Home Blog Page 2092

Bullet fragments from the Zaria massacre are still lodged in our bodies. -El-Zakzaky

0

Sheikh Ibrahim El-Zakzaky, the leader of the Islamic Movement of Nigeria, claims that bullet fragments were still in his and his wife Zeenat’s bodies six years after soldiers attacked him and his supporters in Zaria in December 2015.

He also promised to keep up his philanthropy, claiming that providing free food is essential to ending hunger in the country.

El-Zakzaky spoke when he received some pastors who came on a solidarity visit after his acquittal by a Kaduna State High Court, according to a statement released on Thursday by the Vice President (Media Forum of IMN), Abdullahi Usman.

They also came to express their gratitude for the food he had been distributing to Christian widows whose husbands had been victims of insecurity.

After nearly six years in detention, the visit came two months after the court’s decision.

“El-Zakzaky said giving out food to the needy is nothing, and he will continue to give out food to the needy,” Usman said.

“He also urged people to be kind to the poor in order to end hunger in the country.

“Sheikh El-Zakzaky, who recounted some of his and his wife’s ordeals during the Nigerian Army’s attack on him in December 2015 and their detention in DSS custody despite their deteriorating health, described their recovery as a miracle.

“The Sheikh stated that there were bullet fragments in his and his wife’s bodies up until that day. He also expressed gratitude to the Christian clergy for their presence.”

Read also: Petro Union: The Supreme Court has reserved its decision in the £2.556 billion judgment sum

The Sheikh described the pastors as his “brothers in humanity,” and said he would have liked to meet more people if it hadn’t been for health reasons and the country’s insecurity.

Pastor Yohanna Buru of Kaduna, Rev. Titus Ishaku of Baptist Church in Jos, Rev. John Ahmadu of Abuja, Rev. Peter Audu of Abuja, Rev. George T. John of Kaduna, and Pastor Julius Audu were among the delegation.

Buru, who described the solidarity visit as “overwhelming” and “exciting.”

Thousands of people in the state have benefited from El-generosity, Zakzaky’s he said, over the last four years.

Ahmadu stated that before meeting the Sheikh, he had a different perspective on Muslims and Islam, and that he was pleased to hear the IMN leader speak of unity.

IGP: No plans to resurrect the disbanded SARS

0

Mr Usman Baba, the Inspector General of Police, has assured Nigerians that the disbanded Special Anti-Robbery Squad will not be reinstated into the Nigeria Police Force.

Mr Frank Mba, the Force Public Relations Officer, made the announcement in an Abuja statement on Thursday.

Mba stated that the clarification was made in response to reports that the IGP had ordered the re-establishment of the disbanded SARS.

“The Force wishes to emphasize that there are no plans to resurrect the defunct SARS.” SARS is no longer a threat and will not resurface under any guise,” he said.
He stated that the Nigerian Police Force had reorganized the squad’s operational structure to fill the void left by its disbandment, while the Force’s leadership remained focused on efforts to deepen reforms within the Force.

Read also: N455m Grass-Cutting Contract: EFCC Witness Exonerates Babachir Lawal

Mba explained that the goal was to leave Nigerians a police force that was more effective, efficient, technology-driven, humane, and law-abiding.

The FPRO urged the public to disregard the report, claiming it was written with the intent of misleading the public.

Petro Union: The Supreme Court has reserved its decision in the £2.556 billion judgment sum

0

In the Petro Union fraud case, the Supreme Court on Thursday postponed a decision on a $15 billion judgment to a later date.

The apex court’s panel of justices, led by Justice Dattijo-Muhammad, heard Union Bank’s application for leave to appeal the Court of Appeal’s judgment, as well as for an extension of time to appeal and to adduce additional evidence of the massive fraud.

Petro Union, as expected, opposed the application, but the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Minister of Finance Zainab Ahmed, and Attorney-General of the Federation Abubakar Malami backed it up (SAN).

Prior to the legal fireworks from opposing counsel, the court threw out the issue of representation and rejected Petro Union’s former lawyer, Onyechi Egwuonwu’s attempt to reopen the controversy over the company’s actual lawyer in the case.

With that settled, Union Bank’s Mr Adegboyega Awomolo (SAN) led three other lawyers in filing the application, after which he adopted his client’s processes.

Read also: N455m Grass-Cutting Contract: EFCC Witness Exonerates Babachir Lawal

The silk argued that the lower court’s £2.556 billion judgment was obtained through fraud and suppression of relevant facts, and that the apex court should grant the application on several grounds.

Mrs. Olabisi Soyebo (SAN), counsel to CBN, backed Awomolo’s position and prayed the court to grant it in the interest of justice.

She stated that the decision the applicant sought to overturn is a national embarrassment, especially given the colossal sum at stake.

