Home Blog Page 2075

Anambra: NYCN Commends Corp Members for role in strengthening democracy in Nigeria

0

 

The National Youth Council of Nigeria (NYCN) has commended Corp members that served as adhoc electoral officials in the Anambra Gubernatorial election that held on Saturday 6th of November 2021 for the applaudable role they have played in strengthening democracy in Nigeria.

In a statement issued by the Vice President of the organization, Amb. Comrade Akoshile Mukhtar.  He noted that the commitment and dedication of the Corp members to the election is an indication that the Nigerian Youth are not just ready to partner with the government to ensure the sustainability of Nigerian Democracy but also are willing to make sacrifices to drive positive changes.

According to him, on the spot information has it that the election was conducted in a free and fair manner, while Corp members deployed for the election showed the highest level of professionalism and moral uprightness. No Corp member was fingered for any malpractice or unethical behavior.

On behalf of the NYCN, he appreciates the Corp members and refer to them as a true ambassador of the Nigerian Youth. Furthermore, he applauded the men and women of the Nigeria Police Force for protecting Nigerians especially the Corp members during the electioneering process.

Mukhtar assures the Corp members, the security operatives and the Nigeria government of the Council’s support and collaboration to ensure the achievement of socio-economic and political development for Nigeria.

Anambra Guber: DG hails corps members on election duties

0

NYSC Director-General, Brigadier General Shuaibu Ibrahim, has commended the patriotism of Corps Members engaged in the conduct of the Governorship Election in Anambra State.

The Director-General made the commendation today while monitoring the election in nine Local Government Areas of the State.

He said the Corps Members had written their names in the anals of history, having contributed towards the entrenchment of credible electoral process.

Ibrahim enjoined them to remain impartial and perform their duties in line with the established rules.

In all the polling units visited, there were security agents on ground, and the Corps Members informed the Director-General that the conduct of the exercise was peaceful.

At Unit 003 Ward 007 in Awka South Local Government, an election observer, Nwadishi Faith Ossai, from the Centre for Transparency Advocacy, was full of praises for the Director-General for taking time to go round and see how Corps Members were faring during the exercise.

She also remarked that the Corps Members’ performance was commendable.

Despite the cancellation of the sit-at-home program, Anambra’s highways are deserted

0

Despite the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) issuing a statement on Thursday canceling the one-week sit-at-home order that was set to begin on Friday, November 5, Anambra state streets were deserted today.

Motor vehicles were off the roads, motor parks were closed, and banks and other financial institutions were also closed, just as they were on typical Sit-At-Home days.

Few transport buses dared to travel the roads because there were no passengers.

On Thursday, November 6, IPOB issued a statement signed by its media and publicity secretary, Emma Powerful, canceling the Sit-At-Home that the group had previously announced would take place from Friday, November 5 to Tuesday, November 10.

“Following the genuine intervention of our elders, esteemed traditional Institutions/Rulers and Religious Leaders, and after due consideration of the positive impacts of their engagement, and sequel to the fact that Our elders have spoken in our terms,” IPOB said.

“We’ve also taken into account several appeals from our mothers who rely on their daily economic activities for a living, which will undoubtedly be harmed if Biafra land is shut down for a week.” We never want to add to our people’s suffering, which is why we’ve decided to call a halt to the sit-ins.”

Furthermore, a pro-Biafran group claimed to have met in Awka on Thursday, November 4, and agreed to lift the IPOB-ordered sit-at-home.

The group issued an eight-point communique suspending the sit-at-home order following a joint meeting said to have taken place in Awka.

Dr. Law Mefor, for the Customary Government of Biafra, Nwaada Eberechukwu Anigbogu, for the De Facto Biafran Government, and Bar P. N. Okoro, for Bilie Human Rights, were among the signatories to the communique.

