Home Blog Page 2160

Breaking: After winning 2020 Olympic medals, Blessing Oborodudu and Ese Brume will receive immediate monetary rewards

0

In a ceremony held on Tuesday at the Grand Prince Hotel in Tokyo, Japan, silver medalist Blessing Oborududu and bronze medalist Ese Brume were presented with cash prizes of $10,000 and $7500, respectively.

Mr. Sunday Dare, Minister of Youth and Sports Development, presented Oborududu and Brume with their cash.

“There is no point delaying the reinforcement of these athletes who have made the country proud, that is why they were rewarded immediately for their record-breaking performance,” the Minister said at the ceremony.

Read also: Herders beg Taraba’s emir for more time and promise to sack criminal herders

Chioma Ajunwa was the first Nigerian to win a gold medal in the long jump at Atlanta 1996, and Brume followed suit with a bronze, while Oborududu is the first Nigerian to win an Olympic medal in wrestling.

“I am just super excited,” Oborududu said in response, “and I want to thank all my supporters and the federal government of Nigeria for the encouragement.”

Department of State Services produces 12 Igboho court aides while barring journalists: Lawless

0

All 12 detained aides of Yoruba Nation agitator, Sunday Adeyemo aka Sunday Igboho, were brought before Justice Obiora Egwuatu by the Department of State Services on Wednesday.

Journalists were also barred from entering the courtroom by DSS officials.

On July 23, Judge Egwuatu ordered the secret police to bring the detainees to court on July 29.

Because the detainees were not produced, the security agency had disobeyed the order.

The DSS’s lawyer, I. Awo, told the court on July 29 that the agency only had three detainees who had been apprehended at Igboho’s home in Ibadan on July 1.

The court rescheduled the hearing for August 2 and reiterated its order that the DSS produce the detainees in court.

How Beninese Authorities Imprisoned Sunday Igboho and Made Him Cry Like a Baby – Lawyer Reveals

Justice Egwuatu chastised the agency for failing to comply with the court’s order to produce the applicants.

Only eight of the 12 aides paraded by the secret police arrived in court on the next adjourned date.

Following their arrest and detention on July 1 after the DSS raided Igboho’s residence in the Soka area of Ibadan, Oyo state, the detained aides of Sunday Igboho filed a lawsuit against the DSS and its Director-General, Yusuf Bichi.

Abdulateef Ofeyagbe, Amoda Babatunde, Tajudeen Erinoyen, Diakola Ademola, Abideen Shittu, Jamiu Noah, and Ayobami Donald are among the applicants.

Adelabe Usman, Oluwapelimi Kunle, Raji Kazeem, Taiwo Opeyemi, and Bamidele Sunday are among the others.

Ikpeazu accuses LG Chairmen of flushing out criminals in Abia Forests.

0

Governor Okezie Ikpeazu of Abia State has reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to the safety of Abians’ lives and property, while also pledging to distribute all necessary logistics to enable security personnel to carry out their duties effectively.

Governor Ikpeazu stated this during a meeting at the Governor’s Lodge in Aba on Tuesday evening with the Executive Chairmen of the Local Government Councils and some stakeholders in the state’s security sector.

The governor emphasized the importance of security in Abia because the state is at the confluence of the Southeast and South-South regions, with the possibility of criminal activities from these other areas snowballing into the state.

Ikpeazu used the forum to announce far-reaching strategic security measures at the community, local government, and state levels, revealing that a small number of security personnel will be in charge at various levels of security architecture across the state, with a particular focus on criminal herders’ activities.

Wike criticizes N’Assembly for refusing to transmit election results electronically

He also stated that in consultation with relevant stakeholders, the chairmen of local government areas in the state will coordinate the security apparatus in their areas, and that the leadership of each group of personnel will be armed with relevant gadgets for prompt and effective communication and dissemination of information.

The Abia chief executive urged the chairmen to be impartial in selecting those who will lead security outfits at the community and local government levels, as well as in launching the new security structure in their areas.

“It is your responsibility to provide additional logistical and training support…” he said. After laying out this plan, I’d like to emphasize that the LG chairmen are free to make adjustments based on the unique characteristics and circumstances of their respective Local Government Areas in order to improve the overall arrangement. I’m not going to supervise it.

Read also: Breaking: The arrest warrant for Abba Kyari has not been served on us – AGF

“What we have been preaching at the national level is for the federal government to allow the various state governments to have sufficient control over the security apparatus in the states so that they can respond quickly whenever there is a breach,” says the group.

Herders beg Taraba’s emir for more time and promise to sack criminal herders

0

On Tuesday, the leadership of Fulani herders in Taraba State appealed to Alhaji Abbas Tafida, the Emir of Muri, for five months to flush out criminal elements among them.

Herders were given a 30-day ultimatum by the emir two weeks ago to leave Taraba forests or face being forced out.

