Home Blog Page 2193

Oyo people eager for APC’s return to power, says Alao-Akala

0

adebayo-alao-akala

Adebayo Alao-Akala

Olufemi Olaniyi, Ibadan

Former governor of Oyo State, Adebayo Alao-Akala, has said the people of the state are eagerly waiting for the All Progressives Congress to return to power in the state.

Alao-Akala said this on Monday at a stakeholders’ meeting of the party held in a preparation for its nationwide congresses starting on July 24 with the ward congresses.

Akala was quoted to have said this in a statement by Mr. Wole Sadare, who is the Personal Assistant on Media to the APC caretaker committee Chairman in Oyo State, Chief Akin Oke.

Alao-Akala said, “The good people of the state are expecting much from us in APC as they can’t wait to have us in power again following the many disappointments they have got in the hands of the present PDP administration.

“Therefore, all hands must be on deck to justify the confidence reposed in us.

“All we are asking all leaders, chieftains and members to do is to cooperate among themselves and fashion out acceptable modalities with which we could achieve the desired success at the end of the day.

“As you have had from Chief Oke, let’s all go to our individual Wards and participate in the exercise as mature minds and democrats which we are.”

Oke on his own part said the leadership of the party will not give room for any undemocratic conduct from any quarters before, during and after the congresses.

He advised party members to remain focused and accommodate one another without any recourse to what happened in the past.

He said, “We are fascinated by the turn out of critical stakeholders and the calibre of party stalwarts in this all-important meeting which was organised to enable us to forge a common front ahead of the forthcoming Congresses of our great Party.

“I am therefore using this opportunity to assure all party faithful of transparency and fairness in the conduct of the congresses which we intend to use as a threshold for us to reclaim power in 2023.

“Now is the time for everyone to go to their wards and sort things out democratically and harmoniously.”

BREAKING: Four more Zamfara Reps dump PDP for APC

0

House of Reps3

File copy: Members of the House of Representatives during plenary

Four members of the House of Representatives from Zamfara State have defected from the Peoples Democratic Party to the All Progressives Congress.

They are Bello Shinkafi of the Shinkafi/Zurmi Federal Constituency; Ahmed Bakura, Bakura/Maradun; Ahmed Shehu, Bungudu/Maru; and Suleiman Gummi, Gummi/Bukkuyum.

The members officially announced their defection at the plenary on Tuesday.

The Speaker, Femi Gbajabiamila, read their letters of defection at the opening of the session.

Sani Dan-Galadima had earlier on Wednesday declared his defection in the chamber.

Governor Bello Matawalle of Zamfara State had formally announced his defection to the PDP to the APC in Gusau, the state capital, on Tuesday last week, along with members of the federal and state legislatures.

All the 24 members of the state House of Assembly, all the three senators and six out of the seven members of the House had followed the governor to the ruling party.

However, the Deputy Governor, Aliyu Gusau; and a member of the House representing Anka/Talata-Mafara Federal Constituency, Kabiru Mafara, have remained in the PDP.

The lawmaker representing Zamfara Central Senatorial District, Senator Hassan Gusau, had on Tuesday last week announced his resignation from the PDP in plenary.

President of the Senate, Ahmad Lawan, read Gusau’s letter informing his colleagues of his action at the plenary.

BREAKING: Four more Zamfara Reps dump PDP for APC

0

House of Reps3

File copy: Members of the House of Representatives during plenary

Four members of the House of Representatives from Zamfara State have defected from the Peoples Democratic Party to the All Progressives Congress.

They are Bello Shinkafi of the Shinkafi/Zurmi Federal Constituency; Ahmed Bakura, Bakura/Maradun; Ahmed Shehu, Bungudu/Maru; and Suleiman Gummi, Gummi/Bukkuyum.

The members officially announced their defection at the plenary on Tuesday.

The Speaker, Femi Gbajabiamila, read their letters of defection at the opening of the session.

Sani Dan-Galadima had earlier on Wednesday declared his defection in the chamber.

Governor Bello Matawalle of Zamfara State had formally announced his defection to the PDP to the APC in Gusau, the state capital, on Tuesday last week, along with members of the federal and state legislatures.

All the 24 members of the state House of Assembly, all the three senators and six out of the seven members of the House had followed the governor to the ruling party.

However, the Deputy Governor, Aliyu Gusau; and a member of the House representing Anka/Talata-Mafara Federal Constituency, Kabiru Mafara, have remained in the PDP.

The lawmaker representing Zamfara Central Senatorial District, Senator Hassan Gusau, had on Tuesday last week announced his resignation from the PDP in plenary.