Other speakers included Comrade Zulu Ofoelue of the Movement of Biafrans in Nigeria (MOBIN), Chukwuebuka Ikenwa of the Biafran United Liberation Council (BULCO), Comrade Osita Chukwuagbanarinam of the Salvation People of Biafra, Comrade Clinton Umeh of the De Mobilizers Initiative (DMI), and Mazi Ikechukwu Bismarck O

The group decided, among other things, that “the Anambra State governorship election, scheduled for November 6, MUST HOLD UNDERMINED in the overall interest of Ndigbo and the long-term benefits of the Biafran struggle”;

“The Joint Meeting also noted that, based on all empirical evidence, continued Sit-At-Home, whether ordered by IPOB or not, must end because it is only exacerbating the suffering of long-suffering Biafrans, in line with the position of revered Igbo elders, particularly the Council of South East Traditional Rulers and Council of Igbo Archbishops/Bishops,” and “the Joint Meeting also resolved to constructively engage the IPOB

“All Pro-Biafran groups and Biafrans in general are urged to avoid violence in the upcoming Anambra election and vote for the candidates of their choice,” the group said, “while denouncing the nefarious activities of the Unknown Gunmen as anti-igbo and a precursor to armed struggle.”

On Friday, however, the streets of Awka were deserted, with few people visible, resembling the normal state of ghost Mondays.

Meanwhile, the state is tense ahead of Saturday’s election, with a large security presence in the area.

The Anambra State Government has also expressed concern about the removal of Joseph Egbunike, the Deputy Inspector-General of Police.

“There is palpable fear in Anambra State over tomorrow’s gubernatorial election following the unannounced election,” the government said in a statement issued by the Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, C. Don Adinuba.

Ortom has turned Benue into Afghanistan – House of Reps aspirant, Agbese

0

Benue State under Governor Samuel Ortom is now at par with war-torn Afghanistan in terms of poverty, hunger and hardship, House of Representative aspirant, Philip Agbese, has said.

Agbese, an aspirant for the Ado/Okpokwu/Ogbadibo federal constituency said the governor’s sheer disregard for human lives, gross incompetence and negligence of duty has led to the death of many Benue natives.

Speaking with journalists on Friday, Abuse, a UK-trained legal practitioner and philanthropist lamented the governor’s refusal to pay pensioners and government workers for over three years.

He said the hardship and suffering in Benue are even worse than in Afghanistan, where the Taliban are now controlling the country’s affairs.

While an average Afgan can still afford at least a meal per day, Agbese said hunger dwell with the majority of Benue sons and daughters, especially the senior citizens neglected by the current administration.

“I hear pensioners are being owed for 36 months. That’s three years without pay. I also learnt primary school teachers haven’t received a dime in the same period. Please is this not equivalent to Afghanistan”, the philanthropist queried.

According to Agbese, Benue is at an all-time low with the level of hunger despite all the efforts by the Buhari-led administration to cushion the economic effect of the pandemic and other social interventions.

Consequently, he added that people are relocating drones to neighbouring States like Kogi and Nasarawa as they believe that the governments there have the interests of the populace at heart.

Mr Agbese further revealed that more people have been killed by hunger which he described as “state-sponsored sponsored terrorism” than insecurity owing to Ortom’s blatant refusal to pay salaries and move the state forward.

“I can assure you that if the Federal government provides a bus today, many Benue residents will be ready to move to neighbouring states where they will at least be spared from hunger,” he noted.

Agbese recalled that recently the Federation Accounts Allocation Committee (FAAC) shared N739.965 billion as federation allocation to the three tiers of government.

He noted that states received N220.272 billion of which Benue got its share as wondered what Ortom did with such allocation in the last years.

According to the All Progressives Congress chieftain, the governor’s only project is Buhari and the numerous allocations that the state has received since 2015.

He, however, called on Benue People to dare the hunger in the land to challenge Ortom to account for all monies accruing to the state since he became governor.

Terrorists attack Magumeri in Borno, destroying the hospital and leaving only the GSM tower standing

0

Terrorists stormed the Magumeri Local Government Area headquarters in Borno State, destroying the council’s only operational telecommunications mast.

The Borno State Government recently equipped a fully equipped general hospital, which was also burned to ashes.
Terrorists also seized a tractor provided by the state government to the council in order to alleviate farmer hardship.