On Tuesday, the emir met with the leadership of Fulani Ardos (chiefs) and community leaders from 14 of the state’s 16 local government areas in Jalingo, pleading for more time to flush out the criminal elements.

The herders, led by Alhaji Sahabi Mahmud, state chairman of the Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association, pleaded with the emir to assist them in their prayers for success.

The leaders pledged a comprehensive approach to the issue in a communiqué issued at the end of the meeting, which was attended by the Security Adviser to Governor Darius Ishaku, Col. Angyu Agbu and representatives of security agencies in the state.

Buhari congratulates CBN Governor Emefiele on his 60th birthday

“Those who repent would be documented, while those who refused to repent would be handed over to security agencies,” the communiqué reads in part.

“Even if they are our biological children, we have agreed not to harbor criminals. We have taken an oath to expose their sponsors, regardless of their social standing.”

‘This is my ultimatum to deal with insecurity.’

Meanwhile, Emir Tafida stated that the utlimatum he delivered during the Eid- el- Kabir celebration was intended to address security issues in his domain.

The order, he said, was aimed at criminal elements among the herders.

“As a leader who stands firmly on the side of truth and honesty, I would never allow injustice or shield criminals,” the Emir said in the communiqué.

Breaking: Kidnappers are shot and killed while attempting to collect a ransom

The Emir bemoaned the fact that the Fulani’s image as a race was being tarnished by the criminal activities of a few of them.

Mahmoud, for one, promised to track down criminals who are tarnishing the Fulani’s image.

“What we’re going to do, as stated in our communiqué, is check and fish out the bad apples among us,” he said.

Biden urges New York Governor Andrew Cuomo to quit

0

U.S. President Joe Biden has called for the resignation of New York Governor Andrew Cuomo following an inquiry into allegations that he sexually assaulted 11 women.
Mr Biden stated Tuesday at a White House news conference that he believes the famous democrat should retire.

When asked whether the governor should be impeached, Mr Biden responded, “Let’s take this one step at a time.”

“I believe he ought to resign. I understand that the state legislature may choose to impeach, but I have no way of knowing for certain. I haven’t gone over all of that material,” the president stated.

Mr Biden continued, “I have not read the report or spoken with Mr Cuomo.”

The report was issued on Tuesday by New York Attorney-General Letitia James, who stated at a news conference that Mr Cuomo had “sexually harassed current and former state workers in violation of both federal and state laws.”

Read also: Buhari congratulates CBN Governor Emefiele on his 60th birthday

Mr Cuomo harassed numerous women, many of whom were young women, through unwanted touching, kissing, embracing, and making improper comments, according to the independent inquiry.

Cuomo stated in a video statement released in response to James’ article that he had not sexually harassed anybody and that his interactions with the 11 female accusers were misrepresented due to cultural and generational gaps.

He portrayed himself as a champion of sexual assault victims, apologizing to one of his accusers, Charlotte Bennett, whom the governor said he was attempting to assist.

He stated that he will implement new state-wide sexual harassment regulations.

Mr Cuomo also issued a report on Tuesday, which includes hundreds of photographs of him caressing and kissing a variety of individuals, including Mr Biden.

Additionally, he shared a photograph of former President Barack Obama comforting a Sandy victim.

When questioned about the photo’s usage, Mr Biden stated, “I’m sure there were some embraces that were completely innocent, but the attorney general evidently determined that there were others that weren’t.”

In Osun, we must avoid violence, says Oyetola

0

Mr Adegboyega Oyetola, the governor of Osun State, has called for unity and peace among the APC party’s members and stakeholders in the state.

According to a statement released by the Commissioner for Information and Civic Orientation, Funke Egbemode, after the State Executive Council meeting on Tuesday, Oyetola praised members from the state’s 332 wards for the success of the party’s ward congress, which took place last Saturday.

“I commend the important contributions of party members and stakeholders to Saturday’s peaceful process,” he said in the statement. I thank the Speaker and members of the state House of Assembly, the state party chairman and his team, members of the state Executive Council, party chieftains, and all other key players for their tireless efforts in making the ward congress a huge success.”

Read also:Buhari congratulates CBN Governor Emefiele on his 60th birthday

Oyetola urged the new ward executives to communicate their ideals to citizens and urged all members to avoid violence and work together.
“I am dedicated to the APC’s unity, stability, and progress in the state of Osun, and I believe that these ideals should be paramount to any party loyalist, and placed above and beyond all personal interests,” the statement continued.

Wike criticizes N’Assembly for refusing to transmit election results electronically

0

Rivers has ordered state-employed resident doctors to call off their strike.
The rejection of electronic transmission of election results by All Progressives Congress (APC) members in the National Assembly has been condemned by Rivers State Governor Nyesom Wike.

He called the decision a “coup against Nigerians who want free, fair, and credible elections,” and said lawmakers who voted against the Electoral Act’s amendment were “enemies of the country.”

He insisted that their actions were harmful to the country’s democracy’s growth and consolidation.

