Home Blog Page 2184

The APC has warned the Abia Assembly about the threat of suspending the governor.

0

The All Progressive Congress in Abia State has warned the State House of Assembly against acting on a threat to suspend its Minority Leader, Chijioke Chukwu of Bende North, for expressing his views on zoning in the state.

Last week, Chukwu said in an interview with a national newspaper (not Punch) that the agitation over the 2023 governorship zoning was heating up the polity and a ploy to divert attention away from the state’s current Peoples Democratic Party-led administration’s shortcomings.

Following his remarks, the House leadership was said to have asked him to apologise or face being suspended.

“We have to make it clear that the APC sees the threat as an affront to democracy and will not tolerate it in any way,” Perfect Okorie, the party’s state secretary, said in a statement. In fact, the party’s position is that a threat to the Minority Leader of the House, who is an APC member, is a threat to the party as a whole.

Read also: Your call for resignation of Service Chiefs ludicrous, senseless, shadow-chasing – APC Youths tell Senate

“It is not about him as a person; he is there to represent his constituents and the APC, and he has remained committed to the party’s principles and tenets.

“He has remained the state’s voice of opposition, and they will not be able to dissuade him from standing up for what is right in any way.

“In Abia, democracy must be allowed to flourish. Nobody has threatened to suspend members of the PDP in the National Assembly, including those from Abia, for criticizing President Muhammadu Buhari on several occasions.

 

“The party encourages Hon. Chukwu to speak out when and where necessary, and to continue to criticize all government policies that are detrimental to the welfare and well-being of the people of Abia State,” says the statement.

In Kano, a 17-year-old boy drowns.

0

On Saturday afternoon, a 17-year-old boy named Muhammad Muktar-Tijjani drowned in an open water at Semegu Sabon Titi in Kano, according to the Kano State Fire Service.

In a statement issued in Kano, the Service’s Public Relations Officer, Alhaji Saminu Abdullahi, said the boy drowned when he fell into open water.

“On Saturday around 2:25 p.m., we received a distress call from one Muhammad Bello.

Read also: Gov. El-Rufai declares a public holiday in honor of Bantex, the former Deputy Governor

“At about 02:37 p.m., we sent our rescue team to the scene after receiving the information,” he said.

Muktar-Tijjani, on the other hand, was brought out of the water lifeless, according to Abdullahi.

He went on to say that the body had been handed over to Muhammad Ibrahim, the Ward Head of Kankarofi. (NAN)

Awolowo Has Made NEPC Successful Agency, Says Onyeama

0

The Chief Executive Officer of the Nigeri­an Export Promotion Council (NEPC), Se­gun Awolowo, has hailed the tremendous roles of Nigerian Missions abroad, describing them as key export enablers for the achievement of the Ze­ro-oil plan.

He disclosed this at the weekend when he hosted the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, on a cour­tesy visit to the NEPC Head­quarters, Export House, Abuja.

The Zero Oil Plan is a blue­print for a strategic non-oil ex­port led economic diversifica­tion agenda with an ambitious agenda that targets 20% of Ni­geria’s GDP to be attributed to non-oil exports and aimed at the realisation of at least $30 bil­lion in non-oil exports by 2025 and creating 500,000 additional jobs annually.

While presenting the Outstanding Export En­abler Award to the Minister, Awolowo stated that the award was in recognition of the col­laboration between NEPC and the ministry in driving the diversification of Nigeria’s export portfolio by deepening the ability of Nigeria’s foreign missions to facilitate export commercial diplomacy, collab­orate on opening up foreign markets for Nigerian products, providing international trade administration to support Ni­gerian companies get into tar­get markets and collaborating on setting up the Commercial Service Partner Programme.

Read also: Traditional medicine practitioners in Kaduna have launched a committee on professionalism

The export boss commend­ed the Minister of Foreign Affairs’ achievements, stating that missions abroad have been instrumental to driving the penetration of Nigerian non-oil products in their respective countries of assignment.

According to Awolowo, some of the success stories included the drive for Nigeri­an Cuisine Beyond Borders, a book by Ambassador Eniola Ajayi and the display of Cas­sanova Chips at the Nigerian embassy in Germany, among other promotion activities be­ing facilitated by foreign mis­sions abroad.