President of the Senate, Ahmad Lawan, read Gusau’s letter informing his colleagues of his action at the plenary.

BREAKING: Four more Zamfara Reps dump PDP for APC

0

 

File copy: Members of the House of Representatives during plenary

Four members of the House of Representatives from Zamfara State have defected from the Peoples Democratic Party to the All Progressives Congress.

They are Bello Shinkafi of the Shinkafi/Zurmi Federal Constituency; Ahmed Bakura, Bakura/Maradun; Ahmed Shehu, Bungudu/Maru; and Suleiman Gummi, Gummi/Bukkuyum.

The members officially announced their defection at the plenary on Tuesday.

The Speaker, Femi Gbajabiamila, read their letters of defection at the opening of the session.

Sani Dan-Galadima had earlier on Wednesday declared his defection in the chamber.

Governor Bello Matawalle of Zamfara State had formally announced his defection to the PDP to the APC in Gusau, the state capital, on Tuesday last week, along with members of the federal and state legislatures.

All the 24 members of the state House of Assembly, all the three senators and six out of the seven members of the House had followed the governor to the ruling party.

However, the Deputy Governor, Aliyu Gusau; and a member of the House representing Anka/Talata-Mafara Federal Constituency, Kabiru Mafara, have remained in the PDP.

The lawmaker representing Zamfara Central Senatorial District, Senator Hassan Gusau, had on Tuesday last week announced his resignation from the PDP in plenary.

President of the Senate, Ahmad Lawan, read Gusau’s letter informing his colleagues of his action at the plenary.

BREAKING: Senate sets up committee to harmonise PIB with Reps

0

 

Speaker, House of Representatives, Femi Gbajabiamila and President of the Senate, Ahmad Lawan

The President of the Senate, Ahmad Lawan, on Tuesday, named a seven-member committee to harmonise the different versions of the Petroleum Industry Bill, passed by both chambers of the National Assembly last week.

Lawan, who announced this at plenary, said the Senate Leader, Yahaya Abdullahi (APC, Kebbi North), would lead the conference committee.

He listed other members of the panel to include, Senators Sabo Nakudu (Jigawa North East), Albert Bassey (Akwa Ibom), Danjuma Goje (Gombe), Opeyemi Bamidele (Ekiti Central), Stella Oduah ( Anambra), and Gabriel Suswan (Benue).

Lawan said the panel would meet with their counterparts in the House of Representatives as early as possible to reconcile the differences in the two versions passed.

The Senate President said the conference committee would start sitting immediately so that the National Assembly could transmit the harmonised the bill to the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), for assent

It had earlier reported that the National Assembly might transmit the PIB passed by both chambers of the federal parliament to the President for assent next week.

A principal officer of the Senate, who spoke with The PUNCH on conditions of anonymity, on Monday, had confirmed that the Senate and the House of Representatives would harmonise their different positions on the Bill latest by Tuesday next week.

The Senator had said the conference committee of the two chambers which would harmonise the two versions of the bill would start sitting before the end of the week.

Details later…

Leeds sign Junior Firpo from Barcelona

0

Junior Firpo

Leeds have completed the signing of fullback Junior Firpo from Barcelona, the two clubs announced on Tuesday.

Leeds boasted on their website that they had “beaten off competition from a number of clubs to secure the services of the 24-year-old.”

The Premier League club said that, after completing quarantine and a medical, the player had signed a four-year contract on Tuesday.

The left-back was born in the Dominican Republic but moved to Spain as a child and is a Spanish Under-21 international. 

He made 41 appearances in all competitions for Barcelona after joining from Betis in 2019.

Leeds did not disclose the fee, but Barcelona said the English club had paid 15 million euros (£12.8 million, $17.75 million).  

In 2019, Barcelona paid Betis a reported 18 million euros plus add-ons for Firpo.

Barcelona stressed on their website that they would receive 20 per cent from any future sale of the player.

Leeds were seeking a left-sided defender after Ezgjan Alioski turned down a new contract. The North Macedonian, who joined Leeds in 2017, made 36 Premier League appearances last season. 

Firpo is Leeds’ third summer signing. 

The club turned winger Jack Harrison’s loan spell from Manchester City into a permanent move and bought teenage winger Amari Miller from Birmingham.

AFP

Arsenal’s Guendouzi joins Marseille on loan

0

 

Arsenal midfielder Matteo Guendouzi, who spent last year at Hertha Berlin, has joined Marseille on loan, the French Ligue 1 club announced on Tuesday.

Marseille signed the 22-year-old Frenchman on a one-year deal with an option to buy.

Guendouzi made his Ligue 1 debut for Lorient in 2016 before joining Arsenal two years later.