President Muhammadu Buhari’s failure to persuade APC members in the National Assembly to support electronic transmission of election results in the amended Electoral Act, according to Wike, demonstrated that he did not intend to leave a transparent electoral legacy.

Read also: Breaking: Oborodudu of Nigeria loses in the final but wins silver at the Tokyo Olympics

This was stated by the governor during the presentation of his nomination letter as “Governor of the Year 2020 Award” by Leadership Media Group management at Government House in Port Harcourt.

Wike claimed that the Ninth National Assembly took advantage of Nigerians’ political apathy by voting against the amended Electoral Act’s inclusion of electronic transmission of election results.

“Those who voted against e-transmission of results never had the country’s best interests at heart. “The children of National Assembly members who voted against electronic transmission of results will ask if they are all right,” he said.

“I can’t believe that anyone who went to school in this digital age will vote against electronic transmission of election results,” said the governor, who wondered what kind of country and lawmakers Nigeria has.

He declared that the APC lawmakers’ refusal to accept electronic transmission of election results, despite the fact that the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) stated that it has the capacity to do so, amounted to a coup against Nigerians.

Wike expressed his condolences to the Leadership Media Group family and management following the death of the newspaper’s founder, Sam Nda-Isaiah, and urged them to continue to use the newspapers as a voice for the people.

Muazu Elazeh, the Group Managing Director of Leadership Newspaper, said they went to Rivers State to present Wike with his letter of nomination as the Leadership Governor of the Year and to invite him to the Leadership Conference in September.

Also, according to Abraham Nda-Isaiah, Executive Director of Leadership Media Group, this is the first time the newspaper has nominated a governor twice in the same administration, having first nominated Wike for the award in 2017.

Meanwhile, the Rivers State Government ordered all resident doctors under its employment to end their strike immediately or face the government’s no-work-no-pay policy.

While the National Association of Resident Doctors (NARD) has the right to strike, it should be limited to resident doctors on the Federal Government payroll, according to a statement issued by Secretary to the State Government (SSG), Dr. Tammy Danagogo.

He explained that the state government owed resident doctors no salaries, allowances, or benefits.

Breaking: The arrest warrant for Abba Kyari has not been served on us – AGF

0

The office of the Attorney-General of the Federation, AGF, has stated that they have yet to receive official notice of an arrest warrant issued against DCP Abba Kyari, the embattled police officer.

On Monday, Umar Gwandu, an aide to AGF Abubakar Malami, revealed the information. Kyari has been in hot water since he was indicted in a US court last week for being an accomplice and associate of disgraced fraudster Ramon Olorunwa Abass, also known as “Hushpuppi.”

He stated that his office has not received any official communication regarding Kyari’s arrest warrant issued by the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

Read also: British government officials will meet with the IPOB leader in DSS custody

Despite Kyari’s denials, Usman Baba Alkali, the Inspector-General of Police, has ordered his suspension and appointed a panel to investigate him.

On Monday night, the IGP also fired him as head of the Intelligence Response Team, replacing him with DCP Tunji Disu.

Buhari congratulates CBN Governor Emefiele on his 60th birthday

0

Mr Godwin Emefiele, the Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), celebrated his 60th birthday on August 4 with resident Muhammadu Buhari.

In a congratulatory letter released on Tuesday in Abuja by his spokesman, Mr Femi Adesina, the President thanked the economist/banker for his patriotic service to the country during a period of severe economic challenges.

“It gives me great pleasure to join you in celebrating your Diamond Jubilee,” he said. Please accept my congratulations, as well as those of my family and Nigerians, on this momentous occasion.

“As Governor of Nigeria’s central bank, you have provided selfless service to your country at a critical juncture in our economic development, and I applaud your dedication, passion, and perseverance.

Read also: Nigerian government reaffirms its commitment to the protection of human rights

“As you build on these accomplishments, it is my hope that your efforts will yield even more positive results in the nation’s economy, allowing us to achieve the higher living standards we envision for our people.”

Buhari prayed that Emefiele’s efforts would pay off in a positive way for all Nigerians.

He also wished the governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria good health and continued service to the country.

“Please accept my best wishes and personal regards as I use this medium to pray Almighty God to bless you with many more years of good health and service to your fatherland,” he said.

Breaking: Oborodudu of Nigeria loses in the final but wins silver at the Tokyo Olympics

0

Blessings from Nigeria At the ongoing Tokyo Olympics, Oborodudu lost in the Finals of the 68kg women’s wrestling competition.

On Tuesday, she was defeated by Tamyra Mensah-Stock of the United States. However, she will be returning home with a Silver medal.

On Monday, the 32-year-old made headlines after defeating Battsetseg Soronzobold of Mongolia 7-2 in the 68kg gold medal match.

After Ese Brume’s bronze medal in the long jump, she has given Nigeria its second medal of the competition.

Read also: Breaking: Kidnappers are shot and killed while attempting to collect a ransom