In his remarks, the minister praised Awolowo, saying he has made has made NEPC one of the most successful agencies in the country.

His words” :The NEPC re­mains a valued partner of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and together, we are transform­ing Nigeria in a very concrete and sustainable way. The future of Nigeria lies in trade and NEPC is strategically placed to help Nigeria trade its way from pandemic to prosperity.”

BREAKING: Sanwo-Olu Calls For Calm As Lagos Enters COVID-19’s Third Wave

0

Lagos, Nigeria’s Coronavirus epicenter, has entered the third wave of the deadly virus. Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu made the announcement during a…
Lagos, Nigeria’s Coronavirus epicenter, has entered the third wave of the deadly virus.

On Sunday, Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu announced this at a press conference in Lagos.

He stated that the state will do everything possible to prevent a large-scale outbreak, threatening to imprison travelers who do not provide a phone number where they can be reached.

Read also: Apologise to Nigerian Army now, Lagos Observers tell Sanwo-Olu over false statements on Lekki shooting

“Fellow Lagosians, It is necessary to provide you with an update on the Coronavirus pandemic situation in Lagos State, as well as our ongoing response as a State Government.”
“The second wave of the COVID19 pandemic in Lagos State began to wind down around the end of March 2021, and we began to enjoy some respite from the virus’s worst effects.

“This allowed us to further open up the economy, allowing us to begin the journey back to full normalcy in our lives and the pursuit of livelihoods after a particularly trying year. Regrettably, despite the hard work and dedicated efforts over the last three months to maintain the return to normalcy, we are now in what appears to be the beginning of a potential third wave of the COVID-19 pandemic in Lagos State.”

Details will be provided later…

BREAKING NEWS: The 2021 Eid-El-Kabir will be held on Tuesday, July 20

0

Alhaji Sa’ad Abubakar III, Sultan of Sokoto and President-General of the Nigerian Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs (NSCIA), has declared Sunday, July 11 as the first day of Dhul-Hijja 1442AH.

Prof. Sambo Junaidu, Chairman, Advisory Committee on Religious Affairs, Sultanate Council, Sokoto, made the statement on Sunday.

“On Saturday, the Sultanate Council Advisory Committee on Religious Affairs received reports on the sighting of the crescent of Dhul-Hijja 1442AH in collaboration with the National Moon Sighting Committee.

“The Sultan accepted the report and declared July 11th, 1442AH, to be the first day of Dhul-Hijja.

Read also: Gov. El-Rufai declares a public holiday in honor of Bantex, the former Deputy Governor

He expressed his congratulations to the Nigerian Muslim Ummah and wished them Allah’s guidance and blessings.

The Sultan urged the Muslim Ummah to continue praying for the country’s peace, progress, and development, and wished them a happy Eid-el-Kabir ahead of time.

Dhul-Hijja is the 12th month of the Islamic calendar, according to the Nigerian News Agency (NAN).

It is a holy month in Islam, during which Muslims perform the ajj (Holy Pilgrimage) and commemorate the Sacrifice Festival.

With the Sultan’s declaration, Nigerian Muslims will celebrate Eid-el-Kabir 2021 on Tuesday, July 20, which corresponds to the 10th of Dhul-Hijja 1442AH. (NAN)

Gov. El-Rufai declares a public holiday in honor of Bantex, the former Deputy Governor

0

The Kaduna State Government, led by Governor Malam Nasir El-Rufai, has declared Monday, July 12 as a public holiday to commemorate the death on Sunday of Arch Barnabas Bantex, a former Deputy Governor of the state.

Bantex, who served as Deputy to current Governor El-Rufai during his first term in office, died after a brief illness.

Muyiwa Adekeye, Special Adviser to the Governor on Media and Communication, issued a statement declaring the day a public holiday.

“The Kaduna State Government has formally announced the death of former Deputy Governor His Excellency, Barnabas Yusuf Bala,” the statement reads (Bantex).

