Home Blog Page 2103

Troops repelled ISWAP attack on Sokoto

0

The presence of Islamic States for West African Province (ISWAP) terrorists in the North-West region was confirmed by the Defence Headquarters on Monday.

The group had been wreaking havoc in the North-East prior to this.

In a press release, Major-General Benjamin Sawyerr, Director Defence Information, Defence Headquarters, said that an ISWAP attack on the Forward Operation Base (FOB) at Burkusuma in the Sabon Birni Local Government Area of Sokoto State was repelled by Troops of Operation Hadarin Daji working with other security agencies.

He said troops quickly repelled the failed attack, which occurred around 5:30 a.m. on September 26, 2021, in a remote border settlement with the Niger Republic.

“The aggressive operations of FOB troops, as seen in recent months in the North West region, have been a thorn in the flesh of ISWAP and bandits,” he claims. When the main troops were out conducting offensive operations within their area of responsibility, the attackers came in large numbers, using a telecom network provided by a neighboring country, and took advantage of the weak rear area protection force.

Read also: In a new Kaduna attack, 34 people killed, houses were razed, and several people were injured

“However, rapid reinforcement by own troops helped to counter the attack, as many ISWAP fighters were eliminated, while others scrambled with various degrees of injuries, resulting in their pursuit to Bassira in the Niger Republic.

“Unfortunately, some level of casualty on the part of own troops was recorded during the encounter.“

Meanwhile, Nigerian and Nigerien forces are pursuing the remaining ISWAP fighters in a joint operation. The FOB’s and its environs’ general security has been stabilized.”

Over 2,000 Nigerians barred from traveling abroad after failing to pass the COVID-19 test

0

For evading the Coronavirus Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) test at the country’s international airports, the Presidential Steering Committee on COVID-19 has banned over 2,000 Nigerians and foreigners from traveling abroad and into the country for a year.

Mukhtar Muhammad, the Presidential Steering Committee’s (PSC) National Incident Manager, revealed this at the PSC’s Monday briefing in Abuja.

Mr Muhammad stated that the names of over 2,000 citizens and foreigners were pasted at all major federal medical facilities where medical experts were assigned to provide care to Nigerians and foreigners who entered the country during the COVID-19 third wave.

Read Also:  Cuba and NIPRD may collaborate on clinical trials for the COVID-19 vaccine

He claimed that the government had insisted that passengers arriving in the country, particularly from high-risk countries, be quarantined in a government-run facility, and that those who did not follow the protocol had their passports revoked for a year.

“We included the provision of quarantine for passengers arriving from high-risk countries, and those who disobeyed these protocols were sanctioned by having their names published and their passports suspended for a year.

“Let me assure you that we have published the names of more than 2,000 people who have evaded quarantine in our health facilities so far. And we’ve gone ahead and suspended their passports, so there are consequences for every action,” he said.

The PSC issued a Travel Advisory for Passengers Arriving in Nigeria from Brazil, India, or Turkey on May 1, 2021.

According to the chairman, Boss Mustapha, precautionary measures were necessary to reduce the risk of importation of concern variants and breaking the chain of transmission to the population.

Passengers arriving from/or visiting any of these three countries within fourteen (14) days of their visit to Nigeria were required to adhere to mandatory arrival quarantine and testing protocols in designated facilities under the measures.

Read Also:  Nigeria, two other countries may be added to the UK’s COVID-19 travel risk list

However, according to various findings, many passengers failed to comply with the mandatory isolation or show up for the PCR repeat test on day seven.

Defaulters’ names and passport numbers had previously been made public by the PSC.

Attacks: Anambra CP calls on political parties to submit rally schedules

0

CP Tony Olofu, the Commissioner of Police in Anambra State, has ordered political parties participating in the upcoming governorship election in Anambra to submit their rally schedules to the command.

Olofu issued the order in the wake of recent attacks in the State on supporters of various political parties, which resulted in the deaths of four people.

The State Police Command’s spokesperson, DSP Toochukwu Ikenga, said the schedule would help police ensure security in all rally venues in a press release.

