In relation to the abduction and killing of three Cameroonian citizens in the state, the Anambra State Police Command has detained four more suspects.
In Anambra West Local Government Area, the victims were allegedly kidnapped in November 2025, murdered, and their remains disposed of in a river. After their decaying remains were later found floating on the sea by police officers, a thorough investigation was launched.
Initially, the investigation resulted in the arrest of two defendants who were allegedly providing information. But according to a statement released on Monday by SP Tochukwu Ikenga, the Police Public Relations Officer, confessions from the previous suspects led to the arrest of four additional people on Friday.
Ikenga said that after a gunfight with security personnel, the criminals were caught at a shrine in Nando, Anambra East Local Government Area.
The accused were identified by him as Michael Ekwunife, 38; Nwabunne Bright, 27; Chinecherem Chiama, 21; and Chukwuemeka Emmanuel, also known as “Ugoebenajah,” 27, the purported chief priest of the shrine.
Five rounds of 9mm ammo, ten live cartridges, expanded ammunition, a machete, two pump-action guns, a locally manufactured Beretta handgun, and various charms were among the items found at the scene.
According to Ikenga, the operation was executed by members of the Rapid Response Squad, Awkuzu, who were acting on reliable information from the detained detainees.
Upon arriving at the shrine, roughly thirty physically fit guys were seen assembled on the grounds. The statement stated in part that the armed individuals opened fire on the operatives after spotting the police.
“The armed individuals were engaged in a gunfight by the professional response of the police officers. The main suspect, Oroma Etiti Anam native Uchenna Mmaduamaka Nicholas, escaped with other gang members who were wounded, although one of the suspects who was apprehended was shot in the thigh and is presently being treated at a hospital.
The police claimed that although efforts are being made to capture gang members who are escaping, the captured suspects are being questioned.
The command called on the public to contribute valuable information to support current investigations and reaffirmed its dedication to protecting people.
On November 29, 2025, it had previously reported that a river in Anambra West LGA had yielded two decaying female bodies that were thought to be those of three missing Cameroonian ladies.
The horrific discovery was made on November 28, 2025, after a thorough search along the Omambala River by members of the Rapid Response Squad, Awkuzu, along with professional divers and local volunteers, Ikenga revealed at the time.
Two suspects, Nonso Augustine Akpeh, 37, and Kingsley Akpeh, 44, were first taken into custody to aid in the investigation, he said, while a third suspect was released on bail.
Join Television Nigerian Whatsapp Now
Join Television Nigerian Facebook Now
Join Television Nigerian Twitter Now
Join Television Nigerian YouTUbe Now