Read also: BREAKING: Adeboye is with El-Rufai after the release of kidnapped RCCG members: Payment of ransom ruled out

“In honor of his memory and service to the state, the state government has declared Monday, July 12th, 2021 as a work-free day.

“Architect Barnabas Bala, who served as Kaduna State’s Deputy Governor from May 2015 to May 2019, died today in Abuja.

“Malam Nasir El-Rufai has sent a personal message of condolence to the family, expressing his gratitude for the opportunity to know and work with Bantex. The governor expressed his commitment to Kaduna State’s progress and prayed to God to grant him peace and comfort to his family.”

Traditional medicine practitioners in Kaduna have launched a committee on professionalism

0

The Kaduna state chapter of the National Association of Nigerian Traditional Medicine Practitioners (NANTMP) has formed a five-man committee to ensure professionalism.

NANTMP state chairman, Dr. Nasiru A. Alhaq, said the committee was given two months to complete its task in Kaduna on Saturday.

According to him, the committee’s goal is to root out bad apples so that only professionals are allowed to practice the roots and herbs profession in the state.

Dr. Alhaq stated that at the conclusion of the committee’s work, all of the resolutions would be made public in order to ensure the profession’s sincerity and transparency.

Read also: Establishment of Institute of Trypanosomiasis Research in Gombe Will Boost Livestock Production, Economy’ -Gov Yahaya

He urged NANTMP members in the state to follow the law and support and cooperate with the organization in order to achieve the desired result.

He praised Nasiru El-Rufai, the state governor, for his development programs aimed at propelling the state to greater heights.

He praised Governor El-reforms Rufai’s in areas such as education, agriculture, civil service, health, road construction, and social and community development, among others.

At Lagos Airport, the NDLEA intercepts 6.5 billion dollars worth of heroin.

0

At the Murtala Mohammed International Airport (MMIA) in Lagos, the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) intercepted a shipment of 26.150 kilograms of heroin with a street value of over 6.5 billion dollars.

The illicit drugs arrived in Lagos in 25 parcels via an Air Peace Airline flight on June 30 and were detained for screening due to suspicions about the contents of the consignment, according to NDLEA spokesman Femi Babafemi in a statement released on Sunday.

The following day, narcotics officers from the MMIA command trailed the driver and a clearing agent who were assigned to deliver the consignment to the house of a baron, Tony Chidi Onwurolu at No. 132 Lateef Adegboyega Street, off Ago palace way by Grandmate bus stop Okota, Lagos.

Tony Chidi Onwurolu, who had clearly mounted counter-surveillance around his neighborhood during the follow-up operation, fled his home before the arrival of the team of operatives who stormed his residence. They were able to search his home and recover a number of documents that helped them figure out who he was.

As a result of the development, NDLEA Chairman/Chief Executive, Brig. Gen. Mohamed Buba Marwa (Retd), has ordered that the fleeing drug baron, Tony Chidi Onwurolu, be declared wanted immediately and his details submitted to Interpol for global tracking. As a result, he ordered the Directorate of Assets and Financial Investigations, as well as the Directorate of Intelligence, to deploy their networks in order to expedite Onwurolu’s arrest.

Because of the amount of heroin brought into the country by the fleeing baron, Marwa said the agency would use all available mechanisms, both locally and internationally, to track him down and bring him to justice.

“We have tracked down those who have been on the run for ten years, and some for five years, and they are now facing charges and cooling their heels behind bars. The latest one will be no different, because he can only run but not hide for long before we catch him,” Marwa explained.

Read also: NDLEA seizes 40 parcels of cocaine weighing 43.11kg, cost over N32 billion

Similarly, the Command’s operatives seized 4.3 kilograms of skunk imported from Canada. The package, which arrived on Ethiopian Airlines, was hidden among nine cereal packs.

NDLEA operatives also intercepted one Babatunde Usman Omogbolahan Bakare with 550 grams of cannabis and 50 grams of Rohypnol (Flunitrazepam) concealed in six jerry cans of local herbal mixtures known as Gabo at SAHCO export shed, MMIA, Ikeja on July 9.

During the outward clearance of cargo bound for Dubai, the drug was discovered.