“The CP reiterated his earlier request that political parties send schedules of their political activities to the command as soon as they begin political campaigns in the state,” he said.

“The CP mentioned that campaigns are an important aspect of the electioneering process. As a result, the police high command will be able to provide adequate security for the safety of attendees at such events.”

Read also: Why are Nigerians hesitant to take the COVID-19 vaccine – A pharmacist explains why people are hesitant to take the COVID-19 vaccine

He went on to say that this would allow the command to deploy other tactical and operational units, as well as traffic control officers, to strategic locations to maintain the state’s current public safety and order.

“In collaboration with sister security agents, the teams are expected to conduct security patrols, surveillance, traffic control, and patrols. This will definitely deter hoodlums from attacking unwitting party members and ensure that such events are properly secured.

“The CP, on the other hand, cautioned officers who would be assigned to this task to act professionally and within the law.

“In the course of discharging their constitutional responsibilities, he also called on members of the public to coordinate and cooperate with the police and other security agents,” he added.

Why are Nigerians hesitant to take the COVID-19 vaccine – A pharmacist explains why people are hesitant to take the COVID-19 vaccine

0

According to Pharmacist Abdullahi Galadima, Nigerians are hesitant to take the Covid-19 vaccine because information about the vaccine’s safety and efficacy is not readily available.
Galadima, the World Health Organization’s National Vaccine Security and Logistic Consultant, said this during a lecture to commemorate World Pharmacist Day, which was organized by the Pharmacist Society of Nigeria, Kaduna chapter with the theme “Pharmacist Always Trusted for Your Health.” He urged health workers and pharmacists to educate the public about the vaccine’s safety and efficacy.

Read Also:  Bandits fleeing B/Haram move bases over military onslaught, causing new anxiety in Kaduna and Niger states

Pharm. Abdullahi Galadima, speaking on the topic “Building Public Trust in Vaccine Safety and Efficacy,” stated that “vaccine is the cheapest and most cost-effective way of addressing the disease.” It helps the body’s natural immunity to fight disease. Because the Covid-19 vaccine is a novel vaccine that was developed quickly and put into use in a short period of time, we should expect some skepticism. There will always be reservations about health issues, but when individual health workers who are expected to protect the vaccine’s integrity lack the necessary information or have ambiguous information, there will be problems.”

Read Also:  Armed men attack Kwara community, killing one person and injuring two others

Galadima, speaking on how to overcome vaccine apprehension so that all Nigerians can confidently take the Covid-19 vaccine, said, “There should be access to information, education, advocacy, and making it available to the people free.” The government should strengthen people’s capacity to ensure that they have access to vaccine information and the vaccine itself. The vaccine is both safe and beneficial, as well as effective. Every person should be confident in their ability to receive the vaccine. People should be open and free to take the vaccine when blood is given to reviving someone who has no idea what the blood contains or who gave the blood.”
Pharm. Aminu Kuba, who delivered the second lecture, titled “The Role of Pharmacists in Nigeria’s Immunisation Supply Chain Management,” said the immunization supply chain includes vaccine and cold chain management.
“The cooling effect that keeps the vaccine safe and effective is known as the cold chain. Vaccines are medicines, but they are very costly medicines.”
Pharm. Talatu Uwa Ebune, Chairman of the Pharmacists Society of Nigeria (PSN), said the Covid-19 vaccine is very safe and effective.

Read Also:  In a new Kaduna attack, 34 people killed, houses were razed, and several people were injured

“It has been tested and approved by NAFDAC, which is why it is being used by the general public. It is effective against polio and other diseases, and it has no side effects. “The government must educate and inform the public about the vaccine’s efficacy and safety,” he said.

In a new Kaduna attack, 34 people killed, houses were razed, and several people were injured

0

In a new attack on Madamai village in Kaura local government area of Kaduna State, 34 people have been confirmed killed and several houses have been razed by gunmen.

While confirming the incident, Commissioner of Internal Security and Home Affairs Samuel Aruwan said two suspects had been arrested and were being questioned in connection with the attack.

According to Aruwan, the troops dispatched to the location came under fire before forcing the attackers to flee after a tense exchange.