In a similar vein, the AGF, through Mr. T. A. Ghazali (SAN), argued that the federal government was in support of the application, which amounted to a national fraud and a violation of the rule of law.

Mr J. K. Gadzama (SAN), Petro Union’s lawyer, opposed the application and asked the court not to grant it because the court had become functus officio in the case.

The apex court reserved its decision on the application until a date to be communicated to the parties in the case after hearing all parties’ submissions and arguments.

The $739 billion Halal industry can benefit Africa

0

Dr. Awis Sazili, Deputy Director of the Universiti Putra Malaysia’s Institute of Tropical Agriculture and Food Security, has predicted that the global halal food market will reach $739.59 billion by 2025.

Africa, he claimed, could benefit from the galal industry in terms of economic development.

Sazili spoke at the Halal Compliance and Food Safety (HaCFoS) virtual symposium for the Nigerian halal industry, which was attended by people from Malaysia, Bangladesh, Pakistan, and New Zealand.

Professor Luqman Zakariyah, Chairman of HaCFoS, stated that the industry’s goal is to ensure that Nigerians live a healthy lifestyle and to educate them about the benefits of investing in the industry.

Farouk Salim, Director-General of the Standards Organisation of Nigeria (SON), praised the organizers and stated that SON was ready to engage a wide range of stakeholders and develop a halal product standard to begin regulatory impact assessment.

Read also: COVID-19: N300m Vaccine Fund for Katsina, Nasarawa, Ogun, and three others

Salim, who was represented by Rilwan Fashina, the Public Relations Officer, stated that SON would develop the halal sector and increase value-added activity in the industry.

Dr Abdullahi Shuaib, Director of Jaiz International Halal Certification, bemoaned Nigerian Muslims’ inability to benefit from the industry in comparison to Muslim-majority countries such as Australia and New Zealand.

Dr. Shuaib urged Islamic organizations to educate their members about the benefits of halal foods.

Dr. Monsur Salisu, HaCFoS’s Chief Executive Officer, promised that the company would continue to raise awareness and strengthen its operations in order to ensure that the country’s halal industry receives adequate attention and follows best practices.

He claimed that as a result, the country would reap the benefits of the global halal industry.

N455m Grass-Cutting Contract: EFCC Witness Exonerates Babachir Lawal

0

A prosecution witness testified on Thursday that Babachir Lawal, the former Secretary to the Government of the Federation, was unaware of the N544 million contract award allegation.

In February 2019, Lawal was charged with ten counts in an FCT High Court over a grass-cutting contract awarded by the Presidential Initiative for the North East to a company linked to him, Rholavision Engineering Ltd and Josmon Technologies Ltd.

The witness, Julius Sunday Babalola, head of procurement in the Office of the SGF, yesterday said the ministerial tenders board for the PINE was solely responsible for the award of the contract.

Read also: Corps member designs software for NARC
He said Lawal was not a member of the board and did not participate in any stage of the awarding of the jobs.

He said 18 firms were awarded contracts for the removal of evasive weeds during the tender while he was not aware of the prosecution of the 16 other firms, except the two where the minister’s brother had an interest.

Justice Charles Agbaza adjourned the case to November 3 and 10 for hearing.

COVID-19: N300m Vaccine Fund for Katsina, Nasarawa, Ogun, and three others

0

The Nigeria Solidarity Support Fund (NSSF) has donated N300 million to the National Primary Health Care Development Agency (NPHCDA) as part of its strategic support for the COVID-19 vaccination program in Nigeria.

This is to increase equity and access to COVID-19 vaccination among vulnerable Nigerians in Adamawa, Edo, Imo, Katsina, Nasarawa, and Ogun states, according to the fund.
The funds will be used to support the COVID-19 advocacy campaign in Nigeria’s six states and six geopolitical zones.

Read also:  Senate approves four-members board for NMDPRA

With a goal of 60 vaccines per team per day starting on October 1, the NSSF predicted that one million vaccinations would be completed by December 31.

The NSSF Chairman, Babatunde Folawiyo, explained in a statement that the collaboration between the NPHCDA and the NSSF would promote adequate education and awareness about the benefits of vaccination.

Dr. Faisal Shuaib, the NPHCDA’s Executive Director, said the partnership would increase vaccine uptake in Nigeria.

Police neglects and underfunds AIG Zone

0

Mustapha Dan Daura, the new Assistant Inspector General of Police (AIG), Zone 4, Benue, has claimed that the Nigeria Police Force has been neglected and underfunded.

On Thursday, he paid Governor Samuel Ortom a familiarization visit at the government house in Makurdi, Benue State.

He noted that the police have been operating largely with the support of state governors, and he praised Ortom’s administration for its support of the police and other sister security agencies in the state.

Read also:  Senate approves four-members board for NMDPRA

The AIG assured the governor that the police would always be ready to assist him in his efforts to rid the state of criminality and other forms of insecurity.