On Tuesday, July 6, MMIA Command operatives conducted a follow-up operation at Gate 2, Ladipo Oluwole Street, Ikeja, opposite the Guinness Bottling Company, where one Animashaun Kabiru was apprehended for questioning about a bag containing bitter cola that was brought for export to the UK.

“When the bag of bitter kola was searched, it was discovered that the bitter kola had been mixed with some wraps of an unknown substance. Thirty-six wraps of the suspected substance were later found to contain 600 grams of cocaine, according to an NDLEA spokesman.

Read also: Zulum Resuscitates Livestock Drugs Revolving Fund, Constructs Hatchery, Feed Mill, Diary Plants

In a related development, an Uber driver, Lawal Tunde Rasheed, who was arrested on June 8 in connection with the seizure of a cocaine consignment has been released after his cooperation led to the arrest of the real owner of the drug, Mr. Egbo Emmanuel Maduka, who accepted ownership of the consignment and absolved Lawal of any complicity in his statement.

While praising the officers and men of the Agency’s MMIA Command for recent seizures and arrests, Gen. Marwa warned them not to rest on their laurels, saying, “We must all remain fully prepared and proactive at all times if we are to bring this scourge to a halt.”

Bandits Say Abducted Kebbi Secondary Schoolgirls Already Married To Criminals

0

The kidnappers of some schoolgirls from the Federal Girls’ College in Birnin Yauri, Kebbi State, have told their parents that their daughters have been married off.

The abductors sent them footage showing their daughters were already married, according to some of the parents who raised the alarm on Sunday.

On June 16, bandits broke into the school and abducted a large number of students to an unknown location. During the incident, a police officer was also killed.

Meanwhile, one of the parents who spoke to BBC Hausa said that the kidnappers always told them that their daughters were fine.

“Sometimes they call and give us our daughters to talk to us,” he added. Your child will call and talk to you if they have your phone number.

“However, I haven’t spoken to my daughter since they were kidnapped.”

Read also: JUST IN: APC Writes INEC, Postpones Congresses Indefinitely

On June 17, it was reported that some students at Federal Government College in Birnin Yauri had been kidnapped after a police officer was killed.

In Northern Nigeria, there have been a series of attacks on schools and kidnappings of pupils and students.

Gunmen raided the main campus of the Nuhu Bamalli Polytechnic in Zaria, Kaduna state, three weeks ago, killing one student and kidnapping at least ten others.

According to Samuel Aruwan, the state’s commissioner of internal security, the gunmen kidnapped two lecturers and eight students.

Two students were shot, according to Aruwan, one of whom died while the other was being treated in the hospital.

The kidnapping of Kajuru Emir is a farcical joke, according to Kaduna Speaker.

0

The Speaker of the Kaduna State House of Assembly, Rt. Honourable Yusuf Ibrahim Zailani, has described the kidnapping of the Emir of Kajuru, Adamu Kajuru, and ten others as a farcical joke.

He stated this in a statement signed by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Ibrahim Dahiru Danfulani, and made available to journalists in Kaduna on July 11.

“The news of the kidnapping of the Emir of Kajuru, Adamu Kajuru, and ten people said to be members of his family is a farcical joke that must be condemned,” he said.

READ ALSO: A white man gives $23 million to a Nigerian man who works 17 miles to and from his job every day

“Traditional leaders play an important role in ensuring peaceful coexistence and the stability of our society; thus, the abductors seek to destabilize our society.”

Zailani stated that because of his significant role in society, security personnel should track down the abductors and ensure that all hostages are released unharmed.

He went on to say, “I appeal for calm from all concerned at this time, assuring that our security agencies will act swiftly to ensure their safe return.”

Bandits stormed the Kajuru Emirate in the early hours of today, kidnapping the Emir and 13 of his family members, including two of his grandchildren, in the Kajuru Local Government Area.

The latest incident occurs just six days after 121 students from Bethel Baptist School in the neighboring Chikun Local Government Area were kidnapped.

It was reported that over 200 bandits stormed the emirate, firing gunshots before proceeding to the Emir’s palace and kidnapping him and 13 members of his family.

Three women, two of his grandchildren, three of his aides, and five other people were taken hostage.