According to him, the attackers set fire to some houses at one end of the village, while the troops put out three of the fires and rescued six locals from the blaze.

“As of the time of this update, 34 residents have been confirmed dead as a result of the attack,” the Commissioner said.

“Seven more people were injured and taken to a hospital in Plateau State.

“Governor El-Rufai has stated that the Kaduna State Government will cover the entire cost of treating injured victims.

Read Also:  Armed men attack Kwara community, killing one person and injuring two others

“In addition, security agencies briefed Governor El-Rufai on the roles played by his HRH Chief of Kagoro, Chief Ufuwai Bonet, and the member representing Kaura Federal Constituency, Rt. Hon. Gideon Gwani in calming the situation and preventing a breakdown of law and order following the unfortunate incident. Their efforts and leadership were lauded by the Governor.”

Amaechi opposes railroad construction becoming politicized

0

Hon. Chibuike Amaechi, Minister of Transportation, has stated that one of the major challenges facing the government’s efforts to stimulate the economy is the politicization of railway projects.

He emphasized that ethnicity is a major impediment to the country’s development, noting that rail projects across the country are being built with an emphasis on stimulating the economy rather than ethnicity.

Amaechi, who spoke as a guest lecturer at the Department of Economics’ annual Public Lecture at the University of Lagos over the weekend, said that transportation involves logistics and is responsible for driving a nation’s economy.

Read also:  House to probe N19.2b Railroad Fix contract to’non-existent Company’

“Virtually everything we do involves transportation,” he said. It is a critical component in the globalization of economies, and it opens up new opportunities for other industries. As a result, if you don’t create logistics, you won’t be able to create employment.

“Nigerians are overly ethnocentric. You consider yourself first as a member of your ethnic group, then as a Nigerian. We have a small Nigerian population, and ethnicity is putting a strain on railway construction costs. ‘I’m a Yoruba man, I’m a Hausa man, I’m an Igbo man,’ you hear. The Yoruba man is pleased that we have completed the Lagos-Ibadan railway; the Igbo man will be pleased once the railway is completed to Enugu. It’s what I refer to as the politicization of railroad construction.

“Railroads are fueled by economic activity, not by tribalism. The economics of a railway’s construction, or how many tons of cargo it can transport, is what determines its design.

Read Also:  Legal Aid Disagrees With Defense Counsel On Confessional Statement In Unilorin Murder

“Ethnicity is not a viable option. Those who fan the flames of ethnicity are those who used to benefit from the government but no longer do,” he said.

Amaechi also stated that financing is a barrier to railway development, as Nigerians continue to complain about loans.

“We are now constructing the Kaduna-Kano rail line from the budget while still negotiating the loan for Ibadan to Kaduna because the plan is Lagos to Kano,” he explained.

“So far, the Federal Government has laid out plans for the construction of Lagos-Calabar at $11.1 billion, Ibadan-Kano at $5.3 billion for a single track, Port Harcourt-Maiduguri at $3.02 billion for narrow gauge reconstruction, $12 to $13 billion for standard gauge approved by the President with additional spurs, Abuja-Itakpe at $3.9 billion in addition to the central line, and Lagos-Ibadan compatriots at $3.9 billion.

Legal Aid Disagrees With Defense Counsel On Confessional Statement In Unilorin Murder

0

The confessional statements of the suspects in the ongoing trial of the alleged rape and murder of Miss Blessing Olajide, a 300L Agricultural Science student at the University of Ilorin, were not obtained under duress, according to a staff member of the Legal Aid Council of Nigeria, Kwara State.

The Legal Aid official, Barrister A. A Jimoh, contradicted the defense counsel’s claim that the statements were obtained under duress during the trial’s continuation at the Kwara State High Court over the weekend.

Read Also:  In 5 years, NIPC generated N11.9 billion and remitted N5.8 billion to Federation coffers — Sadiku

She was in court as one of the prosecutor’s witnesses to determine the legality of the defendants’ confessional statements obtained while in the DSS’s custody.