The insurgents stormed Magumeri Town around 4:00 p.m. on Thursday and began firing sporadically around 04:57 p.m., lasting nearly two hours.

Read Also:  Group commends NYSC for promoting national integration in the southwest

Despite military attempts to dislodge them, they carried out the devilish acts.

According to the Magumeri Social Media Forum – MSF, an innocent lactating mother died as a result of sporadic gunshots between insurgents and the military, while another was injured.
Meanwhile, police in Borno denied media reports that the terrorists kidnapped two police officers during the attack on Friday.

Mr. Abdu Umar, the state’s commissioner of police, stated that the attack had no effect on the police.

“The story going around that the Magumeri Police Divisional Office was attacked, looted, and burned while two policemen were abducted is false.

“The police station was not attacked, no officers were abducted, and no detainees were released, as falsely claimed.”

Read Also:  Anambra Election: INEC Starts Distribution Of Sensitive Materials

“Instead of drugs, the terrorists stole bedspreads, towels, and outpatient chairs from an unused small clinic.” They also set fire to the grasses around the building,” he said.
Umar went on to say that the terrorists, who were thought to be from a faction of the Islamic West Africa Province, also set fire to a GSM tower and stole a generator.

Anambra Election: INEC Starts Distribution Of Sensitive Materials

0

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) began distributing sensitive materials across Anambra State’s 21 local government areas on Thursday, ahead of the state’s governorship election on Saturday.

The materials deposited at the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) office in Awka included the Bimodal Voter Accreditation System (BVAS), ballot booklets, result sheets, and other documentary materials for use at various polling units throughout the election.

Festus Okoye, the INEC national commissioner in charge of Anambra election supervision, told reporters that seven resident electoral commissioners had already arrived in the state to take charge of three local government areas each on election day.

Read Also:  Anambra gubernatorial election on November 6, no going back, says INEC

He stated that adequate security arrangements had been made to secure the materials at INEC offices throughout the state’s local government areas.

He went on to say that the vehicles transporting the materials were electronically tracked to ensure they took the correct routes to their destinations.

“The materials were brought out for intact assessment by political party agents before being handed over to each of the 21 electoral officers for the State to be escorted by security agents,” he explained.

INEC’s Director of Electoral Operations, Mr Abdulrazak Yusuf, stated that the materials were specifically designed for their designated polling units.

Read Also:  IPAC urges INEC to maintain neutrality, warns youths against thuggery

He also mentioned that the Commission provided for replacements of both result sheets and ballot papers in the event of damage or an emergency.

Separately, Tony Ifeanyi of the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA), Dr Alex Obiogbolu of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), and Mr Chukwuma Agufugo of the All Progressives Congress (APC) expressed satisfaction with the process.

Fraudsters hack into Delta’s website and set the job application fee at N8,500

0

The Delta State Government has denied the publication of an online advertisement for recruitment into the state civil service, claiming that it is fraudulent.

On Wednesday, suspected hackers posted a recruitment application form on the Delta State Civil Service Commission’s website, instructing applicants to obtain entry forms from the state civil service’s Department of Recruitment and Promotion.

The submission of the form was contingent on the payment of a non-refundable fee of N8,500 in the form of a bank draft drawn on the civil service commission’s Unity Bank account no. 0010840393.

According to a statement issued on Thursday by the Delta State Civil Service Commission’s Director of Information, Mrs Theresa Oliko, the Delta State Civil Service Commission has not received approval from the state governor to conduct any recruitment, has not placed any advertisements for such, and has not authorized anyone to do so.

Read Also:  In one year, the value of currency in circulation increased to N2.9 trillion

“The commission does not advertise recruitment or any of its activities online,” the statement said, adding that “no one should make any payment whatsoever into the bank account mentioned in the said fake online advertisement.”

The director referred to the advertisement as a hoax and advised the public to disregard it.

Group commends NYSC for promoting national integration in the southwest

0

The Coalition of Progressive Yoruba Youths (CPYY) has hailed the National Youth Service Corps scheme for fostering unity across the country, particularly in the southwest.

The group gave the commendation after a strategic tour of the scheme’s operations in the region.

