori and Mainari, as well as opening up Maiduguri-Damboa road among other roads, stressing the state government will support the military to achieve that.

Earlier, the theater commander , Operation Hadin Kai, Major General Christopher Musa said ” the Boko Haram insurgency has been on for almost 12 years . We are determined to do everything possible to bring to an end this menace and madness.”

“We are going to use both kinetic and non kinetic means. This rainy season we shall do everything possible to ensure that people go out to farm”, the theater commander added.

General Musa further said ” the military will work with the police, NSCDC, CJTF, Vigilante and hunters to see that we end this over decade long insurgency. We also assured you we are going to respect human right and international best practices in our commitment to restore peace back to Borno, Northeast and the nation at large”.

While urging the law abiding citizens to go about their normal duties, General Musa also urged them to cooperate with the military in providing useful information to the security agencies.