He made 82 appearances for the Gunners, scoring one goal and came off the bench in the 2019 Europa League final against Chelsea.

Guendouzi scored twice in 24 appearances for Bundelsiga side Hertha Berlin last season.

He was called up by France coach Didier Deschamps as cover for Paul Pogba for two Euro 2020 qualifiers but was an unused substitute.

Guendouzi’s arrival comes three days after Marseille signed Argentina defender Leonardo Balerdi on a permanent basis.

Balerdi, who joined on loan from  Borussia Dortmund last summer, has signed a five-year deal.

Marseille had already extended the contract of Spanish centre-back Alvaro Gonzalez and signed young US winger Konrad de la Fuente from Barcelona as well as Brazilian midfielder Gerson from Flamengo.

AFP

Chimamanda Adichie Discusses Her Support for Nnamdi Kanu

0

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, an award-winning writer, feminist, and public intellectual, has publicly distanced herself from the ‘publication on the man Nnamdi Kanu’ that was falsely attributed to her by some unscrupulous people.
The Anambra-born novelist’s management confirmed this on her Facebook page, where they clarified that the article defending ‘Nnamdi Kanu’ was written and publicized by Gloria Ogo, not Chimamanda Ngozi.

It has come to our attention that an article “Reflections on the man Nnamdi Kanu” is being falsely attributed to Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.

Kindly note that this article was not written by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. It was written by Gloria Ogo and was then maliciously attributed to Adichie by some unscrupulous people.

All statements by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie are released on her official social media platforms,
Instagram: @chimamanda_adichie
Twitter: @ChimamandaReal
Facebook: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
As well as her website www.chimamanda.com and other verified media sources.

For any questions/clarifications please see the contact details on www.chimamanda.com

Signed:
Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie’s Management Team’

ECOWAS Court sets July 9 as the date for the consolidation of lawsuits concerning Nigeria’s Twitter ban

0

The Community Court of the Economic Community of West African States has set July 9, 2021, as the date for a decision on the consolidation of all applications before the court concerning the Federal Government of Nigeria’s Twitter ban.

This was stated by the ECOWAS Court during a virtual court sitting held via zoom on Tuesday.

Two applications against the Federal Government over the Twitter ban were on the day’s cause list.

One was the ECW/CCJ/APP/23/21 application filed by the Registered Trustees of the Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project against the Federal Government.

The other was the ECW/CCJ/APP/29/21 application filed by the Media Rights Agenda and eight others against the Federal Government on the same issue.

Abdullahi Abubakar, the lawyer representing the Federal Government, informed the court that he has filed a motion to consolidate all four applications on the Twitter ban before the court.

In his motion on notice dated July 5, 2021, Abubakar requested that the court grant him permission to consolidate the hearings of the applications pending before the court, as well as any other orders that the court deems appropriate in the circumstances.

Femi Falana SAN, SERAP’s Counsel, did not object to the application.

According to Falana, the consolidation application will “give the court the opportunity to give one judgment in the matters that were similar in nature and character.”

Mojirayo Ogunlaya, Counsel to Media Rights Agenda, did not object to the consolidation application either.

The ECOWAS Court stated that the parties to the other two cases, ECW/CCJ/APP/24/21 and ECW/CCJ/APP/26/21, which sought to be consolidated, were not present in court.

As a result, the court stated that it cannot issue a consolidation order while they are absent and without hearing from them.

The court also stated that while the applicants in each of the four applications were different, the respondents were all the same.

I. C. Uzoma, a lawyer, also sought to intervene as an amicus curiae in the SERAP suit and sought permission from the court to move his motion because the parties in the suit he was interested in were in court.

2023 Presidency: Northern elders reject the position of the Southern governors that the South should produce the President come 2023

0

The Northern Elders Forum (NEF) has rejected the position of the Southern governors that the South should produce the President come 2023. According to the Forum, the North would not be compelled into yielding a democratically elected office. The NEF sees the decision of the southern governors.

According to the forum, “We are running a democratic government and decisions over where the next president comes from are basically decisions that will be made by voters exercising their rights to choose which candidate best serves their interest.”

Dr Hakeem Baba-Ahmed explained that the southern governors come from the two dominant parties: APC and PDP, saying that they must have some influence in those parties.

He noted that the way it should be done was that the southern governors should influence their parties to zone the presidency to southern states and then work to convince Nigerian voters from all parts of the country to vote for that candidate.

He opined that the democratic rights of Nigerian citizens to vote for a candidate cannot be snatched by threats or intimidation, stressing that politicians were becoming very lazy to think they will be given leadership in a manner that suggests an ultimatum.