Ortom responded by praising the positive working relationship between the state government and security agencies in the state and promising his administration’s continued support.

He also urged residents of the state to assist security agencies in their efforts to combat crime by sharing useful information.

I’ve never spent Ogun local govt funds – Abiodun

0

Governor Dapo Abiodun of Ogun State says he has never spent funds belonging to the 20 local government councils in the State.

Instead, Gov Abiodun reechoed that his administration had been supporting the local governments with funds to allow them to meet their expenses.

Abiodun said the clarification became necessary to dispel the rumour in some quarters that his administration was tampering with funds allocated to the councils by the Federal Government, monthly.

The Governor spoke while meeting with the 20 local government Chairmen, at his Oke-Mosan office in Abeokuta, on Thursday.

According to him, his administration had been making up for the shortfalls from the federal allocation to the councils in order to allow them pay staff salaries, pensions and to execute developmental projects.

While saying he would keep to his promise, the Governor assured that the new council Chairmen would be given free hands to run the affairs of their respective local governments, saying they are the closest to the masses.

“I will keep to my campaign promises and allow local governments free hand to run their affairs. If they are empowered, they can complement us as they are the closest to the people and can identify their problems and needs,” he stated.

As the tier of government that can feel the pulse of the people better than the State government, the Governor assured of his administration’s support for them to fulfill constitutional obligations, adding that they would be relied on to achieve his objectives.

“You are not just a salary paying institution, your are a tier of government and a partner in progress. We will empower you to function to the fullest,” the Governor stressed.

He also charged them to stamp out kidnappers, cultists, robbers and other criminals from their areas to ensure a secure Ogun State.

Meanwhile, the Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs, Afolabi Afuape, appealed to Gov Abiodun to give grants to the new council Chairmen, recalling that about 146 projects were executed by the last caretaker Chairmen.

Mobilisation: NYSC engages stakeholders on seamless process

0

The National Youth Service Corps (NYSC)  has urged stakeholders in the mobilisation process to live up to expectation in discharging their duties.

It said it would apply sanctions on any erring Corps Producing Institution found to have compromised in order to serve as deterrent to others.

The Director-General of the NYSC, Brigadier General Shuaibu Ibrahim stated this in his address at the opening ceremony of the 2021 Batch ‘C’ Pre-Mobilisation Workshop held in Abuja on Thursday.

The workshop with the theme; “Enhancing Stakeholders’ Roles For a Credible Mobilisation Process”, is an avenue for  robust interface between the NYSC and other collaborating partners  in the mobilisation process.

General Ibrahim said that ”though NYSC has faced challenges occasioned by the presentation of unqualified graduates for National service, the Scheme has recorded tremendous improvement in data integrity.

“The on-going reforms in the mobilisation process and other aspects of our operations are therefore in line with our quest to sustain this relevance.”

”As critical partners, your support for the success of the reforms cannot be over-emphasised, and as stakeholders in the NYSC project, you will agree with me that the continued relevance of the Scheme is undisputable.

”Not withstanding the successes however, we will not hesitate to apply necessary sanction on erring institutions or officials,” he said.

The FCT Minister, Alhaji Muhammad Bello, represented by the Acting Secretary, FCT Social Development Secretariat, Dr Kelvin Ike, commended Corps members deployed to the Capital territory for their services.

He pledged his administration’s support for the implementation of the Scheme’s programmes.

The Director, Corps Mobilisation, Mrs Victoria Ango disclosed that over the years, the mobilisation platform has not betrayed its purpose, but proved its worth as a veritable avenue where ideas harvested have helped in improving the process.

Participants at the workshop include; Students’ Affairs Officers from all the 309 Corps Producing Institutions across the country and representatives from other collaborating agencies like the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB), National Board for Technical Education (NABTEB), National Universities Commission (NUC), Federal Ministry of Education, among others.

 

Corps member designs software for NARC

0

 

A youth Corper, Mr Godfrey Godwin Enang, of the Information and Communication Technology Department of the Nigerian Army Resource Centre (NARC) Abuja, has designed an application for the NARC.

The software is an in-house application composed of various applications that work seamlessly with one another linking the Central Registry, Inventory, Human Resource and Biometric attendance register, amongst others.

Mr Godfrey Enang who is also the Corpers’ Liaison Officer at the NARC, holds First Class Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Science and Software Engineering from Univeristy of Bedfordshire, United Kingdom obtained in 2017. He also has a Master of Science Degree in Advanced Computer Science from University of Hertfordshire, United Kingdom obtained in 2019 with Distinction.

[contact-form][contact-field label=”Name” type=”name” required=”true” /][contact-field label=”Email” type=”email” required=”true” /][contact-field label=”Website” type=”url” /][contact-field label=”Message” type=”textarea” /][/contact-form]