However, while testifying, Barrister Jimoh stated that she agreed with the confessional statements and that they were obtained without coercion, contrary to the defense’s argument.

Read Also:  Armed men attack Kwara community, killing one person and injuring two others

“I interviewed the defendants to ensure that they made their confessions without being intimidated by DSS operatives, and they all stated that they made their confessions without being intimidated in any way,” Jimoh said.

The case was later adjourned by Justice Adebayo Yusuf to September 27, 2021 for further hearings.

Armed men attack Kwara community, killing one person and injuring two others

0

On Saturday night, armed men allegedly attacked a farm settlement in Ahun village, Oro Ago, Kwara State’s Ifelodun Local Government Area.

Rukayat, a teen girl, was killed in the attack, while two others received bullet wounds. Before filing this report on Sunday, the condition of those shot could not be determined.

While the motive for the attack has yet to be determined, kidnappings have been on the rise in Kwara State’s southern communities recently.

Babawale Afolabi, a spokesman for the Nigeria Security and Civil Defense Corps (NSCDC) state command, confirmed the incident and said security in and around the community had been beefed up.

Read Also:  Wike accuses the APC, Buhari of plotting to rig 2023 elections

“Around 8 p.m. on Saturday, the incident occurred. The gunmen were numerous, and they fired sporadically throughout the assault.

“A teenage girl was killed by a stray bullet, and two other people were injured and taken to the hospital,” he said.

He went on to say that the investigation was still going on and that the command was working with community leaders on it.

Ensure Strict Regulation To Stop Cybercrime With E-Naira – LCCI

0

Dr. Chinyere Almona, Director-General of the Lagos Chamber of Commerce and Industry (LCCI), has called for strict regulation of the e-Naira to combat cybercrime.

Dr. Almona said it was good that Nigeria was joining the digital transformation train while speaking with journalists in Lagos.

“In order to reduce cybercrime, it is critical that digital platforms be well supported and regulated.”

The e-Naira is a digital currency that will be launched on October 1 by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN).

With the proposed international financial centre, Nigeria’s desire to become a major player in Africa via the African Continental Free Trade Agreement (AfCFTA), and the emergence of special economic zones, among other intercontinental trade agreements, she believes that a digital currency will be required to facilitate trade and exchange.

Read Also:  330,000 Nigerians seek refuge in Chad, Niger, and Cameroon due to insecurity – FG

“Once again, we urge the best regulatory model that will boost business transactions rather than suffocate businesses that want to participate in that sector. Dr. Almona stated that “regulation should work toward achieving cyber-security and protecting transactions from frauds and hacking.”
“I plan to build on the successes of my predecessor by enhancing stakeholder engagement and advocacy with various arms of the state and federal governments,” Almona, who recently assumed leadership of LCCI, said.

Abike Dabiri predicts Anthony Joshua to come back stronger

0

Abike Dabiri-Erewa, the Chairperson of the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM), has sent a message of encouragement to boxer Anthony Joshua following his loss to Oleksandr Usyk on Saturday night.

The NIDCOM CEO described the loss as a “temporary setback” in an Instagram post.

“Winners cannot be deterred by temporary setbacks. AJ will be back bigger, better, and stronger,” she wrote on Facebook.

Read Also:  Hilltop Club applauds Ugwuanyi, House of Assembly, for his anti-open grazing stance

In front of a 65,000-strong crowd at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, Joshua lost his IBF, WBA, and WBO heavyweight titles to the Ukrainian.

Joshua used social media shortly after his loss, his second in as many years after Andy Ruiz won the first last year, to motivate himself and his fans.

“Keep a positive attitude even if the world is collapsing around you! London, I adore you and thank you for everything!” Nigerian-British writer

Joshua’s promoter, Eddie Hearn, confirmed the boxer would invoke the rematch clause in an interview with BBC Radio 5 Live.

Read Also:  Wike accuses the APC, Buhari of plotting to rig 2023 elections

Hearn claimed that his fighter had shown too much respect to Usyk and that he would have to make “fundamental changes” in order to reclaim his titles.

Joshua went to the hospital for treatment after breaking his eye socket during the fight.