Speaking at a press conference on Friday in Lagos, President, Kola Salau, saluted the NYSC authorities for prioritising the welfare and security of corps members at a time the nation is plagueed by multiple security and economic challenges particularly COVID-19.

The Coalition of Progressive Yoruba Youths said it is satisfied with the state of the NYSC facilities and measures across the South West orientation camps.

“As a group of patriots, with unflinching belief in one united Nigeria, we wish to commend the leadership of the NYSC under the Director-General, Brig.-Gen. Shuaibu Ibrahim, for using the scheme to promote national integration and unity, at this time, when the country is passing through a very challenging period in its journey to nationhood,” Salau said.

He added that the “NYSC scheme has not derailed from its set objective, as it has continued to serve as one of the only true nationalistic institutions in the country today, encouraging cultural integration and building bridges of cohesion and harmonious coexistence across the diverse ethnic nationalities in Nigeria”.

The group further noted that the proposed NYSC trust fund is the climax of the many reforms the scheme has witnessed over the years, appealing to “well-meaning Nigerians to support the trust fund, so as to mitigate the devastating effect of the unemployment rate in the country”.

Salau added, “The Trust fund which if approved by Nigerians and their representatives at the National Assembly, will provide start up capitals for corps members after their service year, will equally prove effective in curtailing the post service depression and hopelessness that often affect majority of Nigeria’s ex corps members, who after a meritorious service to their fatherland, are ushered into a bleak future, devoid of a platform to release their energy, and eke out a living. This will also minimize crime as the youths will now channel their vigour towards more productive ventures that will positively benefit the society”.

The CPYY noted that the “NYSC has also undertaken practical measures to ensure the welfare and safety of corps members. We are also confident that the efforts of the scheme to get a rebate on flight charges for corps members, will help eliminate the risk often associated with the transportation of corps members to their various states of deployment”.

It, however, expressed gratitude to the Director-General of NYSC, Brig.-Gen. Shuaibu Ibrahim and the various state coordinators for the conducive environment availed the group during this tour.

Ministry will take full charge of D’Tigers’ World Cup campaign

0

There are strong indications that the Federal Ministry of Youth and Sports Development will take full charge of Nigeria’s basketball World Cup campaign, as well as the participation of one of the country’s clubs in the Basketball Africa League, beginning this month.

The D’Tigers, Nigeria’s senior men’s basketball team, begin their quest for a spot in the World Cup with a difficult match against Angola later this month, while the representatives to the Basketball Africa League (BAL) will be known before November 20, 2021.

Read Also:  Falconets coach invites England-based Adebowale, 30 others players to Congo clash

According to a source, the Ministry has assembled a four-man task force to oversee these events so that the country can put up credible performances in the competitions. For the last few weeks, the taskforce has been hard at work.
“This taskforce will ensure that plans are drawn up to select Nigerian representatives to the Basketball Africa League as well as the D’Tigers’ preparations for the World Cup qualifiers.” So you can see that the Ministry is now fully in charge in order to avoid any embarrassment for Nigeria,” a top Sports Ministry official confirmed.

Falconets coach invites England-based Adebowale, 30 others players to Congo clash

0

BRIGHTON The only overseas-based players invited by Falconets coach Christopher Danjuma for their U-20 Women’s World Cup qualifier against Congo next month are Hove Albion forward Juliet Adebowale and Denmark-based Joy Omewa.

The Nigeria Football Federation’s Communications Department released the 31-man squad in a statement on Thursday.

River United, the reigning Nigeria Women’s Football League champions, have four players in the squad, as do Edo Queens, Sunshine Queens, and Bayelsa Queens.

Read also:  Gov. Diri awards an N4 million scholarship to 9-year-old African chess champion

The invited home-based players are expected to return to the team’s camp at the Serob Hotel in Abuja on Sunday with their training kits, international e-passports, and certificates of birth, while the overseas-based players are expected to arrive by the end of the month.

The four Rivers Angels players who are competing in the inaugural CAF Women’s Champions League in Egypt have been excused from camp until